Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:21 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,624,965 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about writing a book. One about relocation and another about Detroit and Metro Detroit. This is just a draft, but please let me know what you think!

Pure Michigan
What you see is not expected yet,
this town has much Pure Michigan beauty-
downtown and beautiful designs, don't fret
what you see is not expected yet.
Sit down at the cafes ad get
waffles with chicken or toppings so fruity.
What you see is not expected yet
you'll learn this town has Pure Michigan beauty.

When I was 24 years old, for reasons I can only explain and a few people that can understand, I decided that I would move to Detroit. I had not been there yet, but as a pre-teen and young teenager I always wanted to go to meet Eminem or Twiztid or whomever and would be a famous writer there. "BECOME AN INTERN FOR THE TIGERS" or "SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERT WANTED," I can still see those words of the Facebook and Indeed advertisements so vividly. I was a new college graduate and I sent my resume off and expected to say adieu to King of Prussia by the end of February.

But, there were apparently other plans as I wasn't considered at that time or never heard back from the writing jobs I feverishly applied for. I fell into a deep depression and decided to try retail in King of Prussia for a few months to transfer to Detroit or Roseville; I had decided on Roseville because I want to do suburban living and the kind folks at City-Data.com said Roseville was the most transit friendly suburb. Yet, I never heard from retail in King of Prussia and decided, "I might just have to take the plunge and move."

So here I am at 24 and half (closer to twenty-five, only two months shy) sitting on a bus leaving Toledo, Ohio. I had just spent twelve hours on a train; I was tired, yet I was excited and I knew sleeping would be out of the question even at 8:30 in the morning. I had Twiztid blasting on my purple iPod because I thought it would be fitting. I also still had the Faygo this kind black woman gave to me as we entered the Toledo station. Our train was an hour late and we were told we would have to wait another two hours because the bus left or the bus was waiting for another late train that had folks headed for Detroit, Jackson, Ann Arbor and Lansing on board. However, fate was on my side: they found a bus and we were leaving now. We exited Toledo quickly and I was excited to see the "Welcome to Pure Michigan" sign, but the driver was going too fast to snap a picture.

As "Down With Us" was flooding into my eardrums, I spot a dozen "Detroit" signs and my heart races and flutters; surprisingly through Monoxide's rapping I can hear the driver announce we're only 20 minutes away from Detroit. I'm really excited now as we pass signs instructing drivers they can go to Lansing through this exit or Canada through another exit and I try taking pictures of some of these signs. I am a weird photographer at times, but I've always loved taking pictures of road signs for scrapbooking purposes. Then, lo and behold, we're stuck in traffic and I see the beautiful buildings of Detroit's landscapes. It wasn't how naysayers to me moving to Michigan thought it would look like, the buildings looked to be in good shape.

I shut off my iPod and begin talking to people around me. The bus starts going again and sadly he is going too fast to snap the picture of the water tower (I'm assuming that is what it was) that read "Welcome to the Motor City" in Cadillac lettering with a pretty mural painted onto it. I continue talking to the people around me and I'm surprised to hear this one gentleman was moving to Detroit to retire and he was happy to be here. I told him I was looking at apartments in Roseville to move. I mentioned that I am a writer and he asked if I heard about Project Write a House. I told him I had back in January, but hadn't heard any more updates. I started talking to an older woman and she just said, "I should welcome you to your new home!" She was very nice and sincere, which was a nice change.

When we got off the bus, the woman directed me how to get to some eating places and she also introduced me to her family. The family was very nice and they welcomed me as well. She told me which way to get to one bakery, but I messed up the directions. I had all intentions to the go this café people on City-Data suggested, but I stopped at Motown Coney Island instead. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed their chicken and waffles and the price. It was less than $10 for the waffles and orange juice. The waitress was friendly and I was sitting next to a middle aged African American man who was very helpful in telling me where to go and just someone friendly to talk to.

Of course, I have a lot more to write... but this is for the first hour I arrived.

https://www.facebook.com/jessicawrit...5830223&type=3

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 05-30-2014 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Grammar and spelling mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM

123 posts, read 224,589 times
Jess
Welcome to Detroit/Michigan.
Hope things work out for you.
Nice that you are keeping an open mind about everything
but......
Be careful who you trust, there are some not very nice people out there

Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoletsgo View Post
Jess
Welcome to Detroit/Michigan.
Hope things work out for you.
Nice that you are keeping an open mind about everything
but......
Be careful who you trust, there are some not very nice people out there
Not in Detroit yet, still in PA. Waiting for a job so I can move to Roseville. I think I'm going to get a 2nd job in King of Prussia... in retail. Make extra money and maybe transfer. I'll still look at jobs in Detroit and Roseville, though while working and hopefully it'll look good to employers.

And I know. I learned it the hard way where I live now in Pennsylvania... the VERY hard way.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,891,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Not in Detroit yet, still in PA. Waiting for a job so I can move to Roseville. I think I'm going to get a 2nd job in King of Prussia... in retail. Make extra money and maybe transfer. I'll still look at jobs in Detroit and Roseville, though while working and hopefully it'll look good to employers.

And I know. I learned it the hard way where I live now in Pennsylvania... the VERY hard way.
What I would do is get you a job that's easily transferable (chain restaurant/ retail for example).

Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
What I would do is get you a job that's easily transferable (chain restaurant/ retail for example).
Yeah, I'm going to try Starbucks, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Verizon and there is a Chick-Fil-A around the area, right? I've been working in a library for 8 years and will keep the library job as long as I'm here... so I'll be working part time and I hope that'll land me a job. It should, right? I'm hoping I can transfer in 2 months.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,284,374 times
Surely you have something better to do than move to Detroit and blog about it.

It's your life kid.

I would head back to school and get a more practical degree. Or just start sellling realty or something.

This "new economy" we are all enjoying is absolutely ruthless. If you don't plan carefully you are going to find yourself marginally employed for the rest of your life, as are so many of the young people from your generation.

My two cents. I won't harp on it. Wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Destination affliction---the belief that everything will be better somewhere else.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Destination affliction---the belief that everything will be better somewhere else.
I sense that in what I've read so far. . .

Even if you get a transferrable job, are you sure retail/service will provide you the income you need?

Rose colored glasses: you might need to take them off for awhile. . .

Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I sense that in what I've read so far. . .

Even if you get a transferrable job, are you sure retail/service will provide you the income you need?

Rose colored glasses: you might need to take them off for awhile. . .
No. I do hope to get a better job though or at least work two jobs. There's nothing in my area that is related to my field either. Most people are moving out of the area because there's just nothing here either. Most people my age end up in retail; the few jobs that are left here are upper management in finance or technology... but a lot of those companies are leaving because we're tax free for businesses for 5 years and once that is up, the places relocate (and taking people with them). Also, the price of living here, most people are moving out because there are just no jobs for the price of living. I also want out of Pennsylvania... I absolutely hate it here. I love the Midwest.

I also spent 5.5 years in school... I really don't want to go back. I want to find work and not get myself into debt. Maybe after I find work I'll go back, but right now going back isn't an option.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Best of luck, then! Let us know how things work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit