Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 27,205 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just have a few questions for those of you that know the Detroit area. My family may be moving there shortly for my husband's new job. We have a annual income of around 60k. I plan on staying home with my 1 year old son. I am trying to find an area that is both generally "safe" and somewhat busy. Since I'll be home during the day I am looking for places to do things and meet people. Any suggestions on location? Any tips? I assume that your weather is closely related to mine since we are almost at the same longitude and area. I dont think we want to buy a home but maybe a condo or an apartment to buy? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,913 times
Hi! Welcome to Michigan!

I have been living in the Detroit Metro area for 2 years now.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Is your husband going to work in the city? How long of a commute would he be able to stand? Is art important to you? Nature? Schools? Trendy neighborhood, or suburbia?

Generally speaking, Oakland County is the way to go. Compared to suburbs in Wayne county (south and west of Detroit), Oakland county has a better economy, there is much more going on.

I wouln't live anywhere near 8 mile. Avoid Hazel Park.

To the north of Detroit:
The swankiest area in Metro Detroit is Birmingham, maybe out of your budget, not sure. Next, is Royal Oak. Royal Oak is a bit more affordable, but still pricey. Both places have a lot going on- restaurants, art galleries, nightlife. Very safe. Troy also has a lot going on, but lacking a centralized "downtown." It is more like an "area." Seems to me a good place to raise a family, not sure about parks and stuff, though. Troy is supposedly the safest community in Michigan. A large area. Somerset Mall is there. Troy is considered a bit swanky, too, but I think you could find something reasonable there as it is so big. I live in Clawson, which a small town smack dab in the middle of Troy and Royal Oak. It is a cheaper area than either, not a happening place, but it is really close to both areas so I can get to the nightlife easily. I love Clawson because it is an old and established community. Its the kind of place where you get to know your mailman. Its a small town. Lots of families and parks. Not a really pretty downtown, though. But you can't find anywhere else that's like this and is so close to Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Troy. Oh I almost forgot Berkley! Berkley is also right next to these places- it is on the up and up. You could find something affordable there, that would be a good choice. Berkley is a little nicer Clawson with less old people.

Over in Macomb County, just north and east of Detroit:
Sterling Heights is a good area. lots of restaurants, seem to hear good things. Warren and Madison Heights are a bit more industrial/old/business feeling, though you can find lots of cheap housing there. I would consider it safe definitely, unless you are talking Warren near 8 mile area- that's bad. But neither of those areas are the best choices IMO. When you get into Roseville and Clinton Township, there are some OK areas, but I hear of crime. St. Clair Shores, All the way on the east side by the beach, I hear is really nice. Never been.

West Side of Oakland county:
West side is definitely more expensive, but seems like more family communites as opposed to Birmingham and Royal Oak which are more trendy. West side- like Novi, Northville, Wixom, Walled Lake, Commerce Township, seem like ideal places to raise a family. but, you're talking long commutes to the city for the most part.

All in all, my vote would be anywhere near the Royal Oak area. Easy access to I-75 and Woodward, which is great. You can find affordable places if you look. Berkley maybe. There is much to do. Very safe. It is the best area in Metro Detroit IMO.

Never been to WI but have a friend from Milwaukee and she says weather is the same pretty much.

Last edited by mariatherese; 09-12-2006 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-12-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Thank you!!

Your suggestions are great! I am really into the whole antiques thing so an area that has some of that would be great for me. You know, I dont mind doing some driving to get where I want to go, I just want to live in an area that is nice, and somewhat busy. Where my husband would be working is Rosevile? or Rooseville? How is real estate there? Like I said I think I need like a townhouse or something. I Love the the old stuff so I might have to do some looking. Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:41 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,913 times
ooooh- i love antiques, too! there are lots of antique shops in royal oak.

roseville is what you mean. its on the east side. real estate is very affordable there. but if you get too near 8 mile in that area, it can be unsafe. my fiance used to work in roseville- i just asked him, and he said he would suggest any area around or above 11 mile in roseville (meaning 12 mile, 13 mile, etc- the more south you go, the closer to crime you get). he said he would live in roseville, it is safe. it also has lots of restaurants and things to do.

roseville would prob be one of my picks for the east side, unless i could afford st. clair shores- which is a little more expensive, but nicer.

good luck!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Your advice is so helpful! Thanks again! - Kristen

Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd251 View Post
Hello! I just have a few questions for those of you that know the Detroit area. My family may be moving there shortly for my husband's new job. We have a annual income of around 60k. I plan on staying home with my 1 year old son. I am trying to find an area that is both generally "safe" and somewhat busy. Since I'll be home during the day I am looking for places to do things and meet people. Any suggestions on location? Any tips? I assume that your weather is closely related to mine since we are almost at the same longitude and area. I dont think we want to buy a home but maybe a condo or an apartment to buy? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!!

Roseville is a quant, middle income town. Very affordable and real estate will be a bargian as there are a ton of homes on the market so its a buyers market... be patient and find what you want, and you can still bid well below people's asking prices as there is just too much supply of homes on the market. You'd probably want to live north of Roseville (its very small town), Sterling Heights is just northwest of Roseville and one of the top 10 safest towns in America with population over 100,000. Huge mall in Sterling Hts, tons of condos in northern sterling heights if that is your thing. Clinton Township also has some very nice areas. Both these cities are very safe, the schools are good, especially the farther north you go. We have a freeway called M59, so I'd look at schools/housing within 2-3 miles of it. That would put you about 6 miles north of Roseville and in the best school districts in that area.

Roseville and St Clair Shores are older suburn type of developments with lots of homes built in the 40s/50s etc, lots of smallish 1200 sq foot ranches. Not a ton of condos, mostly single detached homes or apartments. In Sterling Hts or Clinton Twp you can get anything from a 1400 sq foot home to a 3500 sq foot home to condos to apartments... much bigger cities. Depends on your taste.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM

My husband will be working at a Triumph dealership in Roseville, we arent looking to buy a home there yet but possibly a condo or townhouse. All of your advice is very appreciated!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 21,801 times
check the Mt. Clemens,Clinton Twp, Mt. Clemens areas, all have good areas to live. L'Anse Cruse, Lakeshore, and Clinton Valley are good school districts. Macomb County is the best lower income area in the Detroit area. Have lived here for 40 years after moving from Maine and love it.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,252 times
Welcome to Michgan

I am a West-side transplant from Ann Arbor, Livonia, and New Hudson previously LOL. I live in Utica area and have for almost 7 years...East-side rules!!! We have fun over here 'cause we're not so concerned about bling-bling and socioeconomic standing (sorry about the commentary LOL).

It's very convenient area...Lots of stores, restaurants, amenities. Also, Macomb County taxes are lower (I think, but don't quote me on this). Utica has great schools too. We have parks and it's a very safe, family-friendly area to live.

If I lived a half hour from the ocean, I could live here the rest of my life LOL The weather is the only thing making me want to move.

I have driven to St. Clair Shores (which is further away from Roseville for me) and it takes me 20-30 minutes (depending on rush hour or not).

Another nicer area is Fraser and it's not far from Roseville for another idea.

Hope your move goes well Keep us posted

Old 09-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! You know, I hate winter but this opportunity arose for my family to move and it's just too good to pass up. Hey, the weather in Michigan can't be that different then here! Maybe someday I can live in sunny Miami, but until then I think that the Detroit area will suit me just fine!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit