Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,261 times

Advertisements

I signed a purchase agreement for a new home around late October and paid my earnest money.

Early Nov, I was asking the new home advisor about the orientation of the home and on Nov 9, I got a complete diagram of the house.

I was not paying attention until about 2 days later that I realized that there will not be a driveway in front of the garage in the alley. When I asked the new home advisor, she was surprised herself when she got the diagram from the engineer. She thought the depth of my lot would allow a driveway there.

Before I decided to make the purchase, I drove around their already built neightborhood (earlier phase) and all of them have a driveway in front of the garage, including their model homes. It never crossed my mind that there will be no driveway in front of the garage.

Right now, I am trying to ask if I can move to their future lot that has not been released yet.

If I cannot move to different lot, do I have a case to get my earnest money back? I feel they should have informed me about the driveway.

My realtor just talked to the builder and I would have to go back to the waiting list. They implied it was my fault I changed my mind. It is true that I did change my mind after knowing there will be no driveway in front of the garage. To make it worse, I won't be able to park in front of the house either because it was closed to the 3-way intersection.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 07:59 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
This sounds like something from a Three Stooges movie.

They seriously want to build you a house, with a garage, with no driveway?

Old 11-20-2021, 08:06 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Cancel the deal.
You should always have a real estate agent represent you as the price you pay will not change.
Never sign a builder’s contract without having your lawyer look it over.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:15 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The garage access is a back alley, the garage will have a distance of around 6 ft from the alley. While my realtor is on my side, she said her previous home also didn't have a driveway in front of the garage door in the alley.

I did sign the contact and if they builder doesn't want to return my earnest money because according to them I changed my mind after signing the contract, what step should I do? If I get a lawyer, do I have a case here?

Old 11-20-2021, 08:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
So, you signed the contract without reviewing the final plans and lot layout?

I'd say you're out of luck, barring any good will by the contractor.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
So, you signed the contract without reviewing the final plans and lot layout?

I'd say you're out of luck, barring any good will by the contractor.
Yes, that was stupid on my part. I thought it will be the same model plan that I chose and as I mentioned earlier, their previous finished homes (earlier phases in the neighborhood) all have a driveway, so I thought it it will be a cookie cutter home model plan in the neighborhood. Also, the builder is big and well-known.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:02 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,706,635 times
When we purchased new construction a site layout was part of the offer. It showed the position of the house on the lot with elevation lines. If anything like that was included and you signed off on it, it will be up to the builder whether they should return your earnest money. If the project is popular, you might be in luck.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:16 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,706,635 times
Also curious, what value does a six foot drive give you? Check the HOA, you may not be able to park on the drive anyway. I lived in a development that required you park in your garage or use guest parking. You could use the drive to load or unload, buy nothing permanent. Weird rule, but it actually cleaned up the look of the neighborhood.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:29 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Just wait. You can sell that house for way more than your purchase price. You will never win against their in house attorneys.

I just did this in October wit a house that took 11 months to build. Buyers sold made $45,000 and moved to Atlanta.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
When we purchased new construction a site layout was part of the offer. It showed the position of the house on the lot with elevation lines. If anything like that was included and you signed off on it, it will be up to the builder whether they should return your earnest money. If the project is popular, you might be in luck.
yes, this. I had the plot plan with the elevation prior to signing the final contract.

And fwiw, I only have a 9ish foot driveway - I'm in a paired house and my neighbor has another 6 feet, because the model I have is bigger so it extends further back.

But in reality, if you are in Denver, you can't park in the alley anyway. I'm not sure about other municipalities. Or it may be different in other communities but there could still be HOA rules against it. Most alleys are not that wide and often people need to use part of the driveway across the alley to back out of their own garage.

So you can try asking if they will let you change lots, but I would not have high expectations of that request being granted. And you certainly can - and should - seek legal advice in terms of the specifics of your contract and whether you have any way of backing out now and getting your earnest money back. But I'm not that optimistic on that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: