Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Full Fat Plain yogurt has no added sugar, only the lactose that is naturally contained. I eat plain whole milk yogurt (Greek is OK), sweetened with pure stevia and then you can add your berries. I use strawberries, blackberries or raspberries.
I was assuming if OP was looking for lunch on the go, buying plain yogurt and then flavoring it wouldn't be convenient.

I make my own yogurt and flavor it with Splenda and add berries (I know stevia is healthier but I can't get past the cardboard-box taste) but when I don't have time to make it, I buy light Greek yogurt because that's the closest I can get to my homemade yogurt without actually making it. The homemade tastes better than store-bought, but unfortunately all of my relatives have figured it out and ask for a jar when I make it, so it doesn't last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I was assuming if OP was looking for lunch on the go, buying plain yogurt and then flavoring it wouldn't be convenient.

I make my own yogurt and flavor it with Splenda and add berries (I know stevia is healthier but I can't get past the cardboard-box taste) but when I don't have time to make it, I buy light Greek yogurt because that's the closest I can get to my homemade yogurt without actually making it. The homemade tastes better than store-bought, but unfortunately all of my relatives have figured it out and ask for a jar when I make it, so it doesn't last long.
As for the Stevia being healthier it is what I read. It is supposed to be all natural, however we don't know what is involved in the process of extracting it from the plant. Pure stevia can be up to 300x sweeter than sugar (or so I hear). Again, it is the information we are given and don't know for sure that it is correct. The pure part of it is to buy it without additives or fillers such as maltodextrin which are common in store bought sweeteners. The Maltodextrin is used with sweeteners such as Splenda to make it measure the same as sugar. It also is known to raise blood sugar which I have not tested. I know the pure stevia does not raise my BG at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Old 07-03-2016, 03:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post

Morning Options
1.Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich from Starbucks and cofee
Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich | Starbucks Coffee Company

2. Oatmeal

Lunch Options
1. Two Kentucky Grilled Breast and Green beans & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry
2. Tuna on whole wheat bread & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry
3. Something from Subway & & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry

Dinner Options
1. Some Grilled (fish, chicken, not sure) and veggies and fruit

Any other options to get me out of the Prediabetic range and lower cholesterol ?

Thank you in advance
If you stick to these options you wont have a problem maintaining good health, the hard part comes in with snacking which can upset your blood sugar levels, get a meter and check your Blood sugar levels often,you might also want to get a blood pressure monitor.writing everything you eat down on a program like "my fitness pal" is an excellent suggestion.
Bottom line? take it seriously as long term uncontrolled blood sugar/Blood pressure/cholesterol and weight issues can lead to some nasty consequences later in life.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I'm starting to be more careful with my diet since I need to lose a lot of weight and been eating too much junk. In particular my blood sugar levels.

I hear conflicting things about oatmeal online. Some links say it is a good food since it doesn't spike blood sugar levels. Yet, on other links, I read of people that ate oatmeal and it spiked their blood sugar levels like crazy.

Anyone out there with experience?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Your numbers look fine. Even the 5.7 on the A1C is just borderline. I dont recommend low carb AND low fat. It's a recipe for disaster. You will have no energy to do anything if you follow that diet. You need either carbs or fats to provide fuel. You can do healthy fats like fish, avocado, eggs, nuts, olive oil and some dairy. The only slightly high number is the total cholesterol. I wish I had numbers like that on lipids. I am a full diabetic and I do low carb/high fat. In general, stay away from low/non fat products, they are just not good for you in any way. Read the labels to compare the carbs in the low fat vs the full fat. You are not there yet and you can reverse it if you wish. Cut down on total carb intake. Sugar and Flour are the number one culprits. The other whites could be as well, Rice, Potatoes and Corn. Again if you watch your diet you should be fine.

A1C Test for Diabetes: Normal Range, Accuracy, & More

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Oh pppleaseeeeee.... OP HAS NO CHOICE but to go onto low carb diet and OP will NOT have no energy and all that bull. I am living example - I am on low carb, like LOW and am at the gym every other 5 am lifting heavy weights and doing floor orders at the hospital.
PPPleeaaseee... Don't.
OP, you should lower your glucose. Buy yourself a meter, not expensive, and do your owm readings ever so often. 117 is rather too close to 120, though A1C is you better guideline thoug that is "close" too. That's big warning light. Trust me - I have been working with diebetics for over 20 years, you do NOT want to go that route.
So, this is what you do.
1. https://archive.org/details/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala

This IS your diabetic diet guide. Period. Listen to no one else.

2. Diebetis is 100% preventable disease. With proper diet AND EXERCISE. As in - EXERCISE. Every day, at least 30 or so minutes of VERY vigorous exercise. Simply burn out that glucose. Works great. MOF, I have a patient that officially her DM Dx striken off her chart just because of this method.

Best. it's very doable. Or, you will turn into vegetating turd with wounds all over and shot mind. Remeber - 64% of patients in my business comes from diabetics, them leading way with amputations. Not even trying to scare you - harsh reality.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
I think these points were covered by another poster, but I'll re-iterate:

Keep starches to a tiny minimum, and that includes bread. When you shop for bread, read the carb count on the package. Go for the lowest-carb bread you can find. You can subtract the fiber count from the carbs, so if one slice is, say, 15 carb grams with 2 grams of fiber, the effective carb count is 13 g per slice. You can have one slice with your tuna or burger, not two.

Fruits--out. Except for a few berries with some plain greek yogurt, possibly, or a couple of apple slices with cheese, as a snack. Flavored yogurts are out, especially in combination with another carby item, like a slice of bread.

I agree with the others that one can't do, shouldn't do, a low-carb diet combined with a low fat diet. That doesn't mean you can go wild with fat, like some of those diets allow, but it would be too difficult/stressful, and unnecessary, to go low-fat. For getting blood sugar under control, check out the book "Protein Power", by a husband/wife MD team. It's only a couple of $$ on Amazon, and goes into tremendous scientific detail, so you can understand the principles at work in a low-carb diet, how fats work, etc. etc.

As you probably know, no potatoes, corn, or refined grains. A small amt. of brown rice with a meal is ok, if the meal has no other carbs.

OP, learn to enjoy salads! You can get creative with a green salad, by adding a variety of greens, sliced/chopped red cabbage, tomato and cucumber, all of which don't affect your carb count. You can add a sprinkling of brown rice if you want, or some avocado for a little bit of carb. I make a big salad with a variety of colors and textures as my dinner treat every night.

Also: be careful about using artificial sweeteners, if any. Some of them, though 0 carb/sugar, cause an insulin response! Learn to enjoy milk or cream with your tea/coffee, instead of a sweetener.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I don't believe fruits and carbs are completely out. The best way to figure out if you are eating right is to measure and track your blood sugar every day. Instead of breakfast sandwiches eat oatmeal preferably steel cut. Get Oikos triple zero yogurt it has no added sugar and is sweetened with stevia. Whole grain pasta is better than anything white. Reduce or eliminate white foods.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
You have to check your blood sugar before and after meals. Get a glucometer to do this.

My glucometer shows elevated blood sugar when I eat oatmeal, yogurt, whole wheat bread, and fruit, which are on your menu, so I'd cut those and find alternatives for those nutrients. Your miles may vary, but ask your glucometer for its opinion.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
After the low carb doesn't work for you, start eating a diet that is a wide variety of almost all whole food, unrefined, and plant based (basically, vegetables, including starchy ones like yams; legumes; whole grains, including oatmeal; fruits; and nuts). Ditch almost all animal products and pretty much everything that is refined and not a whole food.

Then, watch as all of your blood profiles improve, your weight drops, and you no longer have to worry about diabetes, all while eating as much as you want.

And, yes, exercise.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 11-18-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes