Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,770 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are a family of 4 ( mum, dad and 2 children 9 and 7) and we are currently planning to move all the way from dublin, Ireland to Denver. This is a huge move obviously and I’m not sure where to start. The 2 areas that have been recommended for house hunting are cherry creek and Washington park and I’ve looked at the great schools website to refine our search further- is this a good method? Please can I have any other recommendations for where to settle? Schools are obviously important and I want to get on the right track to enrol them somewhere they can be happy( ideally not too big?
We will be renting with a monthly budget max of $3,500
We plan to visit for a week in April and to make the big move at the end of June - is there anywhere I should visit in April to get a feel for Denver / different suburbs? Any help will be so gratefully received!!
My husband will be working on 17th street, the zip is 80202 so we would like to be within a reasonable commute too for him

Last edited by Ruthdd; 02-23-2022 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: More detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 12:34 PM

23,381 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Is this move work-related? Quiz your future co-workers who have kids. Its good that you'll be renting and great that you'll be visiting before the move. You can move if the spot you land first doesn't end up being a perfect fit. What about Googling Denver realtors who work with rental listings? Be prepared...your choices may be quite limited. Low inventory and high prices.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:40 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,187,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthdd View Post
Hi
We are a family of 4 ( mum, dad and 2 children 9 and 7) and we are currently planning to move all the way from dublin, Ireland to Denver. This is a huge move obviously and I’m not sure where to start. The 2 areas that have been recommended for house hunting are cherry creek and Washington park and I’ve looked at the great schools website to refine our search further- is this a good method? Please can I have any other recommendations for where to settle? Schools are obviously important and I want to get on the right track to enrol them somewhere they can be happy( ideally not too big?
We plan to visit for a week in April and to make the big move at the end of June - is there anywhere I should visit in April to get a feel for Denver / different suburbs? Any help will be so gratefully received!!
My husband will be working on 17th street, the zip is 80202 so we would like to be within a reasonable commute too for him
You'll be moving from one of the greenest place on Earth to one of the brownest. To fully appreciate this come in early April before things start to turn green.

I'd also look at Central Park, formerly Stapleton, on the east side. Any part of Aurora zoned to the Cherry Creek School District should be fine.

If you don't mind living further out then check out Littleton and Highlands Ranch. For the next few years anyway school should stay good. With your budget even Golden is not out of the question.

Are you moving here for good? What else are you looking for besides schools and work location?

Old 02-23-2022, 12:49 PM

We are moving for around 3 years to start with- if we fall in love with the place it could become permanent. I won’t be working- my husband will. I’d love an outdoorsy type area- lots of parks, sports clubs( tennis, hockey, Gaelic if possible) otherwise driving distance to shops/ markets/ cafes etc
If possible with decent public transport

Old 02-23-2022, 01:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 13,659,709 times
Be aware that in the USA in general, and the Denver area especially, City boundaries, school districts, and Zip Codes do not necessarily align. IE, the suburb I lived in straddled 5 different school districts. Be sure to quiz any rental agents on exactly where their rental fits. (and double-check as they sadly aren't always right )

Also, If you are not experienced in right-side driving, please, please do get some practice. You don't want this to happen.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-49945461

Re commuting, use Google Map's "directions" option to map out possible routes & times. Here is an example:
https://goo.gl/maps/uTBLJiMsfBBsRWPA9

Others will come along to suggest specific locations to consider.

Good Luck and Welcome to the US & Denver.....

Old 02-23-2022, 01:29 PM

8,611 posts, read 14,923,344 times
Quote:
Hi
First off, welcome!

Cherry Creek is the name of a Denver neighborhood, and it's also the name of one of the metro area's better school districts. The two do not overlap.

You will have a hard time finding middle and high schools with small enrollment unless you go private. My kids' high school has roughly 3,000 students.

What type of neighborhood feel are you looking for? If you prefer urban to suburban, your choices are somewhat limited, and the budget will be much higher. As a rule of thumb, houses tend to be more expensive the closer you get to the mountains. If you plan to live in the suburbs, consider getting a house near one of the light rail lines. Driving into downtown from the burbs can be stressful.

I threw together a blog on here about living in Denver a few years ago. I just updated the house price in it not too long ago. It's here. I've got hiking pictures on here as well.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:35 PM

13 posts, read 12,992 times
OP, you might find these links interesting:

https://www.internations.org/denver-expats/irish

https://www.irishnetworkco.com/

Old 02-23-2022, 01:55 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,882,242 times
Quote:
If possible with decent public transport
LOL
Cars baby, cars.

Quote:
2 children 9 and 7)...
A good school within the Denver system is Slavens.
A K-8 school.
Map of boundaries ar http://schoolchoice.dpsk12.org/wp-co...36_2021-22.pdf
You will need to live within the catchment area as the school is considered very good.

His commute would be easy.

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-23-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 02:18 PM

57 posts, read 58,083 times
Quote:
Hi

We've found the Great Schools web site to be a fairly good guide. From my experience, a score difference of just one point on their scale is not something you would notice. A difference of three points would represent quite a noticeable difference.

Some schools rated a 10 are intense academic environments, high-pressure places with many (not all) highly competitive, high-performing students and heavy homework loads. A more average student might not be happy in such an environment. On the other hand, from what I've seen, I would be cautious about a school rated below 5. Some public schools with mostly low-performing students have a lot of discipline problems making for a chaotic, distracting, and even unsafe environment.

Generally speaking across America, the perceived/reputed quality of schools has a substantial effect on nearby housing prices since families that move are usually concerned about school quality.

School district boundaries may change from year to year. Be sure to confirm with the realtor or school district office which district a specific location is in.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:38 AM

Thank you all so much for the tips so far! We will have a car also (maybe need 2?) do schools tend to provide transport for students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver