Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2024, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 67 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am doing a research and analysis project at school that will lead to a proposal for a new method/system/solution for affordable housing. If you are/were a resident of Detroit, or even just visit frequently, I would appreciate it if you could help me with some insight into the following questions. Even answering just one will help! Thank you!

1. Can you describe your current housing situation in Detroit? Are you renting, or owning your home, or are you currently experiencing homelessness?
2. How would you define "affordable housing" in the context of Detroit?
3. What are some of the biggest challenges you or others face in finding affordable housing in Detroit?
4. Have you experienced any discrimination or barriers in accessing affordable housing in Detroit? If so, could you elaborate?
5. What role do you think the government should play in addressing the affordable housing crisis in Detroit?
6. Are there any community organizations or advocacy groups in Detroit that you believe are making a difference in promoting affordable housing? If so, which ones and how?
7. Have you personally been involved in any advocacy efforts related to affordable housing in Detroit? If yes, could you share your experience?
8. What do you think are some effective solutions for increasing the availability of affordable housing in Detroit?
9. How do you think gentrification is affecting the availability of affordable housing in Detroit, if at all?
10. Are there any specific neighborhoods or areas in Detroit where the need for affordable housing is particularly acute?
11. In your opinion, what are the key factors contributing to the lack of affordable housing in Detroit?
12. How do you think the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the issue of affordable housing in Detroit?
13. Are there any innovative approaches or programs related to affordable housing in other cities that you believe could be replicated in Detroit?
14. What do you think are the most important steps that individuals, communities, and policymakers can take to address the affordable housing crisis in Detroit?
15. Do you have any personal stories or experiences related to affordable housing in Detroit that you would be willing to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 09:04 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Good luck on the research survey on an important topic.

Gathering public input is important but can be difficult. If you haven't already, it would probably be wise to check the literature for hints to help with this and future efforts. It can be hard or very hard, so don't take it personal but also don't give up.

Options could include going to a supermarket or library and trying to do in person interviews or perhaps having the survey (and pens) available with a drop box (with permission). Or go to a church, a community group or even a local government meeting. Or possibly phone survey.

Might consider cutting survey in half, outright or as a comparative test.

Check off boxes might not be enough but could be considered to aid speed. Further detail could be solicited at the final part of the page.

If efforts in general community are too daunting or not successful, you could target fellow students and / or parents and / or teachers & staff.

I am not from Detroit so I don't really qualify to respond to the survey but I'll share a few answers anyway:

Q1. I have been briefly "homeless" on a couple of occasions in earlier times in new cities but managed.

4. Have you experienced any discrimination or barriers in accessing affordable housing in Detroit? If so, could you elaborate? Age was probably a factor why some housing inquiries did not go forward.

5. What role do you think the government should play in addressing the affordable housing crisis in Detroit?

I favor rental assistance for many direct or indirect, over high spending for subsidized purchases in a few fortunate cases.

7. Have you personally been involved in any advocacy efforts related to affordable housing in Detroit? If yes, could you share your experience?

I have repeatedly contacted local officials in favor of multi-family housing project funding & siting and for zoning or allowances for tiny homes.

8. What do you think are some effective solutions for increasing the availability of affordable housing in Detroit? Probably tax credits or zoning favors in exchange for affordable housing units in large complexes and more allowances for auxiliary dwelling units (new or retrofit at a minimal, possibly below current code level for a ramp up period to "afford" the improvements). Possibly real estate transfer taxes to fund affordable housing projects.

11. In your opinion, what are the key factors contributing to the lack of affordable housing in Detroit? I don't know how much of a factor they are in Detroit but massive buying by institutional investors and rent increases thru supply power and over-conversion of long term housing units to air bnbs are big issues many places.

13. Are there any innovative approaches or programs related to affordable housing in other cities that you believe could be replicated in Detroit? Very small, bare minimum, stand alone units in LA and other places seem worth trying more places to me.

14. What do you think are the most important steps that individuals, communities, and policymakers can take to address the affordable housing crisis in Detroit? Ask / demand city councils and city managers/ department heads to provide updates on actual steps taken every 1-3 months and concrete statement of whatcwill be done in next 1-3 months.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-20-2024 at 10:04 PM..

Old Today, 04:48 PM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Is there an affordable housing problem in Detroit? I would say there is an expensive housing problem in Detroit. There is a surplus of cheap homes, so much so that the City of Detroit was giving them away for $500 a piece for a while (maybe still). Of course, they needed some work to fix them up, probably $20-40,000 or so, but still very affordable. Most of the older homes have been abandoned because people want newer homes.

I would contend that Detroit never had a housing problem. Because of the prosperity of the auto industry and preceding industries, home ownership is much more common here than other cities, especially east coast cities where you see a lot of apartments and townhouses. Detroiters are always moving outward to bigger and better housing. If anything, there is a shortage of new homes on the fringes of Detroit. Even current Detroiters want to get out of the city.

Government is not and should not be involved. If you want housing, get a job and pay for it yourself. It is not that expensive, like NYC, Boston, California, etc. Most housing in the Midwest is pretty affordable with the going wages. And I am all for helping those with severe physical or mental disabilities, but the large majority of people feeding at the government (taxpayer) trough are just plain lazy.

(Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I was banned.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: