Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,277,713 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of apartments nearby (the school has 30,000+ kids). My youngest brother is just finishing his masters in Detroit before moving to Ann Arbor - and lives with a couple other buddies right behind the Center for Creative Studies for $400 a month/roommates. It's probably better to look on craigslist for apartments than an "apartment community" or corporate website. The Midtown area has double the police protectinon (city plus college cops) as other parts in the city - so it's the safest place in Detroit.

PS - I'm a CPA so I think it's a smart choice - just making sure you weren't following whatever was sure to get you a job once you graduate. You only have one life. Do what you love. If that includes numbers and critical thinking - all the better. If it entails cake decorating - no shame in that either.

The only thing i would caution - from a financial perspective - is evaluating whether it is worth it to move to Detroit and pay out of state tuition to go to college when you can pay in state in New Jersey. If you're following love or whatever that motivation is - that's your decision - but you can always move after you have the degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,399,186 times
well, thats what I thought when I decided to major in Accounting so I understand. I am really only good in Math (and History). The plus side is you can always change your major to anything in Business and still graduate on time if you decide Accounting is too much for you.

You may want to check with WSU about their policies of freshmen living off campus. Many shools require students to live on campus, technically the whole midtown area is WSU campus so it won't be much of a difference. You'll still be "on campus" even if you live in apartments. Many of the apartments are really cheap because its designed for students to be able to afford so I wouldn't be too skeptical. Just make sure you check them out. Usually apartments under campus village are nice and legit so I wouldn't worry too much

Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,493,835 times
What's with all the number crunchers (accountants) on C-D!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 20,124 times
Yea manyyyy people have asked why michigan and told me don't go just stay and leave after. But I have reasons to go. One reason is I want to get out of jerseyyy for suree. I want to get away and yes i know, what teenager doesn't. But I seriously want to leave and of course people have said fine leave but not michigan there's many other places but I have a close friend over there so I figured if I'm leaving why not go be near them.

I've found some pretty cheap apartments on websites but the campusvillage thing is really close to Wayne State and it said it was for students so I thought it would be good but yea I'm not pretty sure. Maybe the other apartments are worth living in even if they're farther away. And I checked the whole freshmen living off campus thing when I found out about Wayne State and I'm pretty sure it was allowed to live off campus. And I think i'm good with accounting, I'll change it if anything

Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM

here are some pics of the midtown area to give you more of an idea of the neighborhood looks like

these are some of those cheap apartments

aerial view

also check out the midtown site
UCCA | University Cultural Center Association

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelenaG811 View Post
Yea manyyyy people have asked why michigan and told me don't go just stay and leave after. But I have reasons to go. One reason is I want to get out of jerseyyy for suree. I want to get away and yes i know, what teenager doesn't. But I seriously want to leave and of course people have said fine leave but not michigan there's many other places but I have a close friend over there so I figured if I'm leaving why not go be near them.

I've found some pretty cheap apartments on websites but the campusvillage thing is really close to Wayne State and it said it was for students so I thought it would be good but yea I'm not pretty sure. Maybe the other apartments are worth living in even if they're farther away. And I checked the whole freshmen living off campus thing when I found out about Wayne State and I'm pretty sure it was allowed to live off campus. And I think i'm good with accounting, I'll change it if anything
Have you talked to your friends about MI? what are their opinions? Do they live near the city?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM

My bestfriend lived in detroit and now lives in wixom? I don't know. He said wayne state seemed good but then again he's in high school too so I don't think he knows too much. And that second picture is from the apartments at campusvillage.com :O And that website is where I found out about the campusvillage thing

Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelenaG811 View Post
My bestfriend lived in detroit and now lives in wixom? I don't know. He said wayne state seemed good but then again he's in high school too so I don't think he knows too much. And that second picture is from the apartments at campusvillage.com :O And that website is where I found out about the campusvillage thing
Well he might since he lived here and still lives in the Metro. Wixom is a little ways from the city. Do you know if he'll be attending Wayne State as well? its always good to have somebody in the area with you.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Nah he's not even really interested in college I wish he would he go with me but I doubt it. But that's why I picked Wayne State to be close to him so I can at least have someone I know around when i feel homesick and lonely. That's why I want to find an apartment close to Wayne State so I don't have any problems getting to school and so him and my other friend can visit me without having to go too far from home.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,990 times
I agree with belleislerunner- only and ONLY go into accounting if you have a passion for it. Don't just be one of those who does it 'just to get a job'. Too many of those in the profession to begin with lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit