Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 42,734 times

Advertisements

What's the scoop on the Morningside neighborhood of Detroit? I'm considering a purchase on Audubon rd near Mack, on the Detroit side of Mack of course, not GP. You think that neighborhood will increase in value in the next 20 years? Reasonably safe to walk around, etc? Newly married, no kids. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
It's decent, but could be way better. About a dozen or so blocks to the west and things are really problematic. Same for across 94 and along Moross Road. This area used to be fairly decent before the recession but really fell when foreclosures started to hit.

The few blocks east of Outer Drive to I-94 is mostly considered East English Village and has just barely been hanging on. The neighbors there spend a lot of effort to keep the neighborhood clean and safe and are mostly pretty friendly actually. Audubon lies just outside of the neighborhood specifically, but it's close enough to still be pretty good. Here's the neighborhood association for EEV.

East English Village, a Detroit neighborhood of choice

As for value increasing in time, that's somewhat hard to say. Crime is still a problem for Detroit and many neighborhoods (Morningside included) have an uncertain future as the city emerges from bankruptcy. Morningside could go either way unltil crime and city services are addressed.

In the past couple of years, prices have already gone up by double digit percentages pretty much all over Metro Detroit, but mainly from low inventory. I suppose if the city actually gets a handle on the problems it still has, prices will continue to go up if not increase the demand for new construction.

In Detroit proper, property is still a gamble if the house/neighborhood hasn't already seen renovations yet.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:31 AM

429 posts, read 971,435 times
I have spent a good deal if time in that general area. I have a client several streets to the east of Audubon on chats worth a couple blocks north of Mack.
That area is interesting if you go just a few more streets east of chats worth there are 2 streets that a total mess bad(one of thoae 2 streets is like a garbage dump. People dump everywhere on the lawns and on the road) But if you keep going east it becomes ok again for a little while.

One thing I have noticed is I am starting to see more and more houses boarded up in that area. Where as less than a year ago there were very very few. In the last month I have noticed at least 6 or 7 get boarded up. This isn't nessacarily bad but it might be. Depends on if anyone buys them and who buys them. Or if they sit long enough to get scrapped.
Most of the area south of warren, east of outer drive and west of alter I am comfortable in with the exception of a few streets. I feel fine driving thru at any time day or night. To be out walking around alone I would do it during the day but might feel a little uneasy about it but I would still do it. At night I wouldn't walk around alone. But I would feel ok going to the gas station alone. There really isn't a whole lot to walk to so it prob isn't something you will do often, unless u have a dog or something.

My personal thoughts on the neighborhood are with it being so close to grosse pointe as long as Detroit continues in the forward movement the have right now that neighborhoods will stabilize and then begin to get better. Any neighborhood boardering downtown or a good/decent city will be the first ones to see a positive change start to happen.

There are some good deals to be had in that area and/or there will soon be good deals.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:33 AM

Oops forgot to mention I am a 33 ur old white female. In case that matters when I talk about how safe or not safe I feel in that area

Old 06-22-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
There are some good deals to be had in that area and/or there will soon be good deals.
Actually, the Detroit Land Bank has been auctioning a few homes up for rehab in this area. The starting set of homes were in EEV and there's a few currently listed that are on Three Mile Drive. Hopefully the homes can be fixed up and occupied and turn the tide of the neighborhood.

Building Detroit - Neighbors Wanted

Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM

We're considering a block west of outer drive, about 4 north of Mack, south of Warren. It's in a pocket of niceness, but I suppose you can't know for sure. I've asked a couple neighbors of their experience and also search the crime reports.

Is there a neighborhood council in Morningside? I've seen that dumping grounds several blocks west of Outer drive. It's near what looks like an abandoned fire station or school or something. It just seems like there is a way to stop that. Excuse my naiveté - I'm a first time home buyer in Detroit.

I live in Midtown right now and there is a lot of positive traction around here. Morningside and EEV can be next on the list from what I can tell. It's so close to GP, with a decent foundation, it's ripe for positive attention.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 AM

@animatedmartian thanks for sharing the link to the HOA at EEV. That's a great place to start for me.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 AM

@animatedmartian are you aware of a neighborhood association for Morningside?

Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM

I do not believe they have an association.

And I 100% agree that that neighborhood deff has the potential to be one of the next up and coming neighborhoods. And if it ends up doing that you will have gotten in at a great time.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Yea, I don't think there's an association for Morningside. The far east side of Detroit can definitely blossom, but I think the momentum will come from elsewhere like improving the schools and reducing the crime and blight. Obviously being a more residential area, it needs to be very family-friendly (parks, schools, etc.) if people are going to move in and stay. Detroit still kind of struggles in that department but I'm hopeful.

On the plus side, I think Grosse Pointe has an open school district. Detroit-side families can send their kids to GP schools. Of course, that doesn't apply much to you, OP. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: