Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,363 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to invest in a home in the Des Moines area. Can I get some input from the locals on this site? I am in contact with a realtor but they just want to sell you property and may not give you the real in's and out's of the neighborhoods. Please help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestorPop View Post
Hello,

I am looking to invest in a home in the Des Moines area. Can I get some input from the locals on this site? I am in contact with a realtor but they just want to sell you property and may not give you the real in's and out's of the neighborhoods. Please help?
Sure, but you'll need to provide some more specifics on what you want to know. Have you looked at the multiple threads already speaking to neighborhoods, cities that are desireable to live? If you provide some directions as to where you questions lie, I'm sure you'll get opinions.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Try another realtor. They should be more helpful than that!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM

31 posts, read 50,393 times
As CapitalCityGuy noted, you'll want to provide us all with more info in order to offer better direction. However I can tell you that my family moved here last fall, and found Michelle Price of Iowa Realty to be a good listener who helped us to identify what we really wanted and then helped us to find it. We've moved often and worked with a number of realtors; in our experience, Michelle is one of the best.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,363 times
Hey All,

Thanks for your replies! I would like to be more helpful with specific info but I don't have any. Last year I was in Des Moines and felt very comfortable there. I decided that I would like to purchase a home(s) to live in and/or rent. I don't know any specifics about areas or neighborhoods, hence the original question. I was hoping that any of you might suggest areas. Thanks Lizle for referring Michelle. That's a start.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
But want are your wants/needs for a neighborhood? No neighborhood is a good investment if you're not happy living there.

For example - I know I could find plenty of neighborhoods in Des Moines where I could find an affordable home to live and a nice yard, but I wouldn't be happy if it didn't also offer amenties that are important to me. To me this means: I want to live no further than 20 minutes from work (ideally avoid commuting via the Interstate), I want to be able to leave my home on my bike and be able to safely access nearby bike trails, I want restaurants and other commercial businesses (car repair, hardware stores, etc.) 5-10 minutes away, I am too busy at this point in my life to take care of a big yard, so I do not place value in a big yard., I would rather leave in a more urban environment vs suburban, etc. etc. etc..

No house is a good investment if you're not happy where you live. That, and if 2008/2009 taught us anything, it may not always make sense to consider your house an investment. DM is a 600K + population metro, we have all kinds of neighborhoods from downtown lofts to suburban track housing and everything in between. From newly built to older/established. Walkable/on or neary mass transit to 100% car dependant.

Tell us what you want/need and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. Also, do any of the other threads/discussions on the forum give you any ideas/questions you want explored further?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,613 times
Give more details on what you are hoping to accomplish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines