Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others. Talk to your kids about stranger danger. Also, many are labeled a sex offender when all they did was sleep with someone under the age of 18 when they were kids.

It's your responsibility to keep your kids safe and street smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:11 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,373,040 times
I tend to believe that the incidence of sexual predation upon young children (as opposed to teenagers and runaways) is actually diminishing, because of several factors.

I grew up in Pennsylvania during the late 50's - early 60's, and can recall no less than five children under age 14 who died at the hands of sexual predators in that state alone; two of the cases were solved and the perpetrators either executed or sentenced to life. A third victim might have fallen to one of those two, but the case was never closed. The other two were never solved, but not linked to the solved cases (the "perps" were accounted for).

Since those days, the nation's population has increased by about 70%, and the means to identify cases via the media and measures such as Amber Alerts have substantially improved. And it just might be that a more factual treatment of sex, as opposed to the "secret and forbidden" approach, isn't producing as many twisted psyches.

There is no absolute security, but the facts seem to indicate movement in the right direction.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-06-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
So I looked up all the "offenders" within a certain radius of my house. The one dude nearby is still listed there, and one other within Stapleton who wasn't listed as a rapist or pedophile/violent. Both of them look like normal men.

BUT, many came up south of here in Aurora (the not so nice part) and most of them looked pretty creepy. And at least 3 came up that had a big banner about them being violent I was shocked how many there were in the area between Stapleton and old downtown Aurora. And while I hate to stereotype, many of them looked like men you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Most of them were white men.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
Yes! You should totally pull out of your commitment so far and eat whatever it is going to cost you. There is a registered sex offender in your neighborhood!!!

There are close to 850,000 individuals in this country required to register as such, but better safe than sorry. Cut your losses and move / look elsewhere now. Of course, with these numbers and basic demographics, 1 out of 150 American male adults is required to register as such. And.... these people can move around. So be prepared to keep moving.

Nevertheless, to be safe - pull the plug now and find a place without anyone objectionable in the vicinity. Good luck with that. Of course, you won't know about the serial drunk driver (about to take little Johnny out as he rides his scooter on your street) or the drug dealer (who might just get Junior hooked on meth), but heaven forbid there is a guy on your block who had a girlfriend decades ago who was younger than some old daddy legislators thought was acceptable for their little princesses to fornicate. And let's pay no attention to Uncle Bob who always seemed off, and at Thanksgiving, took much longer than necessary tucking Little Suzie into bed.

No, it is ALL about the Registered Sex Offender on your block, in your neighborhood. Get out, get out now!!!!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,642,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy2 View Post
Yes! You should totally pull out of your commitment so far and eat whatever it is going to cost you. There is a registered sex offender in your neighborhood!!!

There are close to 850,000 individuals in this country required to register as such, but better safe than sorry. Cut your losses and move / look elsewhere now. Of course, with these numbers and basic demographics, 1 out of 150 American male adults is required to register as such. And.... these people can move around. So be prepared to keep moving.

Nevertheless, to be safe - pull the plug now and find a place without anyone objectionable in the vicinity. Good luck with that. Of course, you won't know about the serial drunk driver (about to take little Johnny out as he rides his scooter on your street) or the drug dealer (who might just get Junior hooked on meth), but heaven forbid there is a guy on your block who had a girlfriend decades ago who was younger than some old daddy legislators thought was acceptable for their little princesses to fornicate. And let's pay no attention to Uncle Bob who always seemed off, and at Thanksgiving, took much longer than necessary tucking Little Suzie into bed.

No, it is ALL about the Registered Sex Offender on your block, in your neighborhood. Get out, get out now!!!!
Wow, nice first post. That was a walk off.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Wow, nice first post. That was a walk off.
Obviously not someone who has taken advantage of Colorado's legal marijuana...

Old 08-06-2015, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
Who? Me? I do not do drugs. Even when they are legal. They get in the way of logical argument. Me gotst to love facts, statistics and logic. Oh. And rational thought.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,373,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy2 View Post
Who? Me? I do not do drugs. Even when they are legal. They get in the way of logical argument. Me gotst to love facts, statistics and logic. Oh. And rational thought.
You strike me as the sort of vicious, uncaring person who, if you saw someone on a ledge, would tell them to jump.

OP, please ignore this one; there is obviously no sense of empathy, or foresight, in those two posts.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-06-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 11,137 times
Checking sex offender registries really gives one a false sense of security... most sex offenders are never caught. Perhaps even 80% or more. So letting your guard down because there are NO registered offenders is a bad idea, just like overreacting to the presence of one is.

The best thing you can do is educate your children about how predators operate and institute best practices no matter where you live.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM

170 posts, read 223,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resipsa View Post
It's a shame, but the sex offender registry is almost worthless due to their inclusion of all kinds of "lesser" crimes. There is a big difference between living next door to a rapist vs. someone who had consensual sex when they were 17 with their underage girlfriend.
I think taking a pee on a tree near a school gets one on the register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver