Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 21,785 times

Advertisements

Thinking about transferring to DEN airport with Southwest Airlines. Work on the ramp was just wondering how the whole airport was in general like parking facilities cleanslenies employees how the ramp operates supervisors and overtime. Anyone who has worked at this airport feel free to respond even if you haven't worked for southwest.

I work for a major airline I'm 21 years old I was thinking about transferring to Denver would be working on the ramp was just wondering some general information.

My questions are pretty simple how is the Parking the facilities people, commute to airport , how clean the is airport age of most of the people working there just general information about working at the airport and stuff like that !

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-06-2014 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
I'm willing to bet that working here will be 95% same as wherever you are now, save for our drier air and abundant sunshine. The airport is maybe 20 years old, is one of the nicer ones I've been in over the years and should be a decent place to work. A rail line is going in there now, lots of construction. I'm sure they have the parking issues for employees squared away.

Be aware that winter temps out there can hit 20 below zero with a mean wind chill, but hundreds of people work out there so how bad can it be if you have the proper clothing.

If you can get the job here, take it. You're young, little to lose, lots to gain.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM

13 posts, read 21,785 times
thats another thing i was wondering about was the winters im from new york so I am no stranger to cold but from what i hear the snow is gone in a day ? how is the traffic when it snows going to the airport

Old 03-06-2014, 04:37 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclavin22 View Post
thats another thing i was wondering about was the winters im from new york so I am no stranger to cold but from what i hear the snow is gone in a day ? how is the traffic when it snows going to the airport
I've never driven in Denver during a snow event, but the consensus on here is that the main roads are well plowed by Denver / CDOT. Most snow does goes away quickly here, the bright sun and dry air help it to evaporate quickly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM

194 posts, read 273,089 times
Read this…… Be aware you may wind up 8 stories underground in some secret cult like thing…..

http://thechive.com/2012/03/08/somet...ort-25-photos/

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,250 times
Pena Boulevard is the main road to DIA and the airport cleans the snow off so well you could eat off of it. The same can't be said about the other interstates needed to get there, you might want to try finding a place to live close to it. Stay in Green Valley Ranch not Montbello and stay away from North Aurora. Downside is it will be more expensive living close by.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 AM

331 posts, read 465,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Pena Boulevard is the main road to DIA and the airport cleans the snow off so well you could eat off of it. The same can't be said about the other interstates needed to get there, you might want to try finding a place to live close to it. Stay in Green Valley Ranch not Montbello and stay away from North Aurora. Downside is it will be more expensive living close by.
Totally true about the road conditions. The only downside is that in snow events they apply a lot of mag chloride on Pena and the other airport roadways, along with plowing them. I've always heard you need to clean that sticky mag chloride residue off your car, including the undercarriage, so when I worked at DEN I was diligent about running my car through a commercial car wash every week or so in the winter (obviously as weather allowed). Maybe I was over-diligent but my cars and I were happy.

I worked indoors and not outside. But one thing to keep in mind about winters here vs. New York, is that Denver's on the high - and dry - plains. The low humidity means that the cold doesn't bite into your bones the way that it does in higher humidity. I just read a tweet the other day from a guy who after living in Denver, has just moved for a new job, and is in Atlanta for training. He tweeted that he'd jogged to the health club for his morning workout and that "27 in Atlanta feels like 7 in Denver." I have the same experience in more humid places in winter; 40 degrees here usually feels fairly comfortable, while 40 in London or Houston or Dallas feels cold.

There are two employee parking lots at DEN: Landside and airside. They are on the road where the rental car facilities are. I couldn't find info online about them. You can call the parking office at 303-342-4090, or get the details from your employer. There's an employee parking service booth in the main Terminal where you can get/update your parking access card, etc. You pay a monthly fee, and each lot is served by a shuttle bus system.

Generally when it snows here the state and local governments manage to clear the main roads and highways pretty well. Side streets do not get plowed, which I understand is different from East and Midwest cities where side streets are plowed (specifically I've heard that Chicago plows all streets). It's not true that the snow always melts by the next day, but it is true that in winter we usually don't get weeks of unrelenting iced and snowed up conditions. Of course there are exceptions, but the mile high sunshine helps manage the snow and the tolerability of winter in general.

Good luck with your decision. I came to Denver a loonng time ago in my 20's and liked it, so I'd advise you to give it a try unless you come across something that's a total deal-breaker.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
Read this…… Be aware you may wind up 8 stories underground in some secret cult like thing…..

Something is rotten in the Denver airport (13 Photos) : theCHIVE

Ah, nothing like a good DIA conspiracy.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Ah, nothing like a good DIA conspiracy.
Why not? You know the now-unclassified story of the luxury resort, Greenbriar Hotel, in W. Virgina?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
Totally true about the road conditions. The only downside is that in snow events they apply a lot of mag chloride on Pena and the other airport roadways, along with plowing them. I've always heard you need to clean that sticky mag chloride residue off your car, including the undercarriage, so when I worked at DEN I was diligent about running my car through a commercial car wash every week or so in the winter (obviously as weather allowed). Maybe I was over-diligent but my cars and I were happy.

I worked indoors and not outside. But one thing to keep in mind about winters here vs. New York, is that Denver's on the high - and dry - plains. The low humidity means that the cold doesn't bite into your bones the way that it does in higher humidity. I just read a tweet the other day from a guy who after living in Denver, has just moved for a new job, and is in Atlanta for training. He tweeted that he'd jogged to the health club for his morning workout and that "27 in Atlanta feels like 7 in Denver." I have the same experience in more humid places in winter; 40 degrees here usually feels fairly comfortable, while 40 in London or Houston or Dallas feels cold.

There are two employee parking lots at DEN: Landside and airside. They are on the road where the rental car facilities are. I couldn't find info online about them. You can call the parking office at 303-342-4090, or get the details from your employer. There's an employee parking service booth in the main Terminal where you can get/update your parking access card, etc. You pay a monthly fee, and each lot is served by a shuttle bus system.

Generally when it snows here the state and local governments manage to clear the main roads and highways pretty well. Side streets do not get plowed, which I understand is different from East and Midwest cities where side streets are plowed (specifically I've heard that Chicago plows all streets). It's not true that the snow always melts by the next day, but it is true that in winter we usually don't get weeks of unrelenting iced and snowed up conditions. Of course there are exceptions, but the mile high sunshine helps manage the snow and the tolerability of winter in general.

Good luck with your decision. I came to Denver a loonng time ago in my 20's and liked it, so I'd advise you to give it a try unless you come across something that's a total deal-breaker.
Yep they use the mag chloride instead of salt and sand which over course eliminates your car rusting out like they do in Chicago. I lived there my whole life and never took that much care of washing my car underneath so I don't think it's a real big problem. It can however be tough to see out your windshield, it kind of makes it smeary so make sure you always have washer fluid in your car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: