Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,995,643 times

Advertisements

This morning I came across a YouTube channel called ROX-TV. Among their content is features about Big Time Wrestling. I am currently watching their Bobo Brazil video after wrapping up their video about The Sheik. Highly recommended.

Happy to find this channel as there is not a lot of Big Time Wrestling content on the internet. The promotion faded before wrestling boomed in the mid-80's and there is know full archive to be accessed as there is with other promotions. In the video about The Sheik it was mentioned that someone is working on a bio that is slated for a '22 release.

My father was not a wrestling fan growing up but my uncle must have watched on, at least, a casual basis. When my cousin and I would be playing with our WWF Hasbro figures ('90-'91) my uncle would talk about Bobo Brazil and about how he was better than Hulk Hogan.

Do we have any forum members that grew up with Big Time Wrestling? Attend shows at Cobo or elsewhere? Attend TV tapings? I would love to hear any stories you may have.

I enjoy the faux documentary about The Sheik, I Like to Hurt People, which is the only pop culture entree that gives Detroit wrestling its due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 05:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,605,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This morning I came across a YouTube channel called ROX-TV. Among their content is features about Big Time Wrestling. I am currently watching their Bobo Brazil video after wrapping up their video about The Sheik. Highly recommended.

Happy to find this channel as there is not a lot of Big Time Wrestling content on the internet. The promotion faded before wrestling boomed in the mid-80's and there is know full archive to be accessed as there is with other promotions. In the video about The Sheik it was mentioned that someone is working on a bio that is slated for a '22 release.

My father was not a wrestling fan growing up but my uncle must have watched on, at least, a casual basis. When my cousin and I would be playing with our WWF Hasbro figures ('90-'91) my uncle would talk about Bobo Brazil and about how he was better than Hulk Hogan.

Do we have any forum members that grew up with Big Time Wrestling? Attend shows at Cobo or elsewhere? Attend TV tapings? I would love to hear any stories you may have.

I enjoy the faux documentary about The Sheik, I Like to Hurt People, which is the only pop culture entree that gives Detroit wrestling its due.
Awesome Thread. I grew up in an era when wrestling came on Saturday mornings, evenings and Sunday mornings and evenings. I watched so much of it. I was a kid. Wrestling was so great back then. This was back before the (WWF came along).

Now, though I cannot stand to watch it. I digress, sorry.

I was a huge wrestling fan. Back in the AWA days, and the NWA. Man those were good. Tommy Rich, Tully Blanchard, Ole and Arn Anderson, Briscos, Rick Flair, Harley Race. Junk Yard Dog, Sgt. Slaughter, Jerry Blackwell, High Flyers, Larry Zabisco, The Original Four Horsemen, TJ, Dusty Rhodes, Nick Bockwinkle. Back in those days.

The matches. My my they were wonderful to watch. I especially loved to watch the NWA. Almost every weekend they had live tapings from some of the top arenas from the region. I watched on the edge of my couch matches from The Omni in Atlanta GA. And so many other great venues.

Barry Windham, before he became one of the four horsemen, he was a fan favorite. I remember on time watching a match from the Omni, and something had happened in the ring. Tully Blanchard was inside the ring, when a person dressed like a secutity guard was seen walking up and got into the ring. Before Tully could react the person, ( It was Magnum PA) grabbed Tully in a full body lock picking him up and slamming him to the mat. And the sound of the crowd. The collective sound from 18,000 fans, going boom!!!

We cannot forget brutal tag team of Ole and Arn Anderson. What a tough team they were. THen came along probably the best Tag Team of all time. The Road Warriors. 6 time world Tag Team Champions. I can remember matches when they met The Wild Sammmoans, Dusty Rhodes. Man what power, grit, heart.
The Road Warriors. When they left the NWA, they came straight to the AWA> at the moment the then World Champions were the Crusher and Jerry Blackwell. In their first match the Road Warriors defeated the Champs, becoming once again the World Tag Team Champions.

I had an uncle who lived in or near St Paul mn. He would get tickets for matches for my dad and I at the St Paul Civic Center. One night dad and I went to see a card at that arena. It was a packed place. We saw the Road Warriors defend the belt against the challangers Sgt. Slaughter and Jerry Blackwell.

Another match we watched once was Rick Flair defeated Barry Windham who was pinned at 25 minutes. We also saw on occasion a few cage matches.

Jack a Jerry Brisco. The Team of Nakita and Ivan Koloff.

Harley Race. Now that was a hard head. Anyway Thanks for the Memories. I am happy to have been part of such a great time. Such a great era. Such great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: