Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,322 times

Advertisements

Colorado has structural issues that make raising taxes prohibitively difficult.... But yeah, raising taxes would be the reasonable solution anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:54 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I agree, a higher gas tax is a possible solution.

But what bugs me is that they won't even let us vote on it.
Theoretically, the ideal system would be a pay per use system where only the ones who drive on the road pay for that stretch of the road. It's hard to get a system where you could pay like that.

Given the current toll system though, I think a gas tax is more efficient, as it taxes those who drive in general.

The revenue per mile on the gas tax has gone down quite a bit from when it was implemented as cars have gotten more efficient. So a hike would be justified to bring it back to the revinue per mile of road used that it used to cover.

Also, semi's should get an increased tax because they chew up the road exponentially more than other vehicles.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:15 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Righties love the long-term investment aspect of toll roads, and lefties love how toll roads socially engineer people onto mass transit by artificially inflating the cost of driving a car.
This pretty much sums it up.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:16 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Hi Denver forum,

I read your C-470 expansion will use a "toll lane" in addition to the existing "free" lanes. I was somewhat surprised that the general public in your community would support such a plan. Why wouldn't you, the general public, demand a "freeway" expansion? After all, you pay gasoline taxes. I'd feel the same way about the E-470 (toll.) IMO, if a state can't afford freeways for its cities, then the gas tax is too low.
I hate the expansion and I hate that freeway. I live in Highlands Ranch and I take nothing but back roads to get to places except during off hours. Instead of creating toll lanes they should have just added a lane to each direction. It is also time to raise the gas tax. It hasn't been raised in 24 years.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,353 times
As one who has never used one of the express toll lanes, nor seen the below situation arise, can someone explain to me how this scenario works:

Slowpoke in the Express Lane. Cars piling up behind.

Do cars behind the slowpoke move right to pass him/her, then get back into the Express Lane?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:05 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
As one who has never used one of the express toll lanes, nor seen the below situation arise, can someone explain to me how this scenario works:

Slowpoke in the Express Lane. Cars piling up behind.

Do cars behind the slowpoke move right to pass him/her, then get back into the Express Lane?
I've used the I-70 lane a dozen or so times and I've never seen that. Honestly I've had to check my speed because it feels dangerous going 40mph faster than the lane next to you.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I've used the I-70 lane a dozen or so times and I've never seen that. Honestly I've had to check my speed because it feels dangerous going 40mph faster than the lane next to you.
Lexus lane users have paid for and earned the right to not be held up by the hoi palloi.

Ain't America Great!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,901 times
Here's some facts from the expansion website:

Total cost is $276 million. $120.6 million of that comes from State, Federal and Douglas County funding. By my estimation that is almost half that is being paid for one way or another by the taxpayers, not the lane users. Why couldn't they make one of the 2 WB express lanes they're making a free lane?

One thing that it seems to suggest they're doing that will help is upgrading the ramps/etc. One of the biggest bottlenecks is some of the very poor on-ramps that have no distance to get up to speed.

One of the questions that needs to be clearly answered for me to support any tax increase for roads is what will happen to the toll lanes - is there a mechanism to gradually buy out their contracts and make them free once the funding is increased? In other words, are they really there because there's no funding or are they there to benefit certain users? After all, they are at least somewhat taxpayer funded.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Lexus lane users have paid for and earned the right to not be held up by the hoi palloi.

Ain't America Great!
Yeah, that $5 was a real bank buster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver