Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times

Advertisements

Just saw a report on the news this morning (Good Morning America) that gastric bypass CAN reverse diabetes type II in morbidly overweight people. It is now the recommended treatment for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
I haven't taken anything for diabetes since my surgery last September 1st and my last two A1Cs have been 5.7. I would say I'm a huge GB surgery cheerleader, but I'm nearly half the person I used to be (literally), so I guess I'm a cheerleader that is no longer huge..

However, it is not a magic pill and it still takes work. I think of it as more of a tool to help get you where you need to be, but you still have to work. Many people I've talked to know someone that had the surgery and it just didn't work and I've listened to people talk about what they still consume and I know why they are failing. Seems many try to get all the "quality" they can from the tiny bits of food they can consume and all it does is concentrate the calories and they stay at the same weight. I went overboard, like I do with most things, and actually got down to a normal weight for my height (6'2" and 183 pounds); the doctor's goal was to lose 80% of my exess weight. However, that involved a lot of exercise and following the diet recommendations of the doctors and nutritionists. Now I'm trying to balance things out and stay where I am as far as weight, but it's hard to break those good habits.. Luckily I have my wife constantly checking up on me and making sure I'm not losing any more weight.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 17,276 times
wow!! great job!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Just saw a report on the news this morning (Good Morning America) that gastric bypass CAN reverse diabetes type II in morbidly overweight people. It is now the recommended treatment for these people.
I had my gastric bypass "Roux-en-Y" procedure on Dec. 20th, 2010.

As of Wednesday, two days ago, this is the news:
According to my endocrinologist, the director of the University of Pennsylvania (Rodebaugh) Diabetes Center, my type-2 diabetes is now officially in "remission." I am now off all diabetes medications.

I do not consider myself "cured" of diabetes and I will test my blood sugars using a glucometer once or twice a day; I will also continue to watch my intake of carbohydrates. As long as I keep my weight off I think I will be fine. My morning "numbers" have been running between 75 and 95, which is a wee bit on the low side. The difference between "remission" and "cured" is that I recognize that if I eat my way back into obesity my diabetes can and will return.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
I had a gastric bypass about 7 months ago and it didn't really help my Type II diabetes. My pancreas is dead and not coming back. I only eat meat/veggies and I've lost 80 lbs but I still need some insulin. Maybe not as much but still need it.

That's great, just don't do like my wife's friend who over five years re-stretched herself by repeatedly eating more and more food until she started gaining wait again.

busta

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM

240 posts, read 586,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Great success story keep up the healthy lifestyle.
My own road to diabetes was kind of a surprise as i live a healthy life style and my job was brutally physical, but alas i was diagnoased with type2 when i was 50, i'm now 63 and retired at 60, since retirement the lack of physical activity has me 50lbs heavier than my working weight and blood sugar levels are high,problem is even though i eat healthy foods i'm eating too much healthy food and along with the sedentary lifestyle comes the weight gain.Lifestyle change in order!!! so far i've given up smoking (10 months now) gave up the nightly 6 pack of beer, joined a gym (2hrs a day)work at several volunteer locations and in the last few months got serious about my diet which for the most part is returning to the right portion size,eating more fruit and vegtables and lean protien,less bread and dairy products and carbs in general,,never had a problem with fast food and cant remember the last time i went to one of those places.Lets hope this does some good..
We're on the same boat at one time I worked so hard 12-16 hours a day that I'm sure I had no problem burning about 5,000 calories a day. Then I went to very little work and when I got to a 70 pound gain with 480 cholesteral and 1800 tryglicerides then something had to be done. I knew the lab tech and he said it was pretty scary to centrifuge the blood for the tryglycerides and end up with a test tube nearly full of fat. The doctor told me he had never seen a reading that high.

I was having chest pains, or rather it felt like a weight on my chest sort of. I went to a doctor and he sent me to a lab and got the above results. He informed me I had 3 choices 1) I could keep going the way I am and not live very long (this was nearly 20 years ago) 2) I could take a lot of pills and live quite a while longer (about a $100.00 a month in pills at that time). 3) I could lose a lot of weight and take very few pills and live a long time. I opted for #3.

It was very fortunate I did because 10 years after that I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so, having already lost about 50 pounds by that time half the battle with diabetes was already won but I got busy and lost another20 pounds. I still take meds for all of it but not many.

Of course I was in that vast number of people who could say it was not my fault but rather it was something I couldn't do anything about because it was inherited because I have so many fat relatives. I convinced myself it was just glandular in other words.

One day I was watching one of those shows about where war prisoners were being released after years of imprisonment (they were just skeletons) and I suddenly realized that I was fooling myself.

I suddenly thought that if all my relatives were in that bunch, and me to, I'll bet that not one of us would be coming out fat. That was when it struck me I was in denial and my weight loss program started the next day. It took a long time and I didn't set out to lose 10 pounds a week but was totally happy with one pound a week and once I had lost a lot of weight I was happy with one pound a month. By trying to lose that one pound a month though I had to eat like I wanted lose weight so I never did only lose only 1 pound in a month after about 50 pounds I just sort of coasted but the diabetes got me going again.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I need to update the info I posted previously. I am now down 100 lbs and off insulin. I take Janumet 2xday and that's it.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Wonderful stories! Keep in up

Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,991 times
Quote:
I need to update the info I posted previously. I am now down 100 lbs and off insulin. I take Janumet 2xday and that's it.
Good for you. I have just started Billy Blake's Cardio Inferno, and I am totally sweating and tired after I do 50 mins of intense cardio that's non stop. I decided to change up my cardio because my best friend who is the same age as me, and has a body of a 24 year old lost two pants sizes just by trying out kick boxing at his gym. I look good in my clothes, but I still have some belly fat, and I want to burn it away as much as I can.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Good for you. I have just started Billy Blake's Cardio Inferno, and I am totally sweating and tired after I do 50 mins of intense cardio that's non stop. I decided to change up my cardio because my best friend who is the same age as me, and has a body of a 24 year old lost two pants sizes just by trying out kick boxing at his gym. I look good in my clothes, but I still have some belly fat, and I want to burn it away as much as I can.
Even after losing something like 65 pounds and going from a size 40 waist down to a size 34 waist, much to my chagrin I still have a little belly fat. I have discovered a gastric bypass procedure may make you lose weight but is does not give you instant "6 - Pack Abs" !!!!!

More importantly, my diabetes is officially in "remission" and I am off all - and I mean ALL - diabetes meds. Still check my blood sugars with a glucometer one or two times a day, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes