Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 29,620 times

Advertisements

Quite the contrary, the blight is the cliché Disney Detroit, it exists in the same way whether it's in St. Louis, Baltimore, Skidrow, New Jersey, etc. All it tells you is this country likes to segregate and the fed supported it. It exists everywhere even in not so obvious blight forms in the western US. Poverty and institutionalized racism is near you all over.

If you actually explored you would find Detroit's historic neighborhoods to be very different as they contain some of the best architecture in the country (they didn't call it Paris of the west for nothing), parks like Belle Isle offer views way more spectacular than Toledo's muddy river, you didn't even go to the art institute which is one of the greatest museums in the country. You're not a local so I don't think you get to say what experiencing Detroit really means, it's like when I go to California I just visit the Salton Sea or some forest fire destroyed city in the Bay Area and claim that as the true Californian experience, utter nonsense.

Next trip you should spend more time in the core, see places like Hamtramck, go to places like Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, downtown Pontiac, the lakes areas, etc. Not some far-flung nowhere suburb like Canton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsettler View Post
Quite the contrary, the blight is the cliché Disney Detroit, it exists in the same way whether it's in St. Louis, Baltimore, Skidrow, New Jersey, etc. All it tells you is this country likes to segregate and the fed supported it. It exists everywhere even in not so obvious blight forms in the western US. Poverty and institutionalized racism is near you all over.

If you actually explored you would find Detroit's historic neighborhoods to be very different as they contain some of the best architecture in the country (they didn't call it Paris of the west for nothing), parks like Belle Isle offer views way more spectacular than Toledo's muddy river, you didn't even go to the art institute which is one of the greatest museums in the country. You're not a local so I don't think you get to say what experiencing Detroit really means, it's like when I go to California I just visit the Salton Sea or some forest fire destroyed city in the Bay Area and claim that as the true Californian experience, utter nonsense.

Next trip you should spend more time in the core, see places like Hamtramck, go to places like Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, downtown Pontiac, the lakes areas, etc. Not some far-flung nowhere suburb like Canton.
LOL, the only reason we were in Canton at all was for a cheap hotel semi-near the airport.

However, "points" taken.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Sounds like an interesting way of taking a trip. However, why do you feel the need to show people in Detroit, in Michigan as a whole, what our blighted areas look like? Who do you think is looking at your photos?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL, the only reason we were in Canton at all was for a cheap hotel semi-near the airport.

However, "points" taken.
Thanks for coming. There are many photos of beautiful and historic areas of Detroit in this thread. Your photos are also representative of Detroit and I am glad you visited these areas and shared these pics. The fact is, this city, of which I am a resident, has declined far more than any other in America, and I don't mind if the photos of the city show that reality. So many times people have come on this forum saying they had a nice visit in downtown or midtown, but those areas only make up 5% of the city, and those visitors usually don't have clue of the scale of the abandonment and blight of Detroit.

I sincerely hope that you come back to our fair city and visit all of the decent number of unique cultural attractions in the area like Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Museum of African-American History, Eastern Market, the Arab-American Museum, and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Sounds like an interesting way of taking a trip. However, why do you feel the need to show people in Detroit, in Michigan as a whole, what our blighted areas look like? Who do you think is looking at your photos?
The whole world who has access to the internet. It's not only Michiganders who look at this forum. Remember this website sells itself as "RELOCATION" website.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
No kidding...it's accessible to everyone? Gee whiz. But likely that it's primarily Michiganders looking at this forum. Also people who are considering a move here, certainly. I moved here from out-of-state originally, and already knew about the blight. Fortunately I had also seen a lot of beautiful, memorable places. This was before the internet was big, so fortunately I didn't have to see as many of the images whenever I looked for info on the Detroit area. Everyone knows about the blight! If there were no attempts being made to remedy it, the photos would be more relevant at this point.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Many do. Just type in 'urban exploration' in youtube and there are many videos with tons of views. The trip that David Aguilar made is exactly what I would like to do. To get to experience the energy of Detroit's current revival, to admire it's beautiful art deco buildings, but also to do some urban exploration: I would like to go see the Packard Plant, the Fisher Plant, the Boblo Island boat terminal, etc and also make a trip to Flint.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 7,596 times
Lol. Why when people ask for DETROIT pics a lot of people will jump to post pics of Beautiful DOWNTOWN? ...(any attempt to SUGARCOAT the TRUTH a about what the WHOLE city looks like. ...I do APPLAUD those who showed videos or pics about what DETROIT really looks like) ...the SHAMD lies on politicians who POCKET money or dump the money into DOWNTOWN ONLY. ...the truth in what DETROIT looks like should NOT be hidden or Sugar-coated. .. how else will Detroit committees and politicians be Shamed into getting off their BUTTS and doing something about it?

Old 01-10-2021, 12:21 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
As someone who was born in Detroit and lived my life there (Cerveny/Cooley High, Mark Twain Street) until the military and back again to go to college and working for a time (but lived in a suburb) and then left, to return for three years before leaving for good.

There are a lot of old memories in the photos shown, some actually bring back some good memories, some not so much.

But, they are memories and that is all they are, and I will never return and happy not too.

However, thanks to all who posted....

Old 11-30-2021, 05:48 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Before the fall. Wow. Thank you very much for sharing. Stunning pictures.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit