Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 05:45 PM

58 posts, read 57,047 times

Advertisements

Any details on Hamtramck? What is the city like? Doesn't seem to have too many places for rent from what I've seen on Trulia. I am looking at a potential move to Michigan and found Hamtramck to be an interesting little city. I would love to know what any Michiganders at city-data have to say about it. Please and Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 07:32 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
There is a regular poster on here who lives in Hamtramck. I am sure she will respond within a day or two. It is the most densely populated city in the state and also the most diverse. Lots of different cultures. Bikeable to downtown, midtown, and the New Center areas. Lots of restaurants and small markets. Lots of dive bars. Historically Polish and you still see remnants hanging on. Rough around the edges. Crime is higher than the suburbs. Home to the minor league soccer team and their raucous crowds. Others can chime in.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:39 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Home to the minor league soccer team and their raucous crowds.
One of the better supported lower division sides but I don't understand why they went with Detroit City FC since they don't play in Detroit. Too many professional soccer teams in the US try to get cute with the names by trying to emulate a European style but don't understand what the designations they use mean. Not as bad as Real Salt Lake or Inter Miami but it remains my only gripe with Detroit City FC. Rant over.

Hamtramck is a fun town to hang out. Does the Painted Lady still exist? It was a great place if you like rock 'n' roll music. Been a long time since I have known anyone that still lived there. Over a decade. Rising crime was a concern then. Not sure what it is like now.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I seriously looked at Hamtramck when looking for a house. I liked it. Still might end up there.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:30 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
What kind of Details are you looking for?

I have lived in Hamtramck for past 22 years and I have to say it is at its peak right now: Peak population, peak housing price, peak diversity. I am comparing to late 90s when my family moved from NYC to Hamtramck. As mentioned, it is crowded especially with COVID lot of people are out walking for exercise, doing home renovation/gardening, &/or just hanging out with friends while social distancing by talking to each other from porch. It is one of the few cities in Michigan where lot of people live without car. It has a city vibe which includes the good and bad side of city. It is rough around the edge, people don't follow a standard social norms but you will have great neighbors and get exposure to different culture/lifestyle.

There are 4 predominate group of people residing in Hamtramck. You have the hipsters, the East Europeans (Polish, Bosnia, Albania, Ukraine), the Middle Easterns (mostly Yemen), and South Asians (mostly Bangladesh). They live harmoniously with each other while keeping their authentic culture. Lot of great food and grocery stores but mostly catered to the 4 groups mentioned above. No big box store, no target or Walmart. Residence often complain about lack of service provided by the city, lack of parking spot & too many darn kids playing in the street. Some complain about the noise level while others love the noise.

Housing is in short supply in the city and there isn't enough rental available. People are renting attics which wasn't the case 5 years ago. Most who can are buy house especially after the stimulus checks which allowed people to save for down payment over the summer. I was told mortgage is cheaper than rent now. But this trend is most likely to change with in 6 months as less immigrants have been migrating to the city due to COVID. Many people are moving to the suburbs for bigger house due to work from home & school at home situation.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me

Old 09-08-2020, 05:24 PM

58 posts, read 57,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
What kind of Details are you looking for?

I have lived in Hamtramck for past 22 years and I have to say it is at its peak right now: Peak population, peak housing price, peak diversity. I am comparing to late 90s when my family moved from NYC to Hamtramck. As mentioned, it is crowded especially with COVID lot of people are out walking for exercise, doing home renovation/gardening, &/or just hanging out with friends while social distancing by talking to each other from porch. It is one of the few cities in Michigan where lot of people live without car. It has a city vibe which includes the good and bad side of city. It is rough around the edge, people don't follow a standard social norms but you will have great neighbors and get exposure to different culture/lifestyle.

There are 4 predominate group of people residing in Hamtramck. You have the hipsters, the East Europeans (Polish, Bosnia, Albania, Ukraine), the Middle Easterns (mostly Yemen), and South Asians (mostly Bangladesh). They live harmoniously with each other while keeping their authentic culture. Lot of great food and grocery stores but mostly catered to the 4 groups mentioned above. No big box store, no target or Walmart. Residence often complain about lack of service provided by the city, lack of parking spot & too many darn kids playing in the street. Some complain about the noise level while others love the noise.

Housing is in short supply in the city and there isn't enough rental available. People are renting attics which wasn't the case 5 years ago. Most who can are buy house especially after the stimulus checks which allowed people to save for down payment over the summer. I was told mortgage is cheaper than rent now. But this trend is most likely to change with in 6 months as less immigrants have been migrating to the city due to COVID. Many people are moving to the suburbs for bigger house due to work from home & school at home situation.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me

I am looking for an area with reasonably cheap rent, easy access to downtown and across the river, a place that is walkable/bikeable. I am not really a fan of the suburbs or chain restaurants/shops. I have noticed the lack of homes for rent there, granted it is a small city. Dunno, how COVID is impacting everything. I will definitely shoot you a message. Thank you everyone for your contributions!

Old 10-30-2020, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 12,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepermanentnomad View Post
I am looking for an area with reasonably cheap rent, easy access to downtown and across the river, a place that is walkable/bikeable. I am not really a fan of the suburbs or chain restaurants/shops. I have noticed the lack of homes for rent there, granted it is a small city. Dunno, how COVID is impacting everything. I will definitely shoot you a message. Thank you everyone for your contributions!
The most objective source of information about Hamtramck is from the US census. The two things that stand out are the excessive poverty and low income. Economically, 1/2 of Hamtramck citizens live in poverty, At 25,000 yr per household, Hamtramck is one of the poorest cities in Michigan. It is significantly poorer than Detroit.

My memories of the city are a solid working class city. I remember old Polish women washing off their sidewalks with a hose, the Polish restaurants, fish and frog legs on Friday night, retail on Joseph Campeau sidewalks, czarnina and the memorial to the Pope. It is probably the most diverse and densely populated city in Michigan.

The city is one of the most walkable in the state. Shopping is far better than that found in Detroit. One negative is that it borders horrible neighborhoods in Highland Park and Detroit. Easy access to downtown? Hamtramck is located in a Metro with the worst public transport in the country.

Poverty aside, it remains the most dynamic city in Metro Detroit.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/hamtramckcitymichigan

Old 12-01-2020, 06:08 PM

43 posts, read 42,541 times
In the late 90s and early 2000s the bar scene was good. I don't think there is much in hamtramck now. The houses are so close together you can open your window and spit into your neighbor house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit