Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is metro Detroit screwed by COVID ?
Yes, and it’s a big blow to the city 19 50.00%
No, it will rebound just fine 13 34.21%
Detroit will do it’s thing, COVID has no effect 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:18 PM

216 posts, read 133,221 times

Advertisements

No one mentioned the extinction of the species here by Covid. The question is whether or not Detroit will be financially devastated by this, right now, in the short term. The City already was on shaky ground before this meltdown, but recovering.
I find prognostication a not very profitable enterprise. Let us think of people suffering hardship right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Far worse pandemics have wreaked death and devastation in this world since the beginning of civilization. Yet, we have recovered and went on with our lives. Eventually, I presume this pandemic will go away like the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919 (no vaccine was ever produced, the Spanish Flu just died out according to history). They still built moviehouses and baseball stadiums and bars and dance halls and ballrooms during that era. Maybe it will take a year or so from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 02:58 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,417,414 times
I blame the corrupt UAW management, Roger Smith, and the Morouns, they screwed up big time and ruined a great city .

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2020 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,483,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
It has water
But not drinkable. Flint ruined the reputation of Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I blame the corrupt UAW management, Roger Smith, and the Morouns, they fked up big time and ruined a great city .
You might want to blame the corrupt and inept GM, Ford, and Chrysler management and engineers who cranked out poor-quality products which Americans (and Canadians) had to put-up with, until the Japanese came.

Apparently it's only Motor City for the Big 3 because the rest of the automakers have largely avoided Detroit, despite the infrastructure and talent. One would think that the Japanese would relocate from Los Angeles and the Europeans relocate from the East Coast because of this. Factories and HQs are spread out to various places in the South, especially Nissan's commitment to Nashville.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,242,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
But not drinkable. Flint ruined the reputation of Michigan.

You might want to blame the corrupt and inept GM, Ford, and Chrysler management and engineers who cranked out poor-quality products which Americans (and Canadians) had to put-up with, until the Japanese came.

Apparently it's only Motor City for the Big 3 because the rest of the automakers have largely avoided Detroit, despite the infrastructure and talent. One would think that the Japanese would relocate from Los Angeles and the Europeans relocate from the East Coast because of this. Factories and HQs are spread out to various places in the South, especially Nissan's commitment to Nashville.
Of course the water is drinkable, Flint is a totally different situation from Metro Detroit, come on!

Old 08-06-2020, 09:15 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,939,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Almost every foreign company has a really big presence in SE Michigan.
Subaru R&D, M-B, Hyundai/Kia and Mitsubishi all are in Ann Arbor. Toyota R&D in Plymouth/Canton. Nissan R&D is in Farmington Hills.

VW and Honda are the only major manufacturers that don't have R&D presence in SE Michigan.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:00 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Of course the water is drinkable, Flint is a totally different situation from Metro Detroit, come on!
Actually Detroit City water is the cleanest water of any municipality in the country (or maybe the world). That is the water Flint was on when they switched to a local provider to save money. Then they saved more money by eliminating the additive that keeps water from leeching lead out of the lead pipes and solder. Detroit metro is a completely different story. We have more, better, and cleaner water than pretty much anywhere. Sure there are still lead pipes or solder all over the place just like pretty much everywhere in the world (except maybe Wisconsin or a few cities in Wisconsin), but it is not dangerous if it is properly managed.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:07 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,417,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Almost every foreign company has a really big presence in SE Michigan.
Subaru R&D, M-B, Hyundai/Kia and Mitsubishi all are in Ann Arbor. Toyota R&D in Plymouth/Canton. Nissan R&D is in Farmington Hills.

VW and Honda are the only major manufacturers that don't have R&D presence in SE Michigan.
Also, let’s not forget Rivian who is making headlines in the EV world has a HQ here as well.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:26 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,271,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually Detroit City water is the cleanest water of any municipality in the country (or maybe the world). That is the water Flint was on when they switched to a local provider to save money. Then they saved more money by eliminating the additive that keeps water from leeching lead out of the lead pipes and solder. Detroit metro is a completely different story. We have more, better, and cleaner water than pretty much anywhere. Sure there are still lead pipes or solder all over the place just like pretty much everywhere in the world (except maybe Wisconsin or a few cities in Wisconsin), but it is not dangerous if it is properly managed.
I grew up in Detroit and lived there for a few years (2005) once since I left after college, and I will say that having lived in many states (and a few countries where i won't even note the water) I believe Detroit had the best water. Where I live in ID the water is terrible, loaded with calcium that destroys appliances from coffee makers to washing machines and what I pay is more than most would pay for water in Detroit.

As for Flint that was their idiocy and not sure if it would be possible to make water from the flint river acceptable to anything other than a cow.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:43 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I grew up in Detroit and lived there for a few years (2005) once since I left after college, and I will say that having lived in many states (and a few countries where i won't even note the water) I believe Detroit had the best water. Where I live in ID the water is terrible, loaded with calcium that destroys appliances from coffee makers to washing machines and what I pay is more than most would pay for water in Detroit.

As for Flint that was their idiocy and not sure if it would be possible to make water from the flint river acceptable to anything other than a cow.

Not sure cows should drink it either. Sometimes they find dead cows in the river (dead humans too).

Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM

159 posts, read 171,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Also, let’s not forget Rivian who is making headlines in the EV world has a HQ here as well.
VW has emission labs, after market support & credit operations in Auburn hills
Rivian moved their HQ to California. Rumors are they would move their Michigan operations to California soon. Their product development has already moved.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-to-california
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit