Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Never worked there but I have one memorable experience with Dish. When I lived in Littleton, a Dish technician knocked on my door, I didn't answer it as I didn't have Dish. 15 minutes later I realize there's a man walking around my back yard, it was the technician. He had gotten a ladder and climbed over my fence to get into my backyard!!
In some states, people like this would be introduced to the barrel end of a pistol.
Of course, having said that, when I switched from XFinity internet to Centurylink, the installer had to go into my neighbors yard to check connections. Also with DISH being satellite based, I don't see a reason at all why they would need to be in someone else's yard.

Last edited by headingtoDenver; 06-12-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Well, his van and his uniform said Dish Network, so yes, I'm sure that it was not Comcast.
OK then.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 AM

228 posts, read 201,283 times
They offered me a job last year and were really willing to throw $$$ at me. I declined the position because their benefits were poor and their reputation as an employer was even worse. The people I interviewed with seemed nice enough. But it was clear to me that they have difficulty recruiting employees.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:15 PM

99 posts, read 166,637 times
Thanks for the additional feedback on the culture, guys. It sounds just... delightful. That said, I'm still gonna see how far I can get before making any kinds of decisions. With that in mind, again, any recommendations on how to prep for the assessment? I was head-hunted for a job in creative services that balances brand strategy, project management and creative design. I haven't taken a math class in 15+ years. Honestly, not sure what "kind" of mathematical / qualitative skills and knowledge they'll be assessing, so not sure how to brush up on those skills before diving in. Any advice? (other than, "don't apply")

Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
The last response in this thread is from nearly 2 1/2 years ago. I'm wondering if there are any brave souls who have worked at DISH more recently who could comment on what the culture's been like in 2016-17 since Ergen resumed his CEO position in mid 2015. I, too, was recently contacted by a recruiter for one of, apparently, several positions available with the SLING team.

At first, the idea of working for a company with the presence and resources of DISH seemed appealing. Then, I started doing some research on the org and read so many of these horror stories. Despite those horror stories, I'm likely going to continue with the interview process -- even if it's just to experience it and learn from it.

I'm especially interested to hear from folks who've worked in marketing at DISH. What's your experience been like?

Also, can anyone offer insight on this pre-employment questionnaire one has to take? I've had a phone interview and a Skype interview -- both with HR. Now, I'm being asked to take this questionnaire which is being likened to the SAT. I'm applying for a creative services / creative strategy job. It's been 15+ years since I've taken a math class. Any tips on how best to brush up for something like this?
My best advice: Run away. In a 2% unemployment economy, there is simply no reason to subject yourself to DISH.

Just one example: If you work at the corporate HQ, you are essentially "trapped" in the building from 9 AM to 3 PM. "Core hours," they call it. If you have a doctor appointment, or need to see a child's play or do an activity, you cannot do so without written permission from your boss. Honestly.

If that isn't a strong clue about overall culture there, I don't know what is. Find a company that treats you like the adult you are.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Yes, I've been working for DISH, technically in their engineering spin-off named EchoStar, until a few months ago. They've laid me off right before announcing the EchoStar merging back into the DISH (which until then was considered the "retail", user-facing business arm).

After investing a lot of dedication and overtime (practically giving them 200% of my energy), they have just kicked me out after working there for 3yr+ and even relocating from an area to another (Superior->Centennial/Englewood/Inverness) just to show even more dedication and commitment.

Did I mention that Glassdoor is actually in bed with them, and rejecting any objective reviews on DISH or EchoStar, as the latter is considered a paid member?

Advice of the wise: avoid this company at all costs. The only positive thing I've found about this company was that it somewhat looks good on your resume, that's all.

I sincerely hope that Charlie Ergen, along with its close circle of individuals (aka gang) such as Dugan and Vivek (an example of two incompetent, imbecile executives), will go BROKE some day. They have left a family of 4, with just one breadwinner, and coming all the way down from Canada, and cutting all the residential ties with Canada, in despair and without future. There is a God and He will listen to this.
I happen to know Dugan well. Extremely competent and hard driving engineering executive. And one of the smarter people every to run an organization. And the most interesting thing is he was probably the most protective of people in his organization of anyone I ever saw operate.

So your story does not compute.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:11 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Here's the Wiki page on Charley Ergen of Dish Network.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver