Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 08:15 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times

Advertisements

That area is basically in what is known as the "DTC" i.e. Denver Tech Center area. It's a jumbled mess of jurisdictions, but it's in the coveted Cherry Creek school district. Not super pedestrian-friendly, but anything you could want is within a 5 minute drive. All the big box stores and restaurants are on or very close to Arapahoe Rd. I work just a little north and west of there so I'm quite familiar with the area. It's very safe so you won't have to worry about that. Also, yes, you'd be able to go to Castlewood Library. In fact you could go to any one of the libraries in the Arapahoe County Library system (Koelbel Library is a very nice one in Greenwood Village that would only be a couple miles away at Orchard and Holly, also). Keep in mind if you want a real downtown the closest would probably be Littleton's, which is about 15 minutes west-northwest. Parker is also about 15 minutes southeast. Most of the general area is very much suburbia. Nice suburbia, but suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 8,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How far down on Santa Fe is work? It might be nice to go the other way on C-470 and not have the sun in your eyes.
It's the DISH office at the intersection of Santa Fe and W Bowles Ave.
BTW, was this building a mall previously? Google Earth shows an atrium, but not too many other windows.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Yes it was a shopping mall. It closed in the 90s and for a while it was talked up as an aquarium.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:38 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There are little local restaurants that may not appear on Google maps.
Jabo's has some of the best BBQ on the south side of town, and it's right at Arapahoe and Dayton.

Yolanda's Tacos is near Jabo's at Arapahoe and Clinton. They have good tacos. I like the adobado and the al pastor.

Venalonzo's Tacos just south of Arapahoe and Yosemite has tasty Quesabirrias.

Cava is supposedly a good Mediterranean restaurant. I wouldn't know. I'm not a huge fan of Mediterranean food.

Bawarchi Biryani at Arapahoe and Joliet is good Indian food.

The closest Walmart is also right behind Barwachi, and the DMV is in that same area at Arapahoe and Lima.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:40 AM

8 posts, read 8,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Jabo's has some of the best BBQ on the south side of town, and it's right at Arapahoe and Dayton.

Yolanda's Tacos is near Jabo's at Arapahoe and Clinton. They have good tacos. I like the adobado and the al pastor.

Cava is supposedly a good Mediterranean restaurant. I wouldn't know. I'm not a huge fan of Mediterranean food.

The closest Walmart is also right behind Barwachi, and the DMV is in that same area at Arapahoe and Lima.
Great information, thanks!

Old 02-08-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

There's also a great Persian restaurant right at Dayton and Arapahoe called Surena Persian Cuisine, and Milkit ice cream shop is in the same little strip center and is also good.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:46 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey_bingo View Post
It's the DISH office at the intersection of Santa Fe and W Bowles Ave.
BTW, was this building a mall previously? Google Earth shows an atrium, but not too many other windows.
It was an outdoor store. They sold canoes and kayaks. You could test float them in the Platte right behind the store.
There is a great multi use path behind the building as well that connects to downtown or out to Chatfield SP.
Good, local winery, Carboy just down the road, a huge Brenkenridge brewery and a classic dive bar, Platte River Inn. Outdoor concert venue at Hudson Gardens. Lot of stuff on that side of town.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:47 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,282 times
I have worked in that area for 29 years.

Colorado doesn't do townships like you are used to. It does municipal boundaries, counties, and special districts. As a general rule you will find more government cooperation here.

The area is moderately walkable, but it is suburban and in the winter the sidewalks are not all shoveled.

The nearest restaurants are at Arapahoe and Dayton. There are several in the strip malls on either side of Arapahoe. The cuisine is actually pretty diverse for the suburbs.

The nearest (dedicated) supermarket is Safeway at Arapahoe and Quebec (2 miles west of Dayton) and not walkable.

The police department is the Arapahoe County Sheriff.

The fire department is South Metro Fire (collborative district).

The Parks and Rec is South Suburban (collaborative district).

The library district is Arapahoe Library District, but nearly all library districts are part a reciprocal borrowing program so you can use nearly any nearby library, including: Englewood city, Denver, Douglas County, Jefferson County and even libraries at the colleges.

When you register your car, you can get a discounted state park pass. BUY IT. It will give you car access to state parks, including Cherry Creek state park.

DISH is kind of tricky to get to. Arapahoe does not go through to Santa Fe, but C470, Dry Creek/Mineral, and Belleview do.

Keep your resume updated, DISH is not known for its stellar working conditions (Worst company to work for in 2012, 15th Worst in 2022)

Old 02-15-2024, 12:44 PM

405 posts, read 448,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Keep your resume updated, DISH is not known for its stellar working conditions (Worst company to work for in 2012, 15th Worst in 2022)
I don't disagree about DISH, but I don't think OP's question means she/he's interested in working there. I think it was just a question about the building.

But yes, OP, in the event you're considering DISH... don't!

Old 02-15-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I don't disagree about DISH, but I don't think OP's question means she/he's interested in working there. I think it was just a question about the building.

But yes, OP, in the event you're considering DISH... don't!
Depends a lot on what you're doing at DISH. I have a friend who has worked there for nearly 20 years and loves it. He even gets to travel the world (just got back from South Africa and has been to Central America, Spain, and NYC also) on the company dime to do trainings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver