Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM

93,240 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
For those who read Sports Illustrated Courage of Detroit...

You gotta read what DETROIT really is...ask JIM BOYLE

Model D - Hey Mitch: Detroit Primed to Play More Than Defense
Nice article that shows a different side of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,537 times
Default The Original Brightmoor Crew

I too grew up in Brightmoor. Attended Gompers & Harding. I remember playing in the big hole that became I 96. Any one remember swimming under the evergreen bridge. There is another get together planned for this year. Not sure of the date and place yet, but you can keep checking on facebook, under groups,brightmoor. My mom used to manage Sonny's Hamburgers on Schoolcraft & Evergreen....I miss that place!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,206 times
Default Brightmoor

I attended Shirley, Harding and Redford. Lived between Acacia and Kendall on Pierson until 1975. Remember going ice skating under Evergreen when it filled up with water and froze in the winter before the completion of 96. No longer have to worry about the frigid cold. Live in North Carolina now. Occasionally we get back up. It's a shame how much the area has changed. Some of the names that may sound familiar in the Schoolcraft / Burt Road area are the Holt's, (me), Hoffmeyers, Bardo, Pirmans, Woods, Fannings, Rabinski, Archers (wife) at Fenkel and Outerdrive area. Memeory getting shorter as I grow older. Hopefully we'll try to make it to the next reunion. Looking forward to seeing some information.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 53,953 times
Default Brightmoor memories

I grew up in this area, 3rd house on DaCosta off of Fenkell....Lived there from 52 to 61....Attended HUBERT school and finshed 8th.grade there...We then moved to Ohio about 50mi. South of Toledo,O. I believe when i was there there was talk aboult building a Jr. High in Eliza Howell Pk area????? Did this ever get built??????? Great pictures of Scottys Fish and Chips, can't belive it is still there..... There used to be a market on that side of the street near there, can't remember the name...We use to scrounge the alleys in area for pop bottle to return at that market and buy Twinkies for a nickel....Your right about it being a lower class area, but the good thing was none of us kids knew that...We all played on the playground of the school till dark....You are also right about the area going downhill....I am a retired Ohio State Trooper, and last fall got back to that area.....Did not feel too safe driving in that area, or rather what was left of it.....Does anyone have any pics of the Hubert School???????Also what happen to the Dairy Quenn that opened n 58 at corner of Fenkell and ?????? it was 1 block from Da Costa???? I used to deliver a newpaper call the Brightmoor Journal, it was a once a week paper.....Thanks for the memories..........Roger

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 45,853 times
Hello Roger~ Good to hear from and old "Brightmoor Brat". I graduated 8th grade from Hubert in '47, so it appears I am quite a bit older than you. I did have a younger brother who graduated about '52. Like you, I delivered the Brightmoor Journal. In fact that was my first job starting about 10 years of age. I advanced to a Detroit News route, added a Times route and then a Free Press route. Kept me busy, but that extra money was great. Sold my routes after entering high school at Redford. Used to caddy in the summers at Western Golf & Country Club, worked at a bowling alley on Fenkell (can't remember the name) that had six lanes and at Brightmoor Lanes located above the old Checker Drug store, also on Fenkell. Both were fairly close to the Irving theater where I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching the double-feature films, several cartoons, the weekly serial and, of course, the Pathe News reel. This was mostly in the forties during the War. Ticket cost was ten cents with with two cents luxury tax added. My sister, Dolly, wrote a weekly column for the Brightmoor Journal for a period of time. Also, she worked at the Brightmoor Community Center on Fenkell near Lahser (this was before the new center was built on Burt Road).

Anyway, great memories remain of my growing-up years in Brightmoor. If you are interested in Hubert and some of the history of the school and neighborhood, there is a great web site: http//www.hubertschool.org/home.html that has a ton of interesting tidbits.

By the way, I, too, ended up in Ohio. After military service and college at MSU, I took a job with Anchor Hocking Corporation in Lancaster, Ohio in 1960 ajnd have lived there ever since.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Brightmoor Brat

Nice to hear from you......I too spent many a days at the Irving....Someone told me it later turned into a Adult Only theatre...Hard to believe......Roger

Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Does anyone know what became of the Dairy Quenn I believe on the corner of Fenkell and LAmphere?????? Also, what was the name of the Dairy on Fenkell near telegraph...Have memories of going there and getting ice cream cones..........What about playing on the play ground of Hubert and everyone going crazy when the Good Humor Man came down the street in that white truck......

Old 03-01-2009, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 45,853 times
Default Bodker Dairy

Don't recall a dairy near Telegraph and Fenkell, but I surely remember Bodker's on Five Mile Road (Fenkell) near Beech-Daly. Used to stop in there for ice cream, usually a black raspberry malted, after a hot day caddying at Western GCC. The Dairy Queen must have come after I left the area and went into the Army in the early fifties. I did live on Lamphere and recall an ice cream parlor on the north side of Fenkell at Lamphere that made their own ice cream. Great stuff and huge servings.

Anyone remember Taub's five and dime on Fenkell near Lamphere? How about the Five Deuces, a neighborhood bar at 22222 Fenkell? Or Smith Groceries between DaCosta and Dolphin?

For a couple of years during the summer months I used to pedal an ice cream bicycle selling all kinds of frozen goodies --- competed with the Good Humor truck, but I think I did as good, if not better, business than he. I had a pretty loyal following back in those days!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Your right, it was Bockers or something like that hear Telegraph.....Used to go with my folks, my mom alway got something called Butter Brickle.....The Dairy Queen was on corner of Lamphere and Fenkell, built about 1958 or 1959.....Yes, I do remember Smith Market, my gang used to scroungle pop bottles in alley's to turn into cash.....Those were the days..................

Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Default Old Photos

Does anyone have a old photo's of the rear of Hubert School, Smith's Market, Irving Theatre and Fenkell in that era 1950-1960's???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit