Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:54 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times

Advertisements

It seems a great tragedy has gone by almost unnoticed: the Boblo island boat terminal has been demolished. It's completely gone: link to street view. An interesting article about its history and the demolition can be found here: link to the Detroit News article.

This is really a shame, I would like to have seen historical buildings like the Boblo island boat terminal and the Packard Plant getting preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 08:56 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
This?

https://www.waterwinterwonderland.co..._dock_2007.jpg

Old 03-14-2024, 02:47 PM

Yes, that was the building.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
They are doing a lot of demolition in the area.

The twin smokestacks for the Edison plant in Trenton were blown up this past week. (Big Landmark for boaters)

Ford's regent court building is coming down in Dearborn.

A lot of demo in SW Detroit in the past year.

There was a big really old Detroit factory building too, I do not remember which.

At least they are now replacing therm with really ugly boring buildings (like the Joe Louis Arena site( instead of just leaving empty lots full of rubble.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:22 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
I think the new apartments on the old Joe Louis Arena site looks great from Windsor, adds some nice new glass additions to the skyline.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:29 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Yes, that was the building.
I'm all for historic preservation, but I would describe that building as an eyesore. A large concrete block. Probably didn't even look nice when it was brand new. If it is being demolished so the riverwalk can be extended, I'm all for it.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm all for historic preservation, but I would describe that building as an eyesore. A large concrete block. Probably didn't even look nice when it was brand new. If it is being demolished so the riverwalk can be extended, I'm all for it.
The building was designed by Albert Kahn, the famous architect who also designed the magnificent Fisher Building(in my opinion the most beautiful building on earth) and the Packard Plant. That alone would be enough reason to preserve it. It also has a rich history as a freight harbour terminal and passenger terminal for boat trips to Boblo island. Yes, it was in a state of decline but any building would be after so many years of neglect.

Demolishing a landmark should always be done with care as it changes a city's skyline permanently. Just think of all the Canadians in Windsor whose view on the Detroit skyline will never be the same.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:34 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
It was a decrepit old concrete warehouse in an industrial section away from downtown Detroit. Even if Albert Kahn slept there, it wasn't a landmark.

This was the view from Windsor of the now defunct Boblo Island boat terminal.

The View from Windsor

Call me crazy, but I don't see too many people missing this particular view.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:15 PM

I had planned on going to Detroit a few years ago to visit the Boblo Island boat terminal and the Packard Plant which is being demolished as well at the moment. Maybe take out the drone and circle around a bit to make some videos. Then came Covid and the inflation after that and it didn’t happen. Now the building is gone …

Old 03-31-2024, 09:00 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I had planned on going to Detroit a few years ago to visit the Boblo Island boat terminal and the Packard Plant which is being demolished as well at the moment. Maybe take out the drone and circle around a bit to make some videos. Then came Covid and the inflation after that and it didn’t happen. Now the building is gone …
That's OK, you can always use an online AI to generate yourself some pictures of the now demolished structures.

Sort of like how you did with the "photos" you claimed to have taken of bicycle-riding hipsters coming back from shopping at the local Apple store on this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit