Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 08:08 AM

216 posts, read 132,179 times

Advertisements

Middle Easterners are White= ( Caucasian)- Throwaway. A Suitable, screen name by the way.
At least the last time I checked Race Cards and Drivers Licenses, they are Caucasian. They may not be Christian, but they are White.
Which must make Dearborn a nearly all White Neighborhood then, I guess. According to these statistics you quote here...I must have a lot to learn about racial classifications. Whod've thunk?
Maybe if they were Christians? Only then, could then be counted differently for the U.S.Census this year?
QUOTE=throwaway111;59000117]

Dearborn probably has the largest Middle Eastern population in America. Although this is mostly on the east side (east of Southfield Freeway); west Dearborn is probably 70-80% White.

of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway111 View Post
Why has no one on this thread suggested Dearborn?? It seems to check all the OP's boxes (particularly west Dearborn).

Twenty years ago, there were many more mom-and-pop shops in west Dearborn. Nowadays there are more chain places (both local and national). But the same could be said of Royal Oak and Ann Arbor. I don't think you're going to find many "urban" areas with a large number of locally-owned businesses anywhere in metro Detroit. That said, there are some Arab-oriented small businesses on the east side if that is your kind of thing.

Rouge Park/Hines Drive

Dearborn is just as close, if not closer, to downtown than Ferndale or Royal Oak. And far closer than Ann Arbor. I would guess it would take 15 minutes on average taking the Southfield to I-94. Maybe 30 minutes on a really bad day (snow/construction/accident).
Re: Local Shops

This is incorrect. While there are a few chains, like Whole Foods, McD's, and Starbucks places like Midtown, Corktown, and New Center, are anchored by independent retail shops and dining establishments, such as:

Old School Vintage - re-saler of pre-1990's clothing and other wares

Bleu Bow-tique - clothing shop specializing in bow ties

Socratea - Tea house

Electric Avenue - seller of electric bikes

Sfumato Fragrances - fragrance shop with attached cocktail bar where the drinks are paired with fragrances

Great Lakes Coffee - cafe selling coffee and beer

Grey Ghost - gastropub

For the Love of Sugar - bakery

Detroit Surf Co (Midtown storefront seems to have closed) - maker of custom skateboards, longboards, snowboards, and surf boards

The Turkey Grill - selling turkey legs, sausage, etc

Re: Woods
Your Suggestion: Rouge Park/Hines Drive

Rouge Park is in Detroit. While Hines Drive starts at the northern Dearborn border, it doesn't actually go through Dearborn. A better suggestion for nature in West Dearborn are the several miles of trails along the Rouge River:

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...ord-field-park

Old 08-26-2020, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 48,943 times
I’ve personally never had a problem in Dearborn, but that is the largest concentration of Muslims outside of the Middle East, at least its the largest numbers in the US. I’d think that makes it very family orientated? They don’t have a bustling nightlife full of young singles to my knowledge (I might be wrong).
There’s Dearborn Heights I guess, which is pretty run down with a higher crime rate.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:42 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I’ve personally never had a problem in Dearborn, but that is the largest concentration of Muslims outside of the Middle East, at least its the largest numbers in the US. I’d think that makes it very family orientated? They don’t have a bustling nightlife full of young singles to my knowledge (I might be wrong).
There’s Dearborn Heights I guess, which is pretty run down with a higher crime rate.
Notice, the OP didn't say anything about bustling nightlife - he said coffee shops, local retail shops, farmer markets, and museums. He said he is in his late 30's - bustling nightlife might not be his focus. Downtown West Dearborn does have a few nightlife spots, but not close to the scale of Royal Oak.

Also, there are two sections of Dearborn Heights, separated from each other. There is the section next to Inkster and Taylor, which is kind of seedy-looking. And then there is the section adjacent to Dearborn and Detroit, which is increasingly middle-eastern and VERY NOT run-down, like this neighborhood. Check out this street of HUGE McMansions.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Default Yes,

I too have never had any problem in Dearborn. It used to be the largest population outside the Middle East of Muslims, yes. Maybe it still is, but I heard otherwise not long ago. These are good people, these Middle Easterners whom I have come to know here.
I would not say that Dearborn Heights is run down, no. Are there modest stick built homes in south Dearborn Heights? Sure, yes. There are also more high income areas than average dwellings in Dearborn Heights. Nor would I say that crime rates are high in Dearborn Heights . Also there are beginning to be many families of Muslims in Dearborn Heights so I would say they are family oriented? Surely. Muslim women are
usually conservative in dress and do not dress provocatively, at all. These are usually quiet families, modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post

Old 08-28-2020, 08:25 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
I too have never had any problem in Dearborn. It used to be the largest population outside the Middle East of Muslims, yes.
Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab Americans in the US (40%, ~40,000), but LA has a larger population (20,000 Saudi alone).
However, the majority of Arab Americans are christian (65%) vs. Islamic (25%) vs other

The largest population of Muslims outside of the middle east has been Indonesia since about the 1300s There are over 200 million Muslim adherents in Indonesia.
There are about 175 million Muslims in India, even though only 14% of Indians are Islam

Old 08-29-2020, 07:51 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab Americans in the US (40%, ~40,000), but LA has a larger population (20,000 Saudi alone).
However, the majority of Arab Americans are christian (65%) vs. Islamic (25%) vs other

The largest population of Muslims outside of the middle east has been Indonesia since about the 1300s There are over 200 million Muslim adherents in Indonesia.
There are about 175 million Muslims in India, even though only 14% of Indians are Islam
Indian Muslims have very different way of life than Arab Muslims though. Indian Muslim women rarely cover their heads and arms (unless of course it’s cold outside), and they do not adhere to Ramadan as strictly since most Indian Muslims do drink fluids during the day.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Fascinating Stat.,

A very interesting statistic on there existing here ,more Christian than Islamic Arab Americans. I never imagined because I assumed Arab Americans always mostly Islamic? This religious statistic makes sense to me now after I considered it a while. What better place to immigrate to?
Are there not also pockets of Radical Militant Muslim Groups, scattered about in Indonesia? I noted this information on a world map of spots where such groups exist.
Quote:

Old 09-01-2020, 08:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,426 times
Quote:

I always thought Dearborn had the highest amount of Arab American outside of Middle east. I did not realize it was the highest concentration. In that case, Hamtramck being a smaller city should have higher concentration of Muslim. But Muslim does not equal Arab American.

Also Middle Eastern countries are small in terms of size and population. Hence people talk about the region ME instead of a specific country. Indonesia actually has the largest Muslim population in the world followed by South East Asian countries like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
[quote=keraT;59052670]I always thought Dearborn had the highest amount of Arab American outside of Middle east. I did not realize it was the highest concentration. In that case, Hamtramck being a smaller city should have higher concentration of Muslim. But Muslim does not equal Arab American. [quote]

Maybe, but Hamtramck is only 58% white (including middle east, even though technically the middle east is SW Asia, so Arabic people are Asian)

The 2000 Census said 9% Arabic, but 10% Pakistani and 20% Bangladeshi. 75% of Michigan Bangladeshi live in Hamtramck - that's pretty crazy to me.

Quote:
Also Middle Eastern countries are small in terms of size and population. Hence people talk about the region ME instead of a specific country. Indonesia actually has the largest Muslim population in the world followed by South East Asian countries like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh.
Indian, Pakistan, and Bangladesh are South Asia (not east), all former part of the British Raj. Interesting (but nasty history) the Raj was split into two parts: the Hindi part (India) and the Muslim part (Dominion of Pakistan). In 1971, the Dominion of Pakistan broke into two parts: Pakistan and Bangladesh.

South Asia is typically defined as:

But either way, you are correct - Indonesia (4th most populous country in the world), Pakistan (5th) and Bangladesh (8th) have a lot more Muslims than any single place in SW Asia - the most populous country there is Iran with just half the population of Bangladesh! Turkey has less than 1 million fewer residents than Iran.

SW Asia as a whole only has 50 million more people than Indonesia alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit