Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
I don't think that city really cares about any association with Omaha or Des Moines. It just think of them as towns, expecially D.M.

They care about an association with Omaha and Des Moines when it comes to tourists keeping their baseball team afloat as well as their amusement parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,291 times
There is that.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

449 posts, read 1,393,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
They care about an association with Omaha and Des Moines when it comes to tourists keeping their baseball team afloat as well as their amusement parks.
It would take a miracle to keep the Royals afloat.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I'm not sure the local KC people would really consider Townsend... 'big time'.

(their 'Wallstreet Tower' was just a rehab)
What would you consider "big time"? Maybe Red Development out of KC. (Southpoint Pavillions, Shadow Lake Towne Center...Village point?

Townsends KC tower wasn't very impressive but they do have very large projects elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
A lot of business-people travel between the three cities quite a bit, KC knows they are in a bigger league, but that doesn't mean they "don't care" whatsoever... How could that be possible?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
I like Des Moines, but I like Omaha better. Factually, Omaha is larger, and is more well-known. If you zoom down on both cities from a satellite perspective, you can see how much bigger Omaha really is, and how much more new housing West Omaha has, compared to the western side of Des Moines.

The feature I like about Des Moines is the fact that its metro isn't cut by a stateline, and I like the rich farmland the city sits admist. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I also think DM is more "Minneapolis" in a way, where it is a little more clean-cut, refined, and polished. To me, Omaha seems to have more of a rumble-and-tumble "wild card" thrown in, like Denver has in a way -- while still being conservative, and midwestern, like Des Moines. I feel Omaha really is a mix of western Denver and midwestern Des Moines (leaning more towards Des Moines than Denver), and that makes perfect sense, considering where Omaha sits.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
^^^
Very nice analysis in my opinion Yucca.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
^^^
Very nice analysis in my opinion Yucca.

I'd agree, but I think Omaha seems to have a lot of Chicago influence, more so than Des Moines. I guess it's halfway between Chicago and Denver, so I could see how both cities would influence it.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
^Thanks, you guys. That was really nice.

El Rhino, I see what you mean, but I always felt Chicago first inspired Minneapolis, then Des Moines was bitten by the "bug", then Omaha finally caught on. But, I see what you mean about Chicago.

To me, Omaha is a bit more like Oklahoma City, then Des Moines is (and, no, it is not the 'o')! I just imagine a more rowdy past in Omaha, than in Des Moines, with more gunfights, and stuff. I feel the Indian name "Omaha" only adds to that perception. Omaha, though surrounded by farmland, is a lot closer to western ranchland than DM, while Des Moines is more surrounded by farmland of rich earth, and picturesque farms on rolling hills, and covered bridges. I feel stores like "Shepler's Western Wear" make more sense in Omaha, while Des Moines feels more "John Deere" to me. However, "John Deere" makes sense in Omaha, too, and a "Shepler's" wouldn't be out of place in Des Moines. Again, I feel they are mostly alike, but there is just a tad, subtle difference between the two (that is kinda hard to put your finger on).

Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
^Thanks, you guys. That was really nice.

El Rhino, I see what you mean, but I always felt Chicago first inspired Minneapolis, then Des Moines was bitten by the "bug", then Omaha finally caught on. But, I see what you mean about Chicago.

To me, Omaha is a bit more like Oklahoma City, then Des Moines is (and, no, it is not the 'o')! I just imagine a more rowdy past in Omaha, than in Des Moines, with more gunfights, and stuff. I feel the Indian name "Omaha" only adds to that perception. Omaha, though surrounded by farmland, is a lot closer to western ranchland than DM, while Des Moines is more surrounded by farmland of rich earth, and picturesque farms on rolling hills, and covered bridges. I feel stores like "Shepler's Western Wear" make more sense in Omaha, while Des Moines feels more "John Deere" to me. However, "John Deere" makes sense in Omaha, too, and a "Shepler's" wouldn't be out of place in Des Moines. Again, I feel they are mostly alike, but there is just a tad, subtle difference between the two (that is kinda hard to put your finger on).

Yes, we are a little more civilized than our neighbors to the west.

I've never been to OKC (ok, I drove through it twice), but I imagine there are some similarities to Omaha. It seems like Omaha takes after Chicago in the fact that it's historically a meat packing town and more of a blue collar town. Compared to Des Moines, it's a little more "ethnic" like Chicago as well. There seems to be a KC influence as well. Omaha does have an interesting past though.

People say that Des Moines seems to take after Minneapolis. While I'm not saying that's wrong, I don't get it other than the clean-cut thing you're talking about it. I'd be willing to listen to some convincing here. I can't really think of any cities we take after, it's just like we're here and thats the end of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines