Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 AM

268 posts, read 1,616,504 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Wayne State is on my list of grad schools after I am done teaching English in China. How is the area around the school as far as 1) crime, 2) mass transit, 3) amenities, and 4) how much would a one-bedroom apartment run? (not a studio)

I don't want to buy a car when I return, so is it possible to get by without one?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,333,584 times
Look at the apartments on 4th Street (near St. Antoine). It's a very retro community and in 2002 the rent was less than $300 for a studio size apt? Not sure how dependable D-DOT is for getting around. There is a grocery store at Warren and the Lodge.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,500,326 times
1. Crime is low around WSU. Midtown overall is pretty safe, and the WSU area and surrounding neighborhoods get double police coverage (WSU DPS and DPD). Just use common sense and you will be fine.

2. Mass transit = buses only right now. There are two bus lines that serve the WSU area: DDOT and SMART. There are plans for light rail that will run though the WSU area that we've been told will be up and running by 2014, and while I'm confident light rail will be built, I'm not going to bet the farm on that date...

3. Amenities in Midtown are okay. There is a decent grocery store just off campus (University Market) as well as Kim's Produce, which is a good place for fresh fruits and veggies. There are lots of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, a few bookstores, etc. Lots of unique boutique clothing stores. What Midtown lacks is a big box store, thus, it can be difficult to find things like housewares, kitchen appliances, and basic clothing items, such as socks. Medical facilities are top notch. Entertainment options abound.

4. A nice 1-bedroom is going to run ~$600/mo, though there are some for as low as $300 or as much as $1,400. Here's a good place to start your apartment search: UCCA | University Cultural Center Association

Generally, Midtown is a very fun area. Lots of youthful energy, a big creative class, lots of art and music, some neat architecture, a number of historic institutions, such as the DIA. If you are into edgy urban areas, buying local, and eclectic people, you will really like Midtown.

Good luck on your apt search, and Welcome to Detroit!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,108,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Hello all! Wayne State is on my list of grad schools after I am done teaching English in China. How is the area around the school as far as 1) crime, 2) mass transit, 3) amenities, and 4) how much would a one-bedroom apartment run? (not a studio)

I don't want to buy a car when I return, so is it possible to get by without one?

Thanks!

1. Crime in the WSU area is bad, but not horrible. It depends on where you are. Some parts OK, but go four or five blocks in the wrong direction and you could be in trouble. I would not think twice about living there, but I would not be pleased to have my daughter live alone in that area.

2. Mass Transit. This the the motor city. You really need your own motor. You could get by with no car, but it wold be problematic at times. At a mimimum you will want to come downtown once in a while. Do you have running shoes? You will also be buying limited groceries at the little party store. On weekends it can be hard to find anything open, so you had better have some food stored up. If you make some friends who have cars and will drive you around occaisionally, you will probably be OK. Busses exist, but it is not a pleasant experience to ride on them IMO.

3. Ameneties? Without a car, amenities are pretty limited. You will get to know the art museum and the library pretty well. If you can find a way to get to the stadium and theaters and/or downtown, there are more options. What ameneties do you want?

4. Prices are all over the place. It depends on how nice a place and how good an area you are looking for.

IN Grad school, you will be very busy and not have a lot of time for play or adventure, so you may be fine without a car. What do you really need? A pizza parlor, a decent bar or two, a library, and a gym/raquetball court, maybe some groceries or toiletries once in a while. You will be so busy that you will nto hav emuch time to notice whether there is a nearby stadium, or a dance club or whatever.

You will at least want a bicycle. However in the winter, that can be tough. Even in the spring. It is snowing like mad right now. I would not want to be riding a bike.

If you can get in, Ann Arbor is a much more pleasant area to live, especially without a car. In fact, when I was there, I ended up getting rid of my car becuase it was a nuisance. The WSU area is not horrid (most of it isn't anyway) and it is getting better every year it seems, but you will still be somewhat of an urban pioneer living there.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM

655 posts, read 2,208,009 times
Coldjensens - How familiar are you with the area. Your crime response was bit of a huh but not knowing about University Market is even worse.
-----
Old Surrender:
1) Property crime is usually what I heard about. No car means you don't have much to worry about.
2) Mass transit depends on where you are going. Give us ideas of where you want to go. You'll be close to Woodward so you can choose between DDOT and SMART. That's better than having to depend on the lesser routes especially during winter. Also being close to downtown will give you a central point to grab most of the busses that will take you all over.
3) You need to be more specific with this one.
4) That depends on what you are looking for. I'd try to move into campus apartments. They have built a lot over the last few years. In fact they are building more right now. The independent apartments can be hit or miss. Even newer ones are not guaranteed for much except emptying your wallet. Though that's true anywhere.

It's possible to survive without a car. Some of us have to. It just required planning and a lot of patience. That and/or friends willing to drive you around.

Overall I'd say live as close to WSU as possible. It'll make late nights/early mornings on campus less of a chore. Don't be scared away by boogeymen. It's possible to have zero problems. I've done it and so have others. There is always the possibility of running into issues anywhere. Detroit isn't a utopia. Nowhere is.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,406,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Coldjensens - How familiar are you with the area. Your crime response was bit of a huh but not knowing about University Market is even worse.
-----
Old Surrender:
1) Property crime is usually what I heard about. No car means you don't have much to worry about.
2) Mass transit depends on where you are going. Give us ideas of where you want to go. You'll be close to Woodward so you can choose between DDOT and SMART. That's better than having to depend on the lesser routes especially during winter. Also being close to downtown will give you a central point to grab most of the busses that will take you all over.
3) You need to be more specific with this one.
4) That depends on what you are looking for. I'd try to move into campus apartments. They have built a lot over the last few years. In fact they are building more right now. The apartments can be hit or miss. Even newer ones are guaranteed for much except emptying your wallet. Though that's true anywhere.

It's possible to survive without a car. Some of us have to. It just required planning and a lot of patience. That and/or friends willing to drive you around.

Overall I'd say live as close to WSU as possible. It'll make late nights/early mornings on campus less of a chore. Don't be scared away by boogeymen. It's possible to have zero problems. I've done it and so have others. There is always the possibility of running into issues anywhere. Detroit isn't a utopia. Nowhere is.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
well said! crime around that area isn't very high, even if you do have a car, just don't leave valuables in it. Thats everywher, not just Detroit.

the plus side is, midtown has a lot of affordable apartments especially for students. Some start as low as $200/mo and are nice

Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 20,167 times
You said about going to Wayne State so have you heard about those really close apartments that are for students. umm campusvillage.com ? It seems good cause its close and not expensive and I want to go to college at Wayne State so I'm really interested but I'm getting a bad feeling for some reason. Do you know anything about it by any chance??

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 19,002 times
I have to agree with Coldjensens on a lot of his points. I'm currently a student at Wayne State and live in the area, and here's the info:

1. Crime: You're in Detroit. People try to sugar coat it, especially people from here, but the simple fact is there's lots of crime. Now I will say this, most of this crime is motivated by money. Meaning car jackings and property theft are the MAJORITY of crime in the Wayne State Area since Wayne is very tightly policed by its own police force as well as Detroit Police. There will be muggings etc., but aggravated assault or anything leading to bodily harm is in fact pretty rare. I don't understand how anyone can say crime isn't bad, when if you walk 4 blocks in any direction away from the university you wouldn't feel safe at night. Heck maybe even during the day.

2. Mass transit sucks. Not to be used at night unless you're a bum. Like it was mentioned before, this is the Motor city.

3. university market is a pathetic excuse for a grocery store. Consider it more of a market for unhealthy people. They do have the basics, so if you're just looking for some basic fruits and some kraft dinner, then you're good to go. But if you like cooking, you're gonna have to drive to the suburbs. Kim's produce which just opened up? They have some fresh fruits etc., but they're the organic type store that's a little pricey.

4. Prices really are all over the place. One bedroom places are always going to be alot more than having a roommate. It depends on your standards. Most of the "nice" places (ex. studio one apartments, the lofts at garfield, new amsterdam lofts, etc.) I've seen around here can go for 700-900/month, but I'm sure there are cheaper. Don't look to spend less than 500 though. Again, much cheaper if you find a roommate.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,406,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkt86 View Post
I have to agree with Coldjensens on a lot of his points. I'm currently a student at Wayne State and live in the area, and here's the info:

1. Crime: You're in Detroit. People try to sugar coat it, especially people from here, but the simple fact is there's lots of crime. Now I will say this, most of this crime is motivated by money. Meaning car jackings and property theft are the MAJORITY of crime in the Wayne State Area since Wayne is very tightly policed by its own police force as well as Detroit Police. There will be muggings etc., but aggravated assault or anything leading to bodily harm is in fact pretty rare. I don't understand how anyone can say crime isn't bad, when if you walk 4 blocks in any direction away from the university you wouldn't feel safe at night. Heck maybe even during the day.

2. Mass transit sucks. Not to be used at night unless you're a bum. Like it was mentioned before, this is the Motor city.

3. university market is a pathetic excuse for a grocery store. Consider it more of a market for unhealthy people. They do have the basics, so if you're just looking for some basic fruits and some kraft dinner, then you're good to go. But if you like cooking, you're gonna have to drive to the suburbs. Kim's produce which just opened up? They have some fresh fruits etc., but they're the organic type store that's a little pricey.

4. Prices really are all over the place. One bedroom places are always going to be alot more than having a roommate. It depends on your standards. Most of the "nice" places (ex. studio one apartments, the lofts at garfield, new amsterdam lofts, etc.) I've seen around here can go for 700-900/month, but I'm sure there are cheaper. Don't look to spend less than 500 though. Again, much cheaper if you find a roommate.
Crime in the greater downtown area as whole is comparable to any major city. What some people equate to "area that doesn't feel safe" is usually an area that the same people will call abandoned. Last I checked there must be people around for it to actually be dangerous. Besides the only areas in Midtown that still feels a little bare in places is Cass Corridor and Brush Park, areas they more than like won't be walking around at night anyway. Secondly why would they HAVE to go to the burbs for groceries? especially since they'll be a few miles away from Eastern Market and a few grocery stores. Public transit does suck, especially since I'm not one for it period. Bus, rail, cab etc doesn't float my boat but taking the bus does not mean you're automatically going to be harmed. I see plenty of people taking the bus at all times of day and night. The lofts that you named are actually more on the $1,000+/mo but there are plenty of apartments in the midtown area starting as low as $200-$400. Also some lofts not too far for between $500-650.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 19,002 times
Agreed, Eastern Market is awesome. I'm just saying on a daily basis if you're looking for something that has EVERYTHING, like a Meijer or Kroger, then you're going to have to trek it out to Dearborn, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak etc. Overall point is, this isn't the easiest city to live in without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit