Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 10,059 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I recently went to DSM for an extremely short visit to get married. And I have to say we fell in love with the city. And despite some of the comments on here we still want to move to DSM and we REALLY want to stay in the downtown area.

Our children are currently in gifted classes so we want them to go to schools that will challenge them.

1). Does anyone have any recommendations on elementary/middle/high schools?

We want to find the best area for the schools first then where to live in the boundaries of those schools. So my next question question is...

2). What are some neighborhoods in those school boundaries?

Of course it will be a few years before we move. Our planned goal is 3 years this summer. Our plan is to save as much money as possible during that time, visit a few times(one week without the kids and one week with the kids) and really get to know the area.

I might have more questions but right now our goal is to look at the best schools for them to attend and where exactly we should rent(not going to buy a home there until we stay for a few years).

Thank you for your time!

~Megan & Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,721,946 times
Congratulations on your marriage & I wish you success in getting helpful feedback here especially in regard to school choices that will meet the needs of your kids down the road.
I don't have experience with the schools in metro Des Moines or in the the city proper so I can't personally help you with that type of info.
That being said, I do have a close friend who is a retired teacher out of the DMPS & if you direct message me & would like me to do so, I'd be happy to check with her to see if she can be an info source for you or know the resources that will be helpful for you.
I left Iowa in 1979 &, as regulars on these Iowa threads know, I rue the day that I left for Georgia & hope to retire back somewhere in the state in several years.
On balance Des Moines is a very pleasant metro area that has come light years in the form of a progressive wake up & transformation & the state overall is rather balanced in social & political outlook, especially as compared to how absolutely conservative it was when I was a child. In that aspect, there is a stark contrast evident between the dominant social & political though patterns prevalent in Georgia.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,366,388 times
I only have scant information to share. I believe that the Downtown School is a charter school with no designated boundaries. I know in the past it was very highly regarded and there was actually a waiting list to get your kids into it. Central Academy is higher grade levels and also very well thought of.

Downtown School

“Des Moines Central Academy, a nationally known magnet school, is recognized for the excellent performance of its students. We commend Central Academy…” Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education
Central Academy Passes the Test | Des Moines Public Schools

Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,458,177 times
I'm a Central Academy alumn and I have only positive things to say about it. Very high-quality education without the sense of entitlement.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 AM

164 posts, read 323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan4233 View Post
So my wife and I recently went to DSM for an extremely short visit to get married. And I have to say we fell in love with the city. And despite some of the comments on here we still want to move to DSM and we REALLY want to stay in the downtown area.

Our children are currently in gifted classes so we want them to go to schools that will challenge them.

1). Does anyone have any recommendations on elementary/middle/high schools?

We want to find the best area for the schools first then where to live in the boundaries of those schools. So my next question question is...

2). What are some neighborhoods in those school boundaries?

Of course it will be a few years before we move. Our planned goal is 3 years this summer. Our plan is to save as much money as possible during that time, visit a few times(one week without the kids and one week with the kids) and really get to know the area.

I might have more questions but right now our goal is to look at the best schools for them to attend and where exactly we should rent(not going to buy a home there until we stay for a few years).

Thank you for your time!

~Megan & Dawn
Hi Megan, I also moved to Iowa from Georgia! My wife and I live in West Des Moines and our kids go to school in the Waukee school district which is top rated. I have heard that the schools in downtown aren't the greatest but I don't have personal experience with them. Just a reminder the winter in Iowa is brutal in fact is April 4 and we got a little snow last night. I like Des Moines it's a great city but its very expensive, West Des Moines in particular is outrages especially property taxes but the schools are amazing. Just keep that in mind because a house that cost 150,000 in Georgia will cost close to 250,000 here with at least 4000 a year in property taxes. I'm certain downtown is less expensive but just giving a comparison.

Camille

Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,366,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
Hi Megan, I also moved to Iowa from Georgia! My wife and I live in West Des Moines and our kids go to school in the Waukee school district which is top rated. I have heard that the schools in downtown aren't the greatest but I don't have personal experience with them. Just a reminder the winter in Iowa is brutal in fact is April 4 and we got a little snow last night. I like Des Moines it's a great city but its very expensive, West Des Moines in particular is outrages especially property taxes but the schools are amazing. Just keep that in mind because a house that cost 150,000 in Georgia will cost close to 250,000 here with at least 4000 a year in property taxes. I'm certain downtown is less expensive but just giving a comparison.

Camille
Are you confusing "downtown Des Moines " with "Des Moines proper"? You comments about schools and downtown being "less expensive" don't really make sense.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 10,059 times
I'm not too worried about the winters. I grew up in Indiana and my wife spent half her life in Ohio. So cold weather isn't anything. Lol!! In fact I am welcoming the winter weather, whether bad or not, with open arms because I just can't put up with this Georgia heat any longer(3 days in a row now of it hitting 82 in my town....I dread what summer will be like).

But thanks for the information about house cost/property taxes. Our eventual house budget will never be something that high but I have seen, through different realtor websites, great house prices downtown(if we ever decide to buy near downtown).

I really appreciate everyone's input so far.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 PM

164 posts, read 323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Are you confusing "downtown Des Moines " with "Des Moines proper"? You comments about schools and downtown being "less expensive" don't really make sense.
I believe downtown is less expensive than West Des Moines. I was in downtown last weekend, and saw a rental in the heart of downtown to be very reasonable for the location. About the schools I could very well be confusing it with Des Moines proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines