Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM

51 posts, read 81,576 times

Advertisements

I just left the Adams county DMV this afternoon with my wallet being $524 lighter for registering an '06 Subaru. That is far and away the most I've ever paid to title a car anywhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM

546 posts, read 1,820,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriated View Post
I just left the Adams county DMV this afternoon with my wallet being $524 lighter for registering an '06 Subaru. That is far and away the most I've ever paid to title a car anywhere....
Ouch. I feel your pain. That seems like a lot for a 7 year old car! Do the fees vary a lot by county? I think I paid about that amount and my SUV is a 2012 but we are in Jeffco (unincorporated).

You do pay to own a vehicle and drive here-that's for sure! To the OP--I don't think I would risk having to pay fees/taxes to your current state and then having to pay again here. When we moved here the Motor Vehicle Dept could care less that I had already paid registration in another state for the current year. No pro rating or credits going on that's for sure! I do remember when I was waiting several people were making comments about the expense here to register a vehicle.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Ouch. I feel your pain. That seems like a lot for a 7 year old car! Do the fees vary a lot by county? I think I paid about that amount and my SUV is a 2012 but we are in Jeffco (unincorporated).

You do pay to own a vehicle and drive here-that's for sure! To the OP--I don't think I would risk having to pay fees/taxes to your current state and then having to pay again here. When we moved here the Motor Vehicle Dept could care less that I had already paid registration in another state for the current year. No pro rating or credits going on that's for sure! I do remember when I was waiting several people were making comments about the expense here to register a vehicle.
I've been told that the fees do vary. I actually bought this car here in CO. I paid state tax on the purchase, then ended up paying 3.67% or something to the county when I registered it.

If I were the OP, I'd for sure wait and buy a car here. Seems like wasted cash otherwise. If you were to buy a car there, ask the dealer about temporary registration. Maybe you can avoid registering it there?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,465,274 times
You cant buy a car where you don't live. I've bought a car through USAA in other states, but when I get home I register and pay the sales tax.

Registering a car in CO is a rip off. $800 for a $39k car when I bought it! I think all that money goes to the fancy emmissions stations. In other states you need an annual inspection. Any mechanic can do it. It's about $80+$50 for registration in PA.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,114,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
You cant buy a car where you don't live. I've bought a car through USAA in other states, but when I get home I register and pay the sales tax.

Registering a car in CO is a rip off. $800 for a $39k car when I bought it! I think all that money goes to the fancy emmissions stations. In other states you need an annual inspection. Any mechanic can do it. It's about $80+$50 for registration in PA.
True, but our property taxes are very low, and income tax is about average for states. Every state is going to get into your wallet, they just do it in different ways (i.e. Texas: no income tax, very high property tax).

Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
True, but our property taxes are very low, and income tax is about average for states. Every state is going to get into your wallet, they just do it in different ways (i.e. Texas: no income tax, very high property tax).
Florida. No income tax...high tax on booze. Haha.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,259,634 times
I've decided to buy my car in Denver. Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Buy a Subaru and you'll fit right in to Denver! Seems to be the most popular car here.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 218 times
Default Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Are you buying a new or used car?
Sales tax in Colorado is typically 7.5-8.5%.
I am in Bailey and ours is 3.5

Old 02-10-2024, 12:46 PM

371 posts, read 364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriated View Post
Buy a Subaru and you'll fit right in to Denver! Seems to be the most popular car here.
Twice in a couple decades, I've spoken with car dealers who confirm that used Subarus sell higher in Denver than anywhere else. That's one more reason I don't buy them, but many do.

You might find more EVs and hybrids in Washington. That's what I found when I helped my daughter buy a car up there.

I'd expect to find more 2WD vehicles in Seattle, where snow is rare.

Seattle salts its streets for snow, and Colorado doesn't. That might be a reason not to buy the Seattle car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver