Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 22,740 times

Advertisements

I get the feeling from your post you are going to do this move to Des Moines either way.

First off, I DON'T HATE Des Moines. I moved back for a couple years for family ... and now I'm moving somewhere warm for an opportunity.

You will love des moines if you decide to. But don't be coming in asking for Des Moines to start showing you the stuff. This is a mind over matter city. The grass isn't always greener ... as they say.

So, your post seemed conservative ... as if .... "I'm just looking for something a little more hip than Mason City, and not much more." Okay then, you found it. Des Moines. End of Story. It HAS a bit of a nightlife. Some different things .... and compared to Mason City a lot of great things. The new downtown is cool ... I mean, in a grateful sense ... (like if you were here before they added Liar's club you would blow your brains out if you went downtown). Let's put it this way, a dive bar with bad food and drinks is awesome when its in the right place.

But I sensed something more from your post. (And if I'm wrong I'm sorry, but I would want this information.)

You are a single guy. And, you mentioned that for a reason. And, you mentioned you were looking for a "bit" of a nightlife.

My question is why on god's green earth would you pass up a perfect opportunity to live in the twin-cities? I'm just saying, you are literally insane if you do not choose that place over Des Moines. If the mother ship is calling .... well that's Mason City ... and ... the same distance away from the twin cities as it is des moines.

There is no comparison. You said you were a young guy craving a night life? I'm not going to hate on des moines .... okay ... but dude ... there are so many single successful women in the twin cities and suburbs ... I'm speechless on this point because you should just move there and forget about it (Minneapolis proper isn't even the most fun part). I'm just over 30 professional ... and I lived in both towns. Belive me. Believe me ... believe me ... believe me. I look for the entertainment value and for meeting people ... I'm the courteous type who likes to meet new people and go to decent restaurants/lounges/bars... ... but its not like you can just go up and talk to people in this town. It's a small town ... and if you like that great !! But, if you want to get looked at like a serial rapist when you say "hi" to the person one table away ... then chill in Des Moines. A couple minutes later you will find her husband come in ... you'll know because she will still have his high school letter jacket on over his Wells Fargo uniform. It won't matter because ... even though they are on the verge of a divorce .... she has several kids in her later 20's. You will also notice that the cool friends that you are meeting there with ..... although awesome .... are married.... and so are their friends. But, don't worry .... after you get snickered at by her married friends .... you will get to see them later ! In fact, you get to see everyone ... later. Later that night if you go out. And, the next weekend .... and the next weekend ..... and you get the point? But, the good news is, you only have the chance to see them on the weekend because .... that is the only time anyone goes out. And, it better be the summertime as well.

It's not a town for meeting people. Now obviously, I'm super sarcastic ... but the bit of truth in that joke is ... a little too close for comfort.

But, on that note, since you probably want to live in Des Moines, (and its a post about Des Moines).

Crime? I'm sorry, I just gotta laugh. Forget about that part.

Place to live? I would live in some lofts downtown, but the "suburbs" you speak of ... well, seem so close to me that it just doesn't even matter. I wouldn't consider it important ... I mean, it just doesn't seem to be.

I don't think anyone knows about the job market. It's as good as most places, or the same. If you are aggressive, don't worry about it.

So, I'm only trying to help. I tried to read into your question a little bit ... and SAVE YOUR LIFE. HA. No, Des Moines is definitely a good place and there is all the good you want to find. But make no mistake ... it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
Ya hear that? You're "literally insane" if you choose Des Moines over MSP....

Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRole View Post
Hey guys! I'm from a bigger city!

Sorry dude, that's about all I caught from the last half of your post and another post of yours on a different thread.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but if you really want to discuss Minneapolis you know there are forums here to do that, right? No one is asking about Minneapolis and this is an Iowa forum.

If you want to come here and talk bad about Iowa, Des Moines or whatever, go right ahead. While it may not sit well, it's on subject and your right. Trying to sell Minneapolis in the Iowa forum isn't.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 22,740 times
Yeah .. make sure you take any opinions with a grain of salt. (Definitely excuse my sarcasm in my previous post). Des Moines has a million great things about it. I wouldn't however, try to sell you on Des Moines if you were, i.e., an avid skier ... nor do I think the website rules require that. I'm not going to be a long time member of this site ... I was just on it asking about another city. Out of all the great things about Des Moines, I narrowed my response to one issue and, of course, I was clear about that.

I may have tried to "read" into your email a little bit more that I should have, thinking (and totally using a generalization) that a 23 year old male college grad .... would put a very high priority on the singles scene. It's not even healthy to hyperfocus on nightlife. That can be a pretty fake life.

If I read your email as it is, plainly, .... without making an extra effort to get into the nitty gritty (at first I was thinking ... okay, this is a single guy looking for some serious straight talk ... and I know exactly what he's trying to say) .... Des Moines is going to have everything you ask for .... maybe perfect for you? Especially if you have an affinity or a love for Iowa. That means everything. I grew up in a super small Iowa town ... and it wasn't for me.

I wanted to tell you about the twin cities because it gave you an option. I don't think Des Moines has a good singles scene. Like you said .... you are looking for a tad bit of entertainment .... and it doesn't seem a top priority. Minneapolis isn't even my top choice because of the cold. But you know, I'm speaking from the perspective from an over 30 single individual. Since you are in your early 20's ... that is a whole different pool. Especially given that Des Moines is bringing in tons of new people.

The posts following my original, looking at them in a constructive light (which is the only one that would help YOU), have value. Anyone can bash Des Moines for the things they like about a bigger city ... Des Moines is the best city for some things, but a poor choice in other respects too. Top rated places for singles/fun like Denver, CO and others, well ... obviously its hard to dispute the accolades. Facts are facts.

But you know about that ... you don't want the "hustle and bustle" as you put it.

I encourage you to view my opinions as a small part of the major puzzle, and you can decide its worth. I hope you get more opinions to YOUR actual questions. I would check to see if the replying parties are "lifers" on here that talk up Des Moines at every chance. You didn't ask for simply ... "positive affirmations." If you did, I would have remained slient. I did respond to things I have a lot of experience with. I am sinlge ... somewhat young ... and educated .... ALL which align with your demographics. If I was married, I wouldn't leave .... and if I get married .... I'll probably want to move back. I mean,there ya go. How much more about Des Moines could I be in every other respect.

Somebody responded to me about a question I had, and it meant the world to me. I wish they would have went into more detali. I hope this helps you.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM

110 posts, read 294,156 times
Smile Des Moines is an alright place

Des Moines really is a great place to live. You can meet people easier, and it's definitely easy to drive around. Contrary to popular opinion, there is alot of things to do in Des Moines, you just have to look. I am an avid beer drinker ( not party animal, I'm in it for quality, not quantity...) Some great bars are down town, The Royal Mile has some awesome beers, El Bait Shop has a magical wall of beertappers, The Lift is a funky little joint that has 2 for 1 martinis on Wednesdays, Hessen Haus has great German beers and food. Theres the art center and all sorts of little artsy places on ingersoll, the East Village, and Valley Junction. I live in West Des Moines, which is a little tamer part of town, a little more predictable. There's some great restaurants popping up all the time, Taki if you like Sushi, Trostels Dish if you like those crazy plates with hardly any food on them. Alba's has some awesome fare as well. We've got dive bars too where if you show up enough, everyone knows who you are! All sorts of stuff to keep you occupied. If you like sports we've got soccer teams, rugby teams, basketball and softball. and a volleyball tournaments all summer that anyone can play in.

Just because the drinks don't cost $12 each doesn't mean you can't meet good people. The nightlife isn't lacking, it's just a different kind of nightlife. It's a little more chill. If crazy times are what you're looking for, we've got that too, Liar's Club, Drink, Crush, and if you want to carry on till 5 am, there's always the Boom Boom Room. Not my kind of places, but they're there nonetheless.

If you're looking for a place to live and are willing to spend a little more, try the downtown lofts or lofts in the East Village. West Des Moines, Windsor Heights, Urbandale and Clive all have good apartments for the money. I live in Regency Woods in West Des Moines, and haven't had an issue yet. Rent.com will give you $100 back if you mention them when you sign you lease

Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times
To the OP - If I was you I'd be looking for a place far more hip and fun than Iowa. Why not the west coast, east coast or even Chicago - a reasonable drive to Iowa.

As much as the people in this state deny it this is still Iowa - old people, small cities and no nightlife. Get out while you are young - you can always come back!!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
To the OP - If I was you I'd be looking for a place far more hip and fun than Iowa. Why not the west coast, east coast or even Chicago - a reasonable drive to Iowa.

As much as the people in this state deny it this is still Iowa - old people, small cities and no nightlife. Get out while you are young - you can always come back!!
Do you really think the only important thing to the youth should be going out at night and "experiencing it all?" Are you really all that convinced that you have to live on the coast to live a 'cool' life? You know, if you live in this state too I don't understand why you would want to encourage rural flight.

Come on this sounds like something I would say when I was in junior high.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times
Yes! When you are young that is the time to experience it all. Not when you are in your 30s and have 3 kids. Especially if he thinks he'll end up back in Ioway someday.

Iowa is a nice place to raise a family, but it is sheltered here; it sure wouldnt be a bad thing to experience living in other areas. I know living in DSM you feel like you already live in the big city, but trust me - in the big scope of things DSM is a rather small to medium sized city stuck in the middle of corn field central - it is lacking much in the way of nightlife and the glitz factor.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
When you are young that is the time to experience it all. Not when you are in your 30s
Haven't you heard? 30 is the new 20...

Seriously, I thought what you did when you were young was to build a foundation for when you were older. And that vacations were things that allowed you to experience "glitz" and "nightlife" without having to deal with it all the time. Does anyone ever watch "Cash Cab" on the Discovery Channel? It's a game show set inside a New York taxi. The thing that just amazes me about the show is that there are "young" people leaving to go to a club or even out to eat at like 11:00 or midnight. And this appears to be the norm. No wonder America's work ethic is under fire if our workers are just leaving to go party eight hours before they are supposed to be at their desks. I remember when I was 23, working in R&D for an Iowa company, and the boss announced we were going to have to work all night to make the demo for the next day. I was so excited! I felt like I had arrived!

Seems like a much more profitable and reasonable way to spend those "young" years, to me...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,598 times
Default Spent a lot of time in DSM...and go out till 5AM now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
Haven't you heard? 30 is the new 20...

Seriously, I thought what you did when you were young was to build a foundation for when you were older. And that vacations were things that allowed you to experience "glitz" and "nightlife" without having to deal with it all the time. Does anyone ever watch "Cash Cab" on the Discovery Channel? It's a game show set inside a New York taxi. The thing that just amazes me about the show is that there are "young" people leaving to go to a club or even out to eat at like 11:00 or midnight. And this appears to be the norm. No wonder America's work ethic is under fire if our workers are just leaving to go party eight hours before they are supposed to be at their desks. I remember when I was 23, working in R&D for an Iowa company, and the boss announced we were going to have to work all night to make the demo for the next day. I was so excited! I felt like I had arrived!

Seems like a much more profitable and reasonable way to spend those "young" years, to me...
I would like to comment on this, as someone who lives in a city now AND as someone who lived in Kansas City for two years and reported to an office in Urbandale (so I spent more then my fair share of time in DSM).

I am 25 now, and live in Chicago, and I can go out till 4 or 5AM on the weekends. I also get up at 630AM everyday for work, so I can catch a crowded bus that takes 45 minutes to go 3 miles in traffic. And I love it!

Even though I go out on Friday and Saturday till the wee hours of the morning, it by no way effects my employer. And yes, sometimes my friends and i meet up for dinner at 10PM or later, and don't hit the bar/club till midnight or 1AM. You really have to live here to understand that mentality, though.

When I stayed with friends in Des Moines:
1) Dinner was at 7 or 8
2) We had to be at a bar by 10 because
3) Closing time was 2

Now when I go out in Chicago:
1) Dinner at 9 or 10
2) Hit the bar at midnight
3) Stay out until 4AM (Friday) or 5AM (Saturday)

It's just a different city with a different pace of life. And the best thing is, no DUI - I don't own a car, and take the cab home from the bar!

...Now if I could just get some Des Moines prices in Chicago, I would be all set!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines