Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Denver area from out of state. The office will be in Littleton, and there will be regular air travel out of Denver (weekly). I’m hoping to find suggestions and honest opinions for town/cities with homes in the 600-700k range. We have an elementary school age child and a dog. I’m hoping to find easy access to hiking trails, playgrounds, libraries, pools (community or club) and highly rated schools. Also, if you have had recent experience buying a home in the area and loved your realtor, I’d appreciate recommendations. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 10:42 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,792 times
I'd look in Littleton itself, and Highlands Ranch. Centennial is possible but is more of a commute to your job (less so to the airport, but still pretty far, so I don't think that would make a difference if it's once a week). Littleton is a very cute suburb with a nice downtown, with access to light rail and very easy to get into Denver from. Highlands Ranch is a little further south but the homes are larger and newer and it's got easy access to Littleton. Both have excellent school districts and a ton of trails, playgrounds, and libraries. Highlands Ranch has the additional advantage of HOA's covering the rec centers that have their own activities. I really don't think you'd go wrong with either area.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:05 AM

2,888 posts, read 2,196,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sklb View Post
My family is relocating to the Denver area from out of state. The office will be in Littleton, and there will be regular air travel out of Denver (weekly). I’m hoping to find suggestions and honest opinions for town/cities with homes in the 600-700k range. We have an elementary school age child and a dog. I’m hoping to find easy access to hiking trails, playgrounds, libraries, pools (community or club) and highly rated schools. Also, if you have had recent experience buying a home in the area and loved your realtor, I’d appreciate recommendations. Thank you in advance.
If I were you I would look in multiple areas as listings are pretty few this time of year, and the competition still stiff. In terms of amenities I would prefer Littleton because the trails and parks are nicer and its school are not in the Douglas County School District which in my opinion is too large and too beholden to Castle Rock's right wing anti-public school influence. Highlands Ranch where I live does have better rec centers and newer houses though. Littleton also has a much nicer downtown and more retail and food options. HR is mostly chains.

The commute from Centennial and even Parker isn't too bad. I know people who do that commute every day.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:25 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,698,448 times
One thing you'll learn is that the Littleton mailing address extends way far beyond the Littleton City limits and even Littleton school district. It's confusing to newcomers.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:58 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,214,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
One thing you'll learn is that the Littleton mailing address extends way far beyond the Littleton City limits and even Littleton school district. It's confusing to newcomers.
Yes, this (not-quite-so) newcomer was distressed to find that Littleton and Englewood extend approximately to Utah. Check EXACT locations on Gmaps before you commit to even a shopping drive.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,561,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Yes, this (not-quite-so) newcomer was distressed to find that Littleton and Englewood extend approximately to Utah. Check EXACT locations on Gmaps before you commit to even a shopping drive.
That is true. Littleton extends all the way down to the Chatfield Reservoir, and there's a lot of west Highlands Ranch (80126 zip code in particular) that registers on sites as Littleton.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:35 PM

11,842 posts, read 34,487,830 times
Littleton the mailing address could be in south Jefferson County the actual city in Arapahoe county or the unincorporated area in Douglas County, including the city-sized subdivision of Highlands Ranch. Trailmark is a community in Littleton (the city) and across Wadsworth from the Reservoir at Chatfield.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 AM

776 posts, read 1,065,790 times
Answer is easy for me- we lived in Highlands Ranch and Littleton just as recent as 2020.

Highlands ranch is newer and has more modern conveniences and newer homes but small lots and its very transient so meeting long term friends in hard. Schools are all pretty good.

Littleton is older and more established and there are a lot of long term residents. Houses are older but usually have bigger lots and o HOA restrictions. Id suggest living anywhere on the West side of 85. We lived in Leawood and our sons went to Leawood Elementary and Columbine High. Both are fantastic schools. We have friends with kids in the other schools and all speak well of them too.

We liked the small city feel to Littleton. We walked everywhere or rode bikes. Wadsworth gets busy but other than that we never had any traffic issues. Commutes to downtown Denver were a breeze. There's a light rail stop of Santa Fe and Coalmine I believe.

Most importantly to us, we met a lot of really good people that we still stay in touch even after we moved away. People are genuinely interested in getting to know you in Littleton. I was amazed how different the two areas are. Im not knocking Highlands ranch. People were pleasant and friendly. We just never had anything more than a conversation in passing with anyone. You get to know your direct neighbors on each side but beyond that people just seem busy and hurried there- its a large master plan community with good amenities and lots of shopping and dining options, but if you're looking for a bit more then I'd really look into Littleton ots much more charming and nice. Good parks too.

I cant speak on Centennial much. Id imagine its nice. We would go over there a lot for shopping and things and its feels just like Littleton as far as neighborhoods, but much busier.

I dont think you can Go wrong in any of the 3.
I just prefer the smaller city feel to Littleton. Plus they hold a lot of things you'd get in a small city like farmers markets,, festivals etc. They also have some cool places to hang out.

CLEMENT PARK is really nice for the kids and they also have a music pavilion where they hold small free concerts.

Pace of life and the people are just great there.

Good luck in your search

Old 12-02-2021, 09:08 AM

2,888 posts, read 2,196,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Answer is easy for me- we lived in Highlands Ranch and Littleton just as recent as 2020.

Highlands ranch is newer and has more modern conveniences and newer homes but small lots and its very transient so meeting long term friends in hard. Schools are all pretty good.

Littleton is older and more established and there are a lot of long term residents. Houses are older but usually have bigger lots and o HOA restrictions. Id suggest living anywhere on the West side of 85. We lived in Leawood and our sons went to Leawood Elementary and Columbine High. Both are fantastic schools. We have friends with kids in the other schools and all speak well of them too.

We liked the small city feel to Littleton. We walked everywhere or rode bikes. Wadsworth gets busy but other than that we never had any traffic issues. Commutes to downtown Denver were a breeze. There's a light rail stop of Santa Fe and Coalmine I believe.

Most importantly to us, we met a lot of really good people that we still stay in touch even after we moved away. People are genuinely interested in getting to know you in Littleton. I was amazed how different the two areas are. Im not knocking Highlands ranch. People were pleasant and friendly. We just never had anything more than a conversation in passing with anyone. You get to know your direct neighbors on each side but beyond that people just seem busy and hurried there- its a large master plan community with good amenities and lots of shopping and dining options, but if you're looking for a bit more then I'd really look into Littleton ots much more charming and nice. Good parks too.

I cant speak on Centennial much. Id imagine its nice. We would go over there a lot for shopping and things and its feels just like Littleton as far as neighborhoods, but much busier.

I dont think you can Go wrong in any of the 3.
I just prefer the smaller city feel to Littleton. Plus they hold a lot of things you'd get in a small city like farmers markets,, festivals etc. They also have some cool places to hang out.

CLEMENT PARK is really nice for the kids and they also have a music pavilion where they hold small free concerts.

Pace of life and the people are just great there.

Good luck in your search
Agreed with what you said. HR just seems more cookie cutter and bland compared to Littleton. I'd also add that there are a lot more mature trees in Littleton and that makes the trails there nicer during summer.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:44 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,333,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sklb View Post
Centennial would be my recommendation. It's an easy commute to Littleton for work and a straight shot to the airport on the toll road. It also has excellent schools across the board, but the elementary schools are located in the neighborhoods and there is a real sense of community among the parents. There's also good housing options in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver