Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,470 times

Advertisements

I’m considering moving to Dearborn for the rest of my college classes. I know that Dearborn has a huge population of Arab born Muslims. I was wondering if anyone knows about the general feelings towards Muslim converts from the Arab Muslim community in Dearborn, especially as a newcomer. Should I expect my experiences to be mostly positive or should I expect it to be a more cliquey environment where I might get ostracized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 02:07 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkvsi View Post
I’m considering moving to Dearborn for the rest of my college classes. I know that Dearborn has a huge population of Arab born Muslims. I was wondering if anyone knows about the general feelings towards Muslim converts from the Arab Muslim community in Dearborn, especially as a newcomer. Should I expect my experiences to be mostly positive or should I expect it to be a more cliquey environment where I might get ostracized?
I think you may find it a little bit cliquey, but being of the same religion you should be able to quickly make some receptive new friends in the community. Do you have a different ethnic background perhaps?

Old 04-04-2021, 02:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Why did you convert?

Old 05-06-2021, 01:28 AM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
You'll love Dearborn.. And if you're looking for a spouse, the options will be endless. Dearborn is generally a very welcoming community to converts. I know many Lebanese and Iraqi families that have converts who've married into their family.
Don't quote me on this, but I'd say that 80 - 85% of the Muslim community in Dearborn are Shia, and the remainder are Sunni.
So if you're Shia, you're REALLY going to love Dearborn. Most of the Shia are Lebanese and Iraqi. The majority of the Sunni are Yemeni, although there is a small Palestinian community as well, and they're all Sunni.
Aside from that, if you eat halal, there is no other place like Dearborn in north America. There are hundreds of halal restaurants, bakeries, butcher shops, grocery stores...etc..
I say make the move! I think you'll love it.
Make sure you look into both east and west Dearborn. West Dearborn is nicer in my opinion. Also check out Dearborn Heights, which is another very Arab-Muslim area.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
You'll love Dearborn.. And if you're looking for a spouse, the options will be endless. Dearborn is generally a very welcoming community to converts. I know many Lebanese and Iraqi families that have converts who've married into their family.
Don't quote me on this, but I'd say that 80 - 85% of the Muslim community in Dearborn are Shia, and the remainder are Sunni.
So if you're Shia, you're REALLY going to love Dearborn. Most of the Shia are Lebanese and Iraqi. The majority of the Sunni are Yemeni, although there is a small Palestinian community as well, and they're all Sunni.
Aside from that, if you eat halal, there is no other place like Dearborn in north America. There are hundreds of halal restaurants, bakeries, butcher shops, grocery stores...etc..
I say make the move! I think you'll love it.
Make sure you look into both east and west Dearborn. West Dearborn is nicer in my opinion. Also check out Dearborn Heights, which is another very Arab-Muslim area.
I believe most of your post is quite accurate although I was always under the impression that the majority of Muslims in the area were Sunni Muslims, while Shia Muslims were more of the minority. I might be mistaken though. Folks from the Muslim community that are local to the actual area (particularly east Dearborn) would probably know for sure.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:24 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I believe most of your post is quite accurate although I was always under the impression that the majority of Muslims in the area were Sunni Muslims, while Shia Muslims were more of the minority. I might be mistaken though. Folks from the Muslim community that are local to the actual area (particularly east Dearborn) would probably know for sure.

You'd be correct if we were talking about global population. Globally the majority of Muslims are in fact Sunni, roughly 85%. The remaining 15% are primarily Shia. In Dearborn the situation is reversed, the Shia are the majority.

This is due to a few factors, notably the large scale immigration which began in the 70s from southern Lebanon. -- This area of Lebanon is a Shia stronghold, so the vast majority of people that have emigrated from that area are Shia.

A second wave of Shia Muslims came shortly after Desert Storm ended in late 1991. Shia were heavily persecuted under the Saddam regime after Desert Storm. The reasons and the history behind that persecution are too long to explain here, however, what happened is that we experienced a huge influx of Iraqi refugees that came here beginning in the 90s, mostly Shia.

There is also a massive population of Chaldeans (Iraqi Christians) here in Detroit metro. There may be a very small percentage that live in Dearborn, but the majority live in Sterling Heights, Troy and Bloomfield Hills.

If you like all things middle eastern, I recommend visiting or moving to Detroit metro.

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 05-06-2021 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
You'd be correct if we were talking about global population. Globally the majority of Muslims are in fact Sunni, roughly 85%. The remaining 15% are primarily Shia. In Dearborn the situation is reversed, the Shia are the majority.

This is due to a few factors, notably the large scale immigration which began in the 70s from southern Lebanon. -- This area of Lebanon is a Shia stronghold, so the vast majority of people that have emigrated from that area are Shia.

A second wave of Shia Muslims came shortly after Desert Storm ended in late 1991. Shia were heavily persecuted under the Saddam regime after Desert Storm. The reasons and the history behind that persecution are too long to explain here, however, what happened is that we experienced a huge influx of Iraqi refugees that came here beginning in the 90s, mostly Shia.

There is also a massive population of Chaldeans (Iraqi Christians) here in Detroit metro. There may be a very small percentage that live in Dearborn, but the majority live in Sterling Heights, Troy and Bloomfield Hills.

If you like all things middle eastern, I recommend visiting or moving to Detroit metro.
Ahh this definitely sounds accurate to me. Thanks for enlightening me on the history & demographics of the metro area a bit more. This totally makes sense, including the part about the Lebanese community in Dearborn & the Chaldeans (Iraqi Catholics) mostly residing in portions of Macomb County & Oakland County as described.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:05 AM

60 posts, read 56,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why did you convert?
He found out that Islam is the one true religion, duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit