Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,534 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys, new to the forum here. We are moving to the Denver area in the next 1-2 months and are looking at houses in the Littleton and Centennial area. We have friends who currently live in Littleton near the Bow Mar neighborhood. They are selling their house because they say that the noise level changed significantly since the new flight paths to Denver airport got implemented. They say that traffic from Centennial airport was also diverted in their direction and hear planes flying every 15 min. I wanted to hear another opinion from someone living in those areas. Is that really the case? Is it really that bad? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
I can’t comment on Centennial traffic, but having flown in and out of Denver for years, one of the standard routes in from the west is over Waterton Canyon. That would put the flight path more over Highlands Ranch and when I lived there planes were no more or no less noticeable than elsewhere.

With all that said, there are few places in the metro area without white noise of some sort.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:11 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
My general understanding is that flights are at quite some altitude before they reach most of the populated spaces to the west and southwest. Does anyone get much "low aircraft" noise or is it all the fainter, higher pitched sound of craft just within hearing range?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:21 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
We used to live just north of Centennial airport. When sitting out back on our patio, we had to stop conversations because the small noisy planes were going around and around doing touch and goes for practice. The larger, commercial planes flew in the middle of the night, and didn't disturb us.

Here's a possible resource for more information: CACNR | Noise Monitoring

Old 06-13-2020, 11:31 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Usually if you stand around long enough you will hear if there is a flight path over your head.

We live north of Denver. When we bought our house there was no flight path overhead. Then about 10 years in we got a flight path that lasted for about 10 years. Now with the new flight paths we don't have them anymore. They were annoying while they were there, at first but eventually I got used to them. It was about every 15 min. But now they are gone again so we are happier with that.

Take from that what you will. You could spend alot of time finding one without a flight path and then bam you have one. That being said if I was looking at a house and noticed it was under a flight path then I would not buy it. But we didn't move because of it either. I hope they keep the flight paths right where they are right now. However I do feel bad for those who got them when they didn't have them before. I don't know where our flight path came from but I'm sure the people it used to go over were also happy it left them.

Last edited by mic111; 06-13-2020 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 12:39 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We used to live just north of Centennial airport.
Worked right there for a few months, and yes, the planes were noticeable. I don't remember actually being bothered or "shouted down" by any, but then, it wasn't my living room or patio. (The morons playing crap rock all day in the lobby were much worse...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Usually if you stand around long enough you will hear if there is a flight path over your head.
Living anywhere in the area lets you tell people that you see UFOs all the time.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
The airport has info re noise management and flight paths at

https://www.flydenver.com/about/admi...ise_management

There is a section for Homebuyers with info on who to call for specific info on a location.

Also there is a live real-time flight tracker at

https://secure.symphonycdm.com/publi...6noLogo%3Dtrue

Old 06-13-2020, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,534 times
Thank you everyone for the answers and for the links. I was aware of the flight tracker and the link to the Denver Airport noise management, but it still does not give me a complete picture. It is different when you are "on the ground" and can attest to personal experience because you can hear it. That said, I do appreciate all of your responses. I will keep searching for more info. Hopefully, someone who lives in the area will post on this thread soon and give me another opinion too.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I do not know if it has any basis in truth, but, realtor.com has a noise rating system.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:30 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
There are people who are far more bothered by random noises than others; many of them seem to get focused on what they see as a problem and the more they focus, the worse the problem becomes to them. Other people in the same area may not even notice what is a major concern for some. I lived in an area where an organization was formed to complain about airport noise in an effort to get an airport closed completely, mostly by newcomers to the area. There was never more than unremarkable background noise to most people in the area.

The friends of the OP may be among those whose hypersensitivity feeds off itself and any such noise may be of no concern to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver