Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2021, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,588 times

Advertisements

I've visited Detroit THREE times and witnessed the comeback that is happening. I want to be realistic. How's the job market? How's the homeless issue? I need to find a job ASAP! Imthe meantime I welcome new friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 01:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
The job market is ridiculous. Every single place is hiring. Many of the jobs are part time with no benefits, but if you have skills or a CDL or any good experience, good jobs are abundant. Entry level jobs are plentiful, but as mentioned many are part time or weird hours or just plain terrible work.

Amazon is always hiring. Trades are always looking especially skilled trades. My employer offers us sizable bonuses if we get construction management people or schedulers to come work for the company. Actually a lot of places offer signing bonuses for people who stay for a year (or even for 90 days in some cases).

Living in Downtown or midtown Detroit is pretty expensive. Suburbs are generally cheaper (depending on which one). Living in the not so nice parts of Detroit is pretty cheap.

Homeless is not a huge problem. Most of the homeless move west because they cannot survive here in the winter. However begging for money is a significant issue downtown. I just walked to lunch and I could not walk ten steps without someone asking me for money. Few of them appeared to be homeless, many wanted me to sign a petition or take a poll, supposed kids selling candy or other things (or nothing) to raise funds for a school trip or project (but they are always forma school that you have never heard of and they tend to appear to be 20-30 years old). One guy I have encountered before,. He is a construction worker who spends his lunch break each day trying to get people to buy him lunch and/or give him money. He is making $60K or more a year - apparently he just likes begging. So while homelessness is significant but not huge compared to other cities, people trying to get money out of you is out of control. Still nowhere near as bad as Los Angeles or New York.

It is hard to make friends. People tend to have long term friends and are rarely looking for new friends (unless there is a problem with them). Frequently, you will have to prove yourself one way or another before you are accepted as a friend. join as many different things as you can. The more you get out and get exposed to people, the more you have a chance of someone beginning to trust you.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:01 AM

610 posts, read 264,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is hard to make friends. People tend to have long term friends and are rarely looking for new friends (unless there is a problem with them). Frequently, you will have to prove yourself one way or another before you are accepted as a friend. join as many different things as you can. The more you get out and get exposed to people, the more you have a chance of someone beginning to trust you.
This. Not that people are necessarily unfriendly, it's just that the vast majority of people in the area have been here their whole life and already have very established friend groups. Something to keep in mind as opposed to other cities that have a more transient population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: