Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times

Advertisements

Are you black? If you want a city with more racial tolerance than you may want to look at Harper Woods. I know the census says 85% white, but it has changed dramtically since 2000. My fiance is half black and I'm white and we have found the neighborhood very accepting of anybody. Besides, Harper Woods is a nicer looking community than Hazel Park and if you live east of 94 you'll be in Grosse Pointe schools. Eastland mall is bad but you're a short drive up 94 to Macomb Mall which is slightly better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
No I'm not black actually.

Milton is 4 streets of 8 Mile I believe....Muir, George, Hayes, Milton. The houses I've been looking at are on Elza, Granet, Meyers, and Harry which are a little bit further off 8 Mile....although Elza is two streets from Milton.

Harper Woods has some decent rentals I'm sure, but my main concern is commute to work. I work in Canton and I love my job. My interest in Hazel Park is because of the amount of house you can get for the money....and my main problem with it is the 30 mile/30 minute drive to work. And I work 6 days a week. Harper Woods is even further than Hazel Park. If I could find a rental in Westland or Garden City like those I can find in Hazel Park, I would be there in a second.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,646 times
I have a house in Hazel Park (I rent it out currently as I moved out of state, but I lived there for 2 years). It was a nice little town, close to Ferndale/Royal Oak but much more inexpensive. We had no issues with safety, but we lived in a newer block (a developer built new houses in one particular block west of John R and north of 9 mile). That little Thai place is awesome at 10 and John R and I miss it

Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 122,196 times
Hazel Park isn't very nice or safe, especially off 8 Mile. This is why you are seeing such good "deals". You will need an alarm system if you live just off 8 Miles. Lots of break-ins.

Move north of I-696. Much safer, and nicer neighborhoods.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford101 View Post
Hazel Park isn't very nice or safe, especially off 8 Mile. This is why you are seeing such good "deals". You will need an alarm system if you live just off 8 Miles. Lots of break-ins.

Move north of I-696. Much safer, and nicer neighborhoods.

Interesting you say this since Hazel Park's crime rate is right at the national average. Sounds like the typical 8 Mile syndrome. If it's near 8 Mile it must be bad. I would bet you money you'd be the first to say Gaylord is safer than Hazel Park when in fact Gaylord has a higher crime rate in almost every statistical category than Hazel Park. It ranks very similarly to Madison Heights which is along 696 *Gasp*

Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
Crime reports can't be taken too seriously either. Mackinac Island has a HUGE (and my huge I mean in the 5 or 600s) rate due to the amount of seasonal traffic (population 500 swells to 10,000 on some busy summer days in the tourist season) and it totally skews their crime rates because it's still based off a 500 population. Hazel Park's crime is higher than Garden City near me and about even with the city I'm in now (Dearborn Heights...another *gasp* Detroit border community).

And scolls, I thought of you today driving through Harper Woods on the way home from my friend's house in Clinton Twp.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM

13 posts, read 44,133 times
I am also looking for the house in Madison Height, and Hazel Park.
My realtor inform me that between 8-9 miles is rough. Above 9 miles in Hazel park is probably better than below 11 miles in Madison Height. So, you probably wanna look above 9 miles.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,268 times
Hazel Park is a very beautiful community, especially if you prefer to live in a city that's mostly fabricated by industry and small business. The city boasts eight parks, an ice arena, a racetrack, and plenty of churches.

Hazel Park is a safe community, especially relative to the ones that surround it. In the past 10 years, there have been two murders. It sounds like alot, but compare it to the two that Royal Oak's had, the five that Ferndale has had, and the 1,600+ Detroit has had. The only actual crime problem in the city is burglary. If you live in the city for more than 30 years, it's more than likely your house will have been broken into. Besides burglary, it is very safe anyway.

Hazel Park's best characteristic is it's diversity; both in ethnicity and wealth. Since the 1990s, Hazel Park's population has shifted quite a bit. The bland 'American White' population has partially dissolved, and the city has been very accepting to foreign-born people, most notably Albanians, Italians, Polish, and even a small Arabic population.

Hazel Park's wealth diversity is best characterized by it's homes. Homes being sold in proper condition and repair can go anywhere from $30,000 to $250,000. Many of the homes are small two-story bungalows, although the second story is actually inhabited in the roof.

Other homes range from smaller bungalows to even mansions. For example, near the 9 Mile/Dequindre intersection is a series of streets referred to by the city as the 'Urban Renewal Project', and by the citizens as 'The Courts'. This area is mostly made up of much larger, more suburban homes; including two very large manors. Between 9 Mile and Woodward Heights (9/12 mi.); there are plenty of larger homes, even including a few which are masoned in stones, rather than having brick or siding.

The neighborhood north of Woodward Heights and west of John R. Road is undoubtedly the most wealthy. Most of the neighborhood is composed of ranch-style homes and single family 2-story houses.

If detached living isn't your lifestyle though, Hazel Park, being the third most densely populated city in Michigan; is also home to many condominiums. Recently, a block of luxury condos were built near the Viking Ice Arena and Hazel Park Bowling Alley. The derby square apartments are located about a block across the street. Other apartment buildings include the Brickley House on Brickley St. and John R. and a rather large mid-rise apartment block on Woodward Heights. If these can't fit your budget, however, lower-rent apartments are available in Hazel Park's downtown area's Hazelwood Lofts.

The city is home to plenty of small businesses that make up the bigger picture. The Hazel Park Food Center (John R. & Coy), Continental Bike Shop (John R. & Anderson Ct.), Mauro's Miniature Golf (9 Mile, near Highland St.) and Kyle's Coin Laundry (9 Mile & Tawas) are just a few of the more popular establishments. Restaurants include Townside Grill (9 Mile & Vassar), Country Boy (9 Mile & Davey), Red House Chinese (9 Mile, somewhere between Cayuga and Tawas), Doug's Delight Ice Cream (John R. & Annabelle), and Nick's Pizza (I-75 & John R.). Every establishment is individually owned and operated.

Alot of people don't realize the beauty of the City of Hazel Park. Whether you're looking for a small apartment or a large, stone mansion; there's plenty of accommodation to be had in the city. It is a very tight-knit middle class community where people pride in creating positive curb appeal and neighborly presence. Crime is less than the national average, and the Hazel Park Police Department is one of the city's shining achievements. Overall, most people don't realize how much of a great place Hazel Park is to live.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 546 times
If you plan on living in this city be prepared to be screwed over for absolutely everything I have no respect what so ever from the city I have been assaulted by police and bounty hunters more than three times in last two years over me no letting them search my house for someone who used to live at my house in over 6 years and I called 911 3 different times because I woke up with bounty hunters in my house in my basement and called 911 before I told them to leave my house they didn't have a warrant and when I told them to leave while on phone with 911 i tackled from top of my stairs To the bottom after just being out of work for accident that took 4 months to recover from I even called police station to inform them the person didn't live here so they wouldn't come to my house again they came to my house 4 times since then for same reason and Hazelpark cops came and let him go 3 different times all three times the police it was confirmed the person they were looking for hasn't live at this address or been to this address since they moved and cops covered it up then I was theaten that they would take my kids if I said anything about it then all of sudden cps is at my house for the police and bounty hunters assaulting me my kids no longer can my kids play with any of neibors kids because of police kicking my door in for someone who hasn't lived at my address and I've been harassed and pulled in over and fined a bunch of money and they still have been harassed and since this happen I got my first ticket ever for texting at stop sign and I had no proof of insurance on me at time and they gave me 650 in fines just days after I told them they can't search my house and put a hold on my cars plate and and I can't drive my vehicle or go to work or anything until I pay 6 months of car insurance pre paid to state of Michigan I lived in this city for 30 plus years and just from this city's police has made me want to commit suicide on multiple accacions Because I don't want to deal with there harassment no more this city isn't were you want to lay down roots I can't wait to for this city to get caught for there corruption. No one should feel like this especially someone who follows all rules and never gets in trouble they will try to cover there tracks and put you through the ringer to keep you from filing any paperwork against them worst I hate this city and I hope justice is serverd and they go down for all there corruption.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:05 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn burnette View Post
If you plan on living in this city be prepared to be screwed over for absolutely everything I have no respect what so ever from the city I have been assaulted by police and bounty hunters more than three times in last two years over me no letting them search my house for someone who used to live at my house in over 6 years and I called 911 3 different times because I woke up with bounty hunters in my house in my basement and called 911 before I told them to leave my house they didn't have a warrant and when I told them to leave while on phone with 911 i tackled from top of my stairs To the bottom after just being out of work for accident that took 4 months to recover from I even called police station to inform them the person didn't live here so they wouldn't come to my house again they came to my house 4 times since then for same reason and Hazelpark cops came and let him go 3 different times all three times the police it was confirmed the person they were looking for hasn't live at this address or been to this address since they moved and cops covered it up then I was theaten that they would take my kids if I said anything about it then all of sudden cps is at my house for the police and bounty hunters assaulting me my kids no longer can my kids play with any of neibors kids because of police kicking my door in for someone who hasn't lived at my address and I've been harassed and pulled in over and fined a bunch of money and they still have been harassed and since this happen I got my first ticket ever for texting at stop sign and I had no proof of insurance on me at time and they gave me 650 in fines just days after I told them they can't search my house and put a hold on my cars plate and and I can't drive my vehicle or go to work or anything until I pay 6 months of car insurance pre paid to state of Michigan I lived in this city for 30 plus years and just from this city's police has made me want to commit suicide on multiple accacions Because I don't want to deal with there harassment no more this city isn't were you want to lay down roots I can't wait to for this city to get caught for there corruption. No one should feel like this especially someone who follows all rules and never gets in trouble they will try to cover there tracks and put you through the ringer to keep you from filing any paperwork against them worst I hate this city and I hope justice is serverd and they go down for all there corruption.
You registered just to resurrect a 12-year-old thread and go on a semi-intelligible rant? Someone's got way too much free time on their hands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit