Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I'll agree that certain portions of Royal Oak are a little over-hyped, such as the southeast corner of the city, but on the whole, it's a far more desirable place than most of Warren. I think the perception of wealth in Royal Oak comes from two things: people from other areas coming in in their luxury cars and spending money on Woodward and in downtown, and some upscale-looking businesses. Royal Oak isn't a rich city, that's Birmingham's job. It just has the bohemian image and compared to other places that have nearly identical housing (Madison Heights, Warren, Center Line) it has image. These other cities were built around the same time but time has been far kinder to Royal Oak, in character and public image both. Like some other poster on here said the other day, people go to Royal Oak thinking it's Greenwich Village or something. It's not, but here in this flyover state of Michigan, it's all we have.
Very well put. I can honestly say I can agree with every aspect of this post. I could see how people would gain such a misconception from driving Woodward as well, and I can imagine alot of wealthy shoppers in Royal Oak don't stray too far from Main Street, Downtown or Woodward. Or visitors either. But in all honesty, all there is outside of those places are blue collar workplaces, fast food and family restaurants and residential districts.

This is infact one of the most logical things I've read on the forum yet, and it makes alot of sense why these would give people such misconceptions. The public image of Royal Oak is very good due to these shopping opportunities. But in the same sense, the public image has become untrue and given way to stereotype.

As for being more desirable than Warren, I agree as well. It is. The southern third of Warren is a borderline ghetto and the other 2/3rds have extremely misleading main roads that would lead people to believe it's still just the southern area. It certainly traces back to the debate of public image. Royal Oak is a far more desirable place because it does have that public image, as well as some small neighborhoods that are wealthy to begin with.

I had made the comparison with Warren because it strikes a very powerful similarity as far as just the elements of the neighborhoods are concerned. They're composed of many of the same characteristics.

~~~
Let's try to get this back on topic though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
I had made the comparison with Warren because it strikes a very powerful similarity as far as just the elements of the neighborhoods are concerned. They're composed of many of the same characteristics.
Maybe the neighborhoods in Central or North Warren, but I really can't see South Warren being compared to Royal Oak. I don't even think they're headed in the same direction, even. In 10 years, I guarantee South Warren will greatly resemble Detroit. It already kind of does.

I don't think Royal Oak will sink that far.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Maybe the neighborhoods in Central or North Warren, but I really can't see South Warren being compared to Royal Oak. I don't even think they're headed in the same direction, even. In 10 years, I guarantee South Warren will greatly resemble Detroit. It already kind of does.

I don't think Royal Oak will sink that far.
I agree. The way I see it, I find North Warren to be better, but Central Warren to be about the same, if not slightly better; and South Warren to be far worse. South Warren is immediately noticeable when entering in any direction but north.

EDIT: By that I mean coming into south Warren from Detroit, not central warren.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,280 times
I love when people write stories all the time and 50% are filled with incorrect facts. I am probably older than anyone on here, and know the facts.. I know of no one from New York or California that came to HazelTucky or BurtonTucky or any”Tucky” back in the day. The automotive plants needed workers and word of mouth get some people from the southern states. Read carefully because only a person with facts such as myself knows the real story. GM, Ford and Chrysler were short of workers and even drove busses to the coal mining cities in KY and brought back workers, that either were working in coal mines and hated it or just graduated from high school and needed a job. This group of people grew up poor and used what was available to make a house, so they transferred their housing mentality to build something out of scraps on a cheap a plot of land in Hazel Park or buy a dilapidated house. That whole area resembled the poor Appalachian areas in KY very soon. See, you learned something new today. I could write 12 chapters about this subject, but you get the picture.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
.....what does this zoombie thread have anything to do with relevant about 2022?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:19 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
.....what does this zoombie thread have anything to do with relevant about 2022?
So much has changed in last decade. I was confused by Hazeltuckey because isn't Hazel park known as Gyzel (sp?) park now

Old 08-26-2022, 06:26 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepena1000 View Post
I love when people write stories all the time and 50% are filled with incorrect facts. I am probably older than anyone on here, and know the facts.. I know of no one from New York or California that came to HazelTucky or BurtonTucky or any”Tucky” back in the day. The automotive plants needed workers and word of mouth get some people from the southern states. Read carefully because only a person with facts such as myself knows the real story. GM, Ford and Chrysler were short of workers and even drove busses to the coal mining cities in KY and brought back workers, that either were working in coal mines and hated it or just graduated from high school and needed a job. This group of people grew up poor and used what was available to make a house, so they transferred their housing mentality to build something out of scraps on a cheap a plot of land in Hazel Park or buy a dilapidated house. That whole area resembled the poor Appalachian areas in KY very soon. See, you learned something new today. I could write 12 chapters about this subject, but you get the picture.
Are “incorrect facts” the same as “alternative facts”?

Old 10-04-2022, 06:24 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider 248;15806659[B
][/b]During this housing boom, hundreds of thousands of gallons of swamp water was drained and filled in with land. Most of the time only the surface water was drained, which is what causes problems with flooding of unsealed basements in the modern day
Michigan is becoming wetter with climate change. Swamps may reclaim everything from South Lyon to Lake St. Clair, including Hazel Park and Royal Oak. New lakes may form. While the suburbs are still populated, basement flooding could become more frequent. Without cars, suburbs depopulate, so there is a limited amount of time to care about this.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Since the "oldest guy in here" resurrected a 12 year old thread I will add my first wife was born and raised in Flint because her father and uncle came up from southern Missouri to work in a GM plant in the mid 50's. He did his 30 and out then moved back south to northern Alabama to live out his life.
The house he bought in Flint was worth less 30 years later when he sold it than when he originally bought it.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:52 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are “incorrect facts” the same as “alternative facts”?
I was wondering about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit