Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:47 PM

578 posts, read 371,801 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many excuses

The cop is supposed to listen to you go on and on about how you need to maintain a perfect driving record because you're the sole breadwinner of your family and you choose to save 40% of your paycheck? What difference would that make?

The reason for the 55 MPH speed limit is because you're in a big city. There's a stretch of I-25 in Pueblo where the speed limit drops to 50 MPH, which is actually lower the minimum for "interstate standards". The exception to that standard is because the road curves a lot, smack in the middle of a not-so-big city.

Have you ever driven in the eastern part of the U.S.? The speed limit is typically 65 MPH even in the middle of nowhere with miles between exits. We are fortunate in the West that you can go 75 MPH on an interstate *IF* you are in the middle of nowhere. It's not that far south on I-25 where the speed limit goes up to 75 MPH.

Yes, there are a lot of crashes on I-25. Imagine how many more people would be killed if the speed limit was 75 MPH like you want it to be, because you know people are going to drive even faster!

Passing another car and having to speed by 16 MPH is not a big deal when you're on a 2 lane country road, but when you have plenty of space on a one way road, that doesn't work. So you were in a hurry to get to work.... so what, you are GUILTY

You can hire a lawyer and improve your odds of minimizing the impact on your driving record. I can't say if that's something you should do or not. Do some research and see how much it costs. For example, if it's $3,000, no, just go to court pro se. If it's $100, absolutely.

As far as missing work, you can call it a personal day (vacation, whatever it's labeled there) or tell your boss you have to go to court for a traffic ticket, whatever works out better for you.

I don't know of any places in America where the speed limit on an interstate highway in the middle of a big city (I-70 and I-25 is smack in the middle, yes?) is more than 55 MPH. There's just way too much traffic and merging to safely drive faster (given that many people go 5-10 over, so effectively it's a "64 MPH limit")

I don't like traffic tickets any more than you, but I disagree that the cop was there "to make money". Do you really think they pocket the fine?

Nevertheless let us know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:09 PM

578 posts, read 1,483,994 times
You are right, I have no excuse. I'm just trying to see what the best ways of protecting my interests are, especially considering that I have truly learned my lesson and any attempt at over speeding will never happen on my part (promise). So, this fining system was truly effective in my case, I tell you.

Now, to play the devil's advocate a bit here - why is it that folks riding motorcycles at 100mph in such zones, and not even wearing helmets, are never pulled over by police, that's troubling.

Thank you, I'll obey the stupid 55 mph rules, even when returning home after 12hr+ of work, at 8:30-9PM! (with the so called highway being rather empty). On the positive side, my car's mileage went up from 26 MPG to 31 MPG, cool.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,321,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
That's a good advice. Any particular brands/technologies that come to mind?
Probably the best, "reasonably" priced unit is the Valentine One. Mine is 10-15 years old, but I had to take it out of service two years ago when I got a new car. It has a metallic coating (vaporized nickel) on the windshield to reduce heat transmission. Unfortunately, it also blocks the radar signals, so I had to go with a unit that is remotely mounted in the front grill (and costs 4x what the V1 costs).

My Valentine One is just sitting on a shelf now. If you're interested, I wouldn't mind selling it (not the reason I made this post!) Do your research and PM me if you're interested in it.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,251,058 times
I would get a lawyer to fight it. Once I got my first ticket when I was 16 and realize how much they ********* not only on the fee, but on the insurance part which by far outdoes the fee, I will fight any ticket I get (I have gotten a single expired tag ticket since then, didnt fight that) but my wife and other family members all have, we fight them and on EVERY one you end up paying the lawyer fee (was usually ~100 - 150) and walk away with no points and no ticket on your record.

I dont advocate speeding or driving crazy, but I also dont advocate for insurance companies which already rip you off to do so even more.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:45 PM

3,962 posts, read 4,430,214 times
Take a PTO day, go to court, ask for a pretrial conference, explain the situation to the DA's rep, they agree to defer judgment, pay fine and court costs. Net cost, 4-8 hrs PTO and maybe $200.

You can call some traffic attorneys and see what their retainer is to appear for you. I'm betting $500-1000 or so, they defer the sentence for you, you still get fines and costs subtracted out of your retain, plus their fees, time, filing, etc. Net Cost $1000+

YMMV.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Wow, so many excuses

The cop is supposed to listen to you go on and on about how you need to maintain a perfect driving record because you're the sole breadwinner of your family and you choose to save 40% of your paycheck? What difference would that make?
Actually, I just got a speeding ticket reduced significantly for those reasons, not the paycheck, but b/c I had a perfect driving record & b/c I was not in an area where I lived. It wasn't on I-25 though. I didn't even ask, it was just my lucky day. He reduced it over 20MPH & so I got 0 points. Boy, was I thankful! I just paid it, I was guilty, what else was I gonna do? It just depends on the cop & the location. I have fought them in my former state & won, but haven't tried in CO.

Much of I-25 is 75MPH & it seems to me that the 55 sections are still doing 75, depending on how much traffic there it, but I usually drive the south metro & when I get to the central Denver stretches, it's usually way below the speed limit just b/c of the amt of traffic. Personally, I'd just pay it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Actually, I just got a speeding ticket reduced significantly for those reasons, not the paycheck, but b/c I had a perfect driving record & b/c I was not in an area where I lived. It wasn't on I-25 though. I didn't even ask, it was just my lucky day. He reduced it over 20MPH & so I got 0 points. Boy, was I thankful! I just paid it, I was guilty, what else was I gonna do? It just depends on the cop & the location. I have fought them in my former state & won, but haven't tried in CO.

Much of I-25 is 75MPH & it seems to me that the 55 sections are still doing 75, depending on how much traffic there it, but I usually drive the south metro & when I get to the central Denver stretches, it's usually way below the speed limit just b/c of the amt of traffic. Personally, I'd just pay it.
I don't think I-25 goes over 65MPH anywhere in the Metro area. I think once you get past Thornton going north and Castle Rock going south it goes up to 75MPH.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I don't think I-25 goes over 65MPH anywhere in the Metro area. I think once you get past Thornton going north and Castle Rock going south it goes up to 75MPH.
I come up from the Springs, most of my drive is 75MPH including way north of Castle Rock (to around the Lincoln exit NEAR Park Meadows). But you may be right, b/c it goes down to 65 (I think 55 now with construction) right before Park Meadows. I was thinking of the stretch just north of that, but yeah, it's 65, not 75, sorry.

Posted speeds notwithstanding, my perception is that it stays at 70-75 for most of the drive until I hit around 225, when traffic congestion normally kicks in. If it doesn't, it usually stays that fast to me, up until around Hampden/Yale, when I get closer to Denver proper.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I come up from the Springs, most of my drive is 75MPH including way north of Castle Rock (to around the Lincoln exit NEAR Park Meadows). But you may be right, b/c it goes down to 65 (I think 55 now with construction) right before Park Meadows. I was thinking of the stretch just north of that, but yeah, it's 65, not 75, sorry.

Posted speeds notwithstanding, my perception is that it stays at 70-75 for most of the drive until I hit around 225, when traffic congestion normally kicks in. If it doesn't, it usually stays that fast to me, up until around Hampden/Yale, when I get closer to Denver proper.
Yeah, DTC is getting really congested now and you will be lucky to drive through it at 70-75. I forgot there was a stretch going south before Castle Rock that is 75 MPH.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM

578 posts, read 1,483,994 times
A little status update: I have decided to bite the bullet and go to court for the arraignment. I have calmly presented my situation to the city attorney and managed to obtain 2 things:
1. Those 4 points reduced to 1 - which was a better offer than the default "4 reduced to 2 if paid with no questions asked" offer.
2. Convinced the judge (explaining that I'm the sole breadwinner in a family of 4) to reduce the fine which with the court fee added, brought the overall cost of the ticket down by about 40%. Well, I have to add the price for parking ($9) to the cost.

The ideal outcome would've been 0 points (I was asking for a 2nd chance) but the judge somewhat implied that he has never seen a better deal than that (he tried to suggest that I could've also pleaded not guilty and see what happens by coming to court at a latter date, but I considered that risky).

Anyways, similar outcome if I would've gone with a traffic lawyer. But the smallest bid I could get was $1,400.
So, all in all, I optimized on the overall costs by taking the affair in my own hands.

Too bad that that 1 point will stick like a sore thing on my driving records. Anyways, lesson learned: never, ever, go over any posted limit by more than 4 mph!

In terms of real, live court experience, it was an eye opener for me: without being racist or what not, 99% of the people with issues (BIG issues, like driving without a driving license and/or without insurance, fire arms found in the car, speeding violation in a construction zone etc) were Latino people. And SOMEHOW, the judge (a white guy) was manifesting so much understanding and condescence, that in most of those cases, all the traffic demerit points were completely erased/forgiven for those persons! As if myself, as a white, did not encounter difficulties in getting my first driver's license here in Colorado (not being a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, but with a rather limited work visa).

The overall impression from that court: there is really no true justice in this world....

Thank you all for your support.

P.S. There seems to be no "deferred adjudication" process in regards to traffic laws here in Colorado. That may be applicable only to teenager drivers (even that I'm unsure of).

Last edited by smihaila; 07-15-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver