Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 PM

39 posts, read 108,713 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry to ask this question this way - I am new to this. Expanding on Des Moines being the 9th best place to live...I live in Cedar Rapids and am thinking of relocating to Des Moines. I am a social worker and will already have a job. I don't drink and am a true Cancer - homebody. My question is how do Black and White folks get along in Des Moines?????? I am not a martyr - I don't want to live where I have to be fearful. I want to live in a diverse, nice neighborhood where I don't have to be afraid of a cross on my lawn when I get home from work. Is Des Moines a good place to live? More than likely my children, at least one of them will move with me which is fine. Move or stay in Cedar Rapids???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
There hasn't been a cross burned in anyone's yard (that I know of), any racist graffitti on someone's property or any serious racially motived attacks by whites on minorities (although there have been many the other way around) for about 10-15 years. Odds are your experiences here would be no different than Cedar Rapids.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 108,713 times
Thanks - I see not many are willing to give their opinion to this kind of question. I appreciate your response.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxer View Post
Thanks - I see not many are willing to give their opinion to this kind of question. I appreciate your response.

Actually, there's been at least a handful of threads here about this subject. If I remember what they were, I'll post them.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 PM

196 posts, read 776,845 times
I think race relations are overall good in DM. I haven't heard of any issues. People seem to get along well here. DM has a fairly good racial diversity for Iowa. (but it is nothing like Seattle or other places)

DM has a lot of things to see and do for its size. You can check seedesmoines.com and other websites and compare it to where you live now and I think you'll see a big difference.

It is also always rated at or near the top at sites like Forbes, Kiplinger's, and other pubs as far as a place to live and/or do business.

Probably the only downer is the weather is less than desirable quite a bit of the time, but you live in Iowa now anyway, so it is probably no surprise to you.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,147 times
Default ..

Des Moines should have its own forum, absolutely...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 30,174 times
DM is on par with CR as far race relations are concerned. The worst "large" city in Iowa is Waterloo. Stay or go, its about the same.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 27,318 times
Default Experiencing DM

I would say that Whitey bends over backwards here to please black folks. Just your cup of tea, perhaps. The places you have to worry about stepping across your lawn and dealing with violence are places like Memphis, Tn. Just read their forums, sometime. Ah, but that's White Folks that are afraid down there. The crime rate is appalling and white people are generally not too comfortable living there. African American is the dominant population there, and they've made it pretty clear that about how they feel about Whitey.. Scary. So, no, you won't have to deal with that here. DM folks are incredibly tolerant, very sensible, kind people towards everyone. As I find most people in Iowa are. Are people buring crosses alot up there in Cedar Rapids?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Didn't Des Moines have a Black mayor at one time? Also, I don't think that interracial crime necessarily means that it is racially motivated, unless it's pretty obvious. For the overwhelming majority of cirme in this country, it is intraracial. When 86% of White victims and 94% of Black victims are victimized by those of the same raceaccording to the Bureau of Justice from 1976-2005, maybe it's the criminals from within that people need to worry about the most.

Are there places were things can be tense in iowa? From what I know, it seems like Waterloo and Dubuque have at times been tense in that way.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Here's some interesting history about Iowa that I found:Exhibits: Gone But Not Forgotten: A Black Utopia in Buxton, Iowa (http://www.blackiowa.org/exhibits/exhibits/buxton.html - broken link)

African-Americans in Iowa, 1838-2005 « Iowa Pathways

and yes, the mayor's name was Preston Daniels. Clinton also had a Black mayor, who was also a female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines