Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times

Advertisements

Does cutting your carbs when your pre-diabetic help at all~? How~? What foods should you stay away from~? Is it difficult to stay away from those foods if you also have hypothyroidism and have foods to stay away from that condition~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
I've been insulin resistant for years, and have not yet flipped over into diabetes. The foods that are worst for your blood sugar are sugars (table sugar, honey, sweet fruits), flour (especially white flour, but all breads, bagels, cookies, cakes), rice, and potatoes.

Try eating a protein and veggies (other than potatoes) for a meal, and berries for that sweet tooth. If you can tolerate artificial sweeteners, you can use those in moderation, but stop them if you find that they make you crave sugar too much.

Also remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you decide to eat something that is "bad", shrug it off and go back to your plan. You will feel better; your blood sugar will be more stable.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
also have hypothyroidism
Google

Dr. Bernstein

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Quote:
Does cutting your carbs when your pre-diabetic help at all~? How~? What foods should you stay away from~? Is it difficult to stay away from those foods if you also have hypothyroidism and have foods to stay away from that condition~?

I have hypothyroidism and was given medication ( one pill in am, no food for half hour) but never told anything about what foods to stay away from due to the hypothyroidsm. What food do you have to stay away from for that? did your doctor tell you this?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Thank you

I rarely allow myself any bread, starchy foods. My snacks are usually only no sugar snacks and I gave up diet soda. Yes I know diet soda has no carbs or sugar but I swear it makes me gain weight. I only have a set back now and then when I run out of ideas for what to eat and am sick of meat, fish, and all the chicken I eat. Once in a rare while I will allow myself a slice of pizza but that's only when I know I'm going to be busy all day and working it off to get my numbers down. Now I understand more why I have to take my hypothyroid pill without food at least a half our before eating or taking any other medication. I'm still unlcear about not taking calcium? I have to have that until I'm, I think it's, age 62. After menopause they say stop taking calcium supplements.

I'll read the terst of Dr. Bernstein later.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,670 times
Veggienut, I concur with your line of inquiry and encourage you to look into lo-carb.

The only thing (besides ideology) that seems to be a big hump for people who begin to lo-carb is the transition time to a more ketogenic metabolism. I switched right away after doing near-vegetarian, hi-carb, nearly-no-fat, in about a month's time and I thought I would die - sweats, brain fog, etc. I suspected I was becoming pre-diabetic even though I ate no sugar, only veg & fruit & juices, so I wanted to get it straightened out right away.

It actually took a year before my blood-sugar stabilized and I've stopped checking it since then. I feel great, better than ever.

Use a macronutrient ratio calculator to start making changes. Just so you know, my 'happy zone' is <100g carbs/day (not counting copious amounts of wine) and 100+g protein, everything else is fat, I've been doing this for years now so don't be afraid of numbers. I just don't advocate quick transitions.

EDIT: I don't have a Dr's diagnosis for diabetes or even pre-diabetes. I only have heard anecdotally many accounts of diabetes treated through lo-carb diet.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I've been insulin resistant for years, and have not yet flipped over into diabetes. The foods that are worst for your blood sugar are sugars (table sugar, honey, sweet fruits), flour (especially white flour, but all breads, bagels, cookies, cakes), rice, and potatoes.

Try eating a protein and veggies (other than potatoes) for a meal, and berries for that sweet tooth. If you can tolerate artificial sweeteners, you can use those in moderation, but stop them if you find that they make you crave sugar too much.

Also remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you decide to eat something that is "bad", shrug it off and go back to your plan. You will feel better; your blood sugar will be more stable.
I'm vegetarian and I don't eat meat, but do eat eggs, cheese and sometimes fish. I eat soy and with hyperthyroidism, your not suppose to eat soy. It wouldn't of been so bad if I had one issue, but all of this came up at the same time

Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
I'm vegetarian and I don't eat meat, but do eat eggs, cheese and sometimes fish. I eat soy and with hyperthyroidism, your not suppose to eat soy. It wouldn't of been so bad if I had one issue, but all of this came up at the same time
Eggs, cheese, and fish are all good sources of protein - especially eggs & fish. Too much cheese, and you might need a little extra fiber. Ovo-lacto-vegetarians can do just fine on a lower carb level. If you space out your soy servings, you can minimize the impact on your thyroid. Do you eat the soy "meats", or more tofu & tempeh?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Eggs, cheese, and fish are all good sources of protein - especially eggs & fish. Too much cheese, and you might need a little extra fiber. Ovo-lacto-vegetarians can do just fine on a lower carb level. If you space out your soy servings, you can minimize the impact on your thyroid. Do you eat the soy "meats", or more tofu & tempeh?
I don't eat tofu or tempeh that often, but a lot of products I do use have soy in them that I never realized. Eating less of carbs, I am hungry like now. I am petite and I need my carbs I have no idea how all of this came about both were at once. I did switch to Coke Zero, but I don't drink coke that often.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
You can add protein powder to foods. Www.unjury.com has whey isolate protein in a medical grade. I need it b/c I had a gastric bypass 18 months ago and I can't eat much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes