Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,110 times

Advertisements

My family is considering buying a house in southwest Berkley. I've done enough research and heard about Berkley enough on this forum to know it's one of the safest cities in the metro Detroit area. My question is how safe are the areas of Southfield and Oak Park bordering Berkley? From what I've looked at online, it seems those areas are pretty safe, or at least some of the safer areas of their respective cities, but I wanted to get some opinions from people that know the area better than I do. Are they safe enough to go for walks with my wife and 1 year old in? We'd probably like to go to Catalpa Oaks Park too - is that a nice area? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM

Any thoughts on this please?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
The crime in those cities are average at worst. Yes you will be fine walking around.

If you absolutely must live near Berkley, you can also try Ferndale, Royal Oak, Clawson, Huntington Woods, or Lathrup Village.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 AM

18 posts, read 31,622 times
Royal Oak and Ferndale are a bit pricy. Southfield is alright in the north side of town, but towards the south towards the Detroit border it gets a bit worse. Same with Oak Park. From what I've heard, Huntington Woods, Berkley, and Lathrup Village are really nice and fairly cheap.
If you really aren't worried about budget and more worried about safety, maybe consider Livonia, Northville, Plymouth, Canton, Novi, or Milford.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:24 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
See the statistics for yourself

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

Southfield and Oak Park are about average. With Berkely considered to have 'low' crime.

That being said, my wife's parents live in Southfield and I don't think they or my wife have ever felt that Southfield is 'dangerous'

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Thank you all for the helpful feedback! We had an offer accepted on the Berkley house. I figured that the safety of the areas of Southfield/Oak Park near Berkley would be better than what the overall stats show for the entire cities.

Marvin - We also considered all of the places you mentioned. We ruled out Ferndale, Clawson, and Lathrup Village because their public schools weren't as good as some others in the area. We love Huntington Woods and Royal Oak, but our budget didn't go far enough for what we wanted in those places.

Geography - We would've loved to have lived in Plymouth or Northville, but were limited by the locations of our jobs (south Detroit for my wife, Troy for myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit