Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times

Advertisements

Interesting...

Quote:
Beverly Hills, Manhattan, Silicon Valley ...Des Moines?
Other places may be famous for their wealthy celebrities, business tycoons, and tech entrepreneurs, but Des Moines, Iowa, is--at least by one measure--the richest metropolitan area in America. According to a U.S. News analysis of data for large U.S. metropolitan areas (pop. 500,000 or larger), the Hawkeye State capital has the highest median income in the nation relative to the cost of living. It is followed closely by the metro areas of Washington, D.C.; Worcester, Mass.; Houston; and Ogden, Utah. On the other end of the spectrum are the metro areas surrounding McAllen, Texas; New York City; and Fresno, Calif. [See a slide show of the cities with the lowest real incomes and cities with the highest real incomes.]

Link to full article: 10 Cities With the Highest and Lowest Real Incomes - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
If you transport the landscape of northern Wisconsin to Des Moines, Iowa I would move there

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,153 times
I find that hard to believe. I don't see many fancy skyscrapers and some angles of the skyline is downright ulgy and plain. Bellevue, WA has fancy many skyscrapers and it's lot smaller than Des Moines, Iowa.

Of course, I haven't seen the rich neighborhood in Des Moines, yet.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I find that hard to believe. I don't see many fancy skyscrapers and some angles of the skyline is downright ulgy and plain. Bellevue, WA has fancy many skyscrapers and it's lot smaller than Des Moines, Iowa.

Did you even read the article?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Des Moines is well-off for its size and has a strong white-collar industry. At the same time, the methodology is actually insulting. They are saying "It's so cheap, that only an average salary in a major city, makes you rich there".

Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 AM

Yeah...I do agree that throwing around the term "rich" like that is a bit disingenuous.

Regardless, great publicity for the city and the metro!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post

Totally clueless....

I notices no mention of taxes. I'll wager that would change the outcome significantly.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Des Moines is well-off for its size and has a strong white-collar industry. At the same time, the methodology is actually insulting. They are saying "It's so cheap, that only an average salary in a major city, makes you rich there".
The dichotomy would be very low housing prices which make up a sizable chunk of COL, but taxes which are middle of the road at best.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM

333 posts, read 704,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Yeah it really isn't something to gloat about unless you plan never to leave the state on vacation, or buy any big ticket goods that are priced the same everywhere because those are going to obliterate an Iowan's disposable income compared with people from other areas that have much higher salaries and higher COL. Just because a lower percentage of income is spent on COL doesn't mean there are more real dollars left over after the fact.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM

333 posts, read 704,843 times
Also is this news? I was always of the understanding that Iowa has had the lowest relative COL for years, maybe decades. Had that changed recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines