Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

Is Tulips the nightclub near Lucky's and the Lift you might be thinking of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,026 times
Wow, thru the mists of time.....I worked at Denver Airplane Supply from 1975 to '78 and then with Combs Gates for a couple of years after they bought out DAS. Anyone remember the Italian Stallion nightclub?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
Hi was brought up in Denver in the sixties, went to St Johns Luthern School on Franklin. Rember all the places mentioned in K fed's post, but moved to Belfast, Northern Ireland in the early seventies. My favourite plces were Mickeys Pizza, The Denver Drumstick, Colorado Blvd and the Red Barn on Colefax. Can you imagine the culture shock I got moving to a "war zone", but now I love Northern Ireland and would never contemplate moving back to the USA.

Last edited by pru57; 08-07-2015 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pru57 View Post
Hi was brought up in Denver in the sixties, went to St Johns Luthern School on Franklin. Rember all the places mentioned in K fed's post, but moved to Belfast, Northern Ireland in the early seventies. My favourite plces were Mickeys Pizza, The Denver Drumstick, Colorado Blvd and the Red Barn on Colefax. Can you imagine the culture shock I got moving to a "war zone", but now I love Northern Ireland and would never contemplate moving back to the USA.
Denver has changed a lot, over the years; but it has grown in a classy way, I think. It's so amazing to me how so many remember the Denver Drumstick, what was it about that place? Some places, maybe the White Fence Farm, has yummy chicken, but no one has been able to duplicate Drumsticks' recipe. Plus, did they have rolls and honey? I still crave their meals! Ha!

Anyway, Ireland looks so beautiful and good for You!!!!!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:06 AM

37 posts, read 124,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A few days ago I started a thread in the Colorado forum regarding the '65 flood. I put it in the state forum as there was hundreds of millions of dollars of damage not just in the Denver area but also Colorado Springs, Palmer Lake, Longmont, Loveland, and several counties in eastern Colorado.

By today's figures the total damage regarding money was put at 4 billion dollars. Yep, 4 billion. The youtube Kaaboom has here obviously has no sound to it, we're lucky we even have a youtube.

Every bridge from Sedalia all the way through to the Colfax bridge went down. All of them.

Thousands of homes were ruined.

Hundreds of businesses ruined.

The Rocky Mountain News, which was located on west Colfax in Denver, had to use the Denver Post printing machines to get their paper out to circulation. Had to use them for a few days.

Every type of debris imaginable went right up the Platte River, all the way to North Platte, Nebraska, and even east of there.

Similarly the Arkansas River had the same set of problems as heavy rains pummeled Pueblo, Las Animas, and La Junta. There was damage on the Arkansas River way past the Kansas border.

According to the Denver Post 21 people died as a result. Other sources I've read online have the figure at 28.

Picture a situation where there are no cellphones. No 911. Calling the operator on a rotary phone for an emergency, and yes, phone service went out in Sedalia, Louviers, Littleton, Englewood, and southwest Denver, specifically the Athmar Park area lost phones and electricity for a couple days. It was an absolute nightmare. I lived in west Englewood back then, I was there, I know.

A couple days ago the Denver Post did a one and a half page story on this tragedy.

A much more concise story and I mean MUCH more, was done in Westward magazine just recently, IIRC it was April 27th of this year. Google in "Westword article-1965 South Platte River Flood."
I was very young, but I remember my dad working on some of the rebuilding. He told us how they were removing the drywall in flooded homes, and silted mud has actually filled the spaces inside the walls between the studs! I also remember him taking us down on 52nd where Clear Creek crossed under the road, but in this case, the water was flowing over the top!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
I just started going through more slides of 1970's Denver downtown. I scanned 250 more slides over the last week which I will show soon. These are all city, building, skyline, business exterior shots.

If anyone has an old favorite spot I can see if I have a pic of it. I have thousands which cover much of downtown Denver while it was being demolished and rebuilt.

I'm surprised at how many topless clubs and seedy bars there were! What a great place and time.

This was my first video of slides which was a random sampling:

More to come, make requests!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
Decided to put these together tonight

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt3jhI4P374[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJ9i2oW0Oo[/url]

Old 08-16-2015, 01:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan.eastburn View Post
I just started going through more slides of 1970's Denver downtown. I scanned 250 more slides over the last week which I will show soon. These are all city, building, skyline, business exterior shots.

If anyone has an old favorite spot I can see if I have a pic of it. I have thousands which cover much of downtown Denver while it was being demolished and rebuilt.

I'm surprised at how many topless clubs and seedy bars there were! What a great place and time.

This was my first video of slides which was a random sampling:

More to come, make requests!
Nice, that brings back memories. Just the time my family moved to Denver.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,540 times
evan.eastburn - - Great shots of Denver! I came to Denver in 1973 and went to college at UCLA (known then as the University of Colorado at Lawrence & Arapahoe Street).

HSalt Fish & Chips - what a great place! Older guy from across the pond, I believe, was the owner. Incredible beer batter and fresh cod.

Fond remembrances of 50 guys in 50 leather coats waiting to get in on a cold winter night at the London House. All trying to look "cool" - including myself.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:00 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusin16th View Post
evan.eastburn - - Great shots of Denver! I came to Denver in 1973 and went to college at UCLA (known then as the University of Colorado at Lawrence & Arapahoe Street).

HSalt Fish & Chips - what a great place! Older guy from across the pond, I believe, was the owner. Incredible beer batter and fresh cod
Was the Fish and Chips on 15th, between Champa and Curtis?? That place was so great!! Used to be a hole in the wall Mexican café, I think on Curtis that was sooo good. Still, old Woolworth's grilled cheese
and a coke got me through many days..........

Just want to add the old Denver Tea room, that was pretty special, in the old Denver Dry Store. There was a place on Champa, that had apple pie and cinnamon ice cream. Now, I am hungry. Wonder when I took time out to work??? Oh, boy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver