Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:32 AM

177 posts, read 176,023 times

Advertisements

I noticed that the western side of Denver has consistently worse ozone levels than central Denver does. Last year was also particularly rough with the smoke + ozone combo.

It's a shame because the western side also is pretty and has foothills, and better access to climbing, etc.

Perhaps this is a better question for a doctor, but I'm wondering if there would be a significant difference in health if you lived in west-wheatridge for example where ozone seems to pile in, vs Englewood where it's not quite as bad, but further from the mountains.

Aurora is way too far from climbing, and I'd rather just move to foco/the springs at that point, although I am aware the air quality in summer is way better there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 09:10 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
I noticed that the western side of Denver has consistently worse ozone levels than central Denver does. Last year was also particularly rough with the smoke + ozone combo.

It's a shame because the western side also is pretty and has foothills, and better access to climbing, etc.

Perhaps this is a better question for a doctor, but I'm wondering if there would be a significant difference in health if you lived in west-wheatridge for example where ozone seems to pile in, vs Englewood where it's not quite as bad, but further from the mountains.

Aurora is way too far from climbing, and I'd rather just move to foco/the springs at that point, although I am aware the air quality in summer is way better there.
As long as you dont have to commute to Denver from Colorado Springs/Ft. Collins.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
I think the whole front range has bad AQ. The last 2 summers were awful and the worst in the world at times. Not a MD but it can’t be good for you.

There’s also a brown cloud over Denver all winter. I’d assume foco is slightly better.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:04 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I think the whole front range has bad AQ. The last 2 summers were awful and the worst in the world at times.
That was caused by the wildfires on the west coast.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
The nasty Brown Cloud frequently enveloped the urbanmost portion of the Front Range when I moved there in the late 80s. Over the following decades, after a horrendous and visible worsening, it slowly got better, partly due to regulations and partly because sand-and-salt road deicer was used less often in favor of liquid deicers. I remember looking out from an 8th floor workplace on Union Blvd (at the base of Green Mountain) and seeing Denver entirely obliterated. Then each year that cloud crept farther west. Earlier, it had never gone west of Sheridan. It grew to extend past Wadsworth, Kipling, and finally one day we were IN it on Union Blvd. That had never happened before.

There was a period of fewer BC days, but it began worsening again. This is not a new thing at all. Despite use of liquid deicer instead of sand and rock salt, despite newer cars having stricter emissions limits, one factor overwhelms the mitigation: MORE PEOPLE DRIVING MORE MILES. That is aside from unpredicted incidents such as wildfires.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 11,631 times
Honestly, it depends. I have noticed over the last few years when the AQI goes over 65-70 I get headache and sore throat, had it today as we hit 67 earlier today in Lafayette. As AQI goes higher my breathing suffers. As soon as I drive into the mountains, not RMNP or outside Boulder, within a few hours it goes away. Currently I'm spending 75% of my time in SW CO at 8,200 ft and no issues while there. I mentioned RMNP and the mountains outside Boulder as the continental divide tends to trap the bad air on and I notice similar symptoms after a day of ski touring in Indian Peaks.

I lived here in the late 80's and early 90's and the past 6 years, never had issues prior but over the last few years it's become an issue. Add in our new normal of very hot summers and wildfire smoke on the front range and it's become unbearable for me. I see plenty of people out cycling, running, hiking etc. on AQI days over 100, for me I feel like crap after, so I avoid it which is no way to enjoy all that CO has to offer. One thing to realize is there are other pollutants besides PMI 10, 2.5 and ozone which derive from methane leaking out of all the fracking which occurs north and east of the foothills. My theory is that is contributing to my experiences on the front range as that is a huge difference between now and my first experience living in CO 89-95 and being 30 years older, plus population/auto growth... I have investigated any potential health issues as a cause, lung capacity tests etc. and fit as a fiddle.

If you're curious here are two monitoring sites I utilize to determine what's going on:

https://www.bouldair.com/boulder.htm

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Lafayet...CO&country=USA

You can put in zip code for any city on the airnow.gov site, the first is specific to Boulder county. Not sure if Jeffco has one similar but that site is more comprehensive in data for other pollutants.

So it really depends how your body reacts to the reality of air quality on the front range, for some it's no issue.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:33 PM

224 posts, read 559,493 times
My partner is a retired physician and avid biker. He won't ride outside on ozone advisory days. Ozone can lead to permanent lung damage if you are consistently exposed. That said, I've never heard that its worse on the west side of town. We live on Lookout and we can see the thick brown cloud frequently, always worse when looking north.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,631 times
@nele put it way more succinctly than I.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:09 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
If you've ever been in SLC in the winter during an inversion....I hope Denver never gets that bad. I go to SLC for work, well did pre covid. Its awful. It hurts to breath and Im 40 and fit and healthy. I have young kids and I cant imagine a life long of exposure like we have had the last 2 years is good for them and development. Im in west Arvada at 6k. I think its a bit better than in Denver or more populous areas.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:13 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
…can see the thick brown cloud frequently, always worse when looking north.
Cherokee power plant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver