Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM

173 posts, read 345,439 times

Advertisements

While all the malls in Des Moines have seen seen a decline at some point, I want to ask about one mall in particular. Merle Hay Mall is the oldest mall in the state, and thanks to 2 expansions, remains the third's largest mall in Iowa.

It has had some major work down to redo the main exterior. They have added shops unique for an enclosed mall, such as Staples and Old Chicago.

While Jordan Creek may be the trendier mall, with higher end retailers that are the only place to find in Des Moines, and the state of Iowa, Merle Hay has still managed to be fairly successful at keeping shoppers coming to the mall, and while it does have some vacancies, it is mostly full. Chains come and go, but that would be expected for a mall that has been open that long, and as retail habits, and demographics change.

Do you shop at Merle Hay? Why or why not? What would you like to see in the mall? What would make you go there?

Merle Hay Mall - Des Moines, Iowa - Shopping, Dining, Movies, Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
While all the malls in Des Moines have seen seen a decline at some point, I want to ask about one mall in particular. Merle Hay Mall is the oldest mall in the state, and thanks to 2 expansions, remains the third's largest mall in Iowa.

It has had some major work down to redo the main exterior. They have added shops unique for an enclosed mall, such as Staples and Old Chicago.

While Jordan Creek may be the trendier mall, with higher end retailers that are the only place to find in Des Moines, and the state of Iowa, Merle Hay has still managed to be fairly successful at keeping shoppers coming to the mall, and while it does have some vacancies, it is mostly full. Chains come and go, but that would be expected for a mall that has been open that long, and as retail habits, and demographics change.

Do you shop at Merle Hay? Why or why not? What would you like to see in the mall? What would make you go there?

Merle Hay Mall - Des Moines, Iowa - Shopping, Dining, Movies, Entertainment
I shop MHM more than any other mall in Des Moines because it is closest to me, and the closest Target (actually Ankey is probably about the same distance, I live on the north side). I like the stores in the area of MHM, too, like Burlington Coat Factory, the MH Dahls, and the strip that holds Dollar Tree. I get my nails done just south of Merle Hay Mall. MH has pretty much all I need in a mall with Old Navy, Younkers, etc.

One thing I LOVED was the library being in the mall while a new bulding was being built. That was SO convenient for me. I would have liked to have seen a library branch stay there. The North Side library is pretty close to my house and I would drive past it to go to the one in MHM.

I make it to Jordan Creek MAYBE two or three times a year, and that's usually to see a movie; I don't spend a lot of time in the mall itself. I am at Valley West about as often. They are just a much farther drive for me and parking at both is a PIA, IMO.

If I drive all the way out to Jordan Creek area, I usually go places outside of the mall like Trader Joes or DSW; not often to the mall itself.

I almost never go to Southridge, but I am almost never on the south side. I have no reason to go that way.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
I heard Merle Hay Mall was a good place to live.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
We (or I should say my wife) go to MH Mall more than any other mall in the metro. First reason is location (it is the closest to our home) and second it has the two places my wife shops the most (Target and Kohl's).

I believe she goes to Valley West Mall the second most often...again, location.....for things that aren't at MH. Jordan Creek is saved for trips to get items that are located only at stores only found there.

Southridge isn't on our radar. #1, there is no good way to get there from northwest Des Moines (where we live) and two, there is nothing it offers to make the drive worthwhile.

I"m really glad MH has invested in their exterior as tit was WAYYYY overdue and now you're seeing some neighboring businesses upgrade as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Funny, I really never think to go to Kohls. The times I do I don't find anything.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
^ Well....I'm not the expert, but from my vantage point in the cheap seats it appears to me that the key to receiving the full Kohl's lovin' is all about going there often (weekly....minimum), not sporatically. My wife is a true shopper, but also bargain shopper with specific tastes. She seems to have it down to a science.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ Well....I'm not the expert, but from my vantage point in the cheap seats it appears to me that the key to receiving the full Kohl's lovin' is all about going there often (weekly....minimum), not sporatically. My wife is a true shopper, but also bargain shopper with specific tastes. She seems to have it down to a science.

What he said! Plus, NEVER pay full price for something at Kohl's. Wait a week or two, it will be on sale again.

When we lived in Altoona MHM was where we went most. At the time we lived there Southridge had Sears & JCP [no idea now, has been over 2 years since we lived there] but we would rather hit MHM and VWM if we needed to go to both Sears and JCP. Went out to JCM but couldn't afford to breathe the air there. Seriously tho, nothing at JCM that we couldn't find closer.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I am a serious bargain shopper, too, and the prices aren't the issue. I just never find anything I want regardless of price. I have never been impressed with their selection of merchandise.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
I go to movies at Merle Hay, but if I need a mall, I generally go to Valley West.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
That mall reminds me of a giant wal-mart. Very strange place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines