Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 AM

8 posts, read 12,947 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm buying a house nr Monica & Fullerton, and wish to know which neighborhood / area etc. this place is.
Looking on one map it looks like it is not within the Russell Woods boundary.
I'd appreciate if someone would let me know, so I can do some further research of the area.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,164,940 times
This is an area of a mixture of brick two-family flats and single-family houses. It is wedged between the historic neighborhoods of Russell Woods-Sullivan and Oakman Boulevard. It is a well-built neighborhood, however it is in decline. The flats and houses are not being maintained as much as they used to. There are a number of vacant and abandoned flats and houses, although this area does not have a lot of vacant lots and burnt out houses as some other near westside neighborhoods do (but there are a few). The longterm prospects for this neighborhood's revival are not good. I would guess the crime is typically in this neighborhood as other nearby 'hoods - b&e's, robberies, etc. In addition, there is little retail in the area, especially Livernois Avenue south of Davison Ave. However, north of Davison, there are some fast food, pharmacies, a Bank of America, etc.

Unless you are buying a house to rent out to somebody, or unless you just don't care where you live and you have a lot of streetsmarts and can deal with non-ideal environment, I don't know why you would buy there.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 AM

Thank you for your detailed reply,

I'm buying to rent out, and wish to buy up boarded up houses cheaply, rehab them to S.8 code and rent them out.
This is a long-term venture, not looking for quick sell.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 AM

339 posts, read 976,435 times
I don't know if this is your first time doing this in Detroit. If it is keep in mind that while you are fixing the house, the house will get burglarized and will be stripped of anything you repair. My friend learned this the hard way. What he does now is as soon as the renovation starts he gets a guy he trusts with a very big dog to house sit after the workers are gone. This at least minimizes the chances of someone breaking in. The house he is currently working on still has no working plumbing so the guy he pays to house sit has to go to a neighbors house (they are friends) to use the bathroom and shower. This will add to your budget.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM

I'd better check this out with the firm who will do the rehab.
Thanks for the tip.
Judging by your post, I reckon I'll need all the luck I can get.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlohiya View Post
I'd better check this out with the firm who will do the rehab.
Thanks for the tip.
Judging by your post, I reckon I'll need all the luck I can get.
Some BIG dogs would help. Then you or the firm, get to deal with all the thrills of finding renters and collecting the monthly payment...

Unlike the USS Enterprise, boldly going where few have gone before may not always be profitable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: