Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:23 PM

465 posts, read 418,323 times

Advertisements

My A1C test results were high, 6.7. Doing my own research, I found that prediabetes is 5.7 to 6.4 percent. The doctor advised me to go on a low carb diet which I have done. The first couple of days have been tough but I do feel better. Also, I've had a rash that covers a large part of my back and legs for decades now. Since the day that I started this diet the rash has cleared up. Amazing! In an effort to see more improvements, I would like to do know your carbs per day. I see diet recommendations of 100-150 grams a day What is your recommendation?

Finally, what concerns me the most is exercise. For decades I have been running over 25 miles a week which easily meets the government cardio recommendations. Should I do less or more cardio? Lift weights more? I am sort of confused because I do so much already.

Last edited by Where2now22; 12-11-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I sent you a PM.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
My A1C test results were high, 6.7.

In an effort to see more improvements, I would like to do know your carbs per day. I see diet recommendations of 100-150 grams a day What is your recommendation?
I'm diet controlled, don't take insulin. I keep each meal around 15-20 grams, plus a few low-carb snacks, which keeps me well under 100 grams per day. My A1c stays around 6 that way, with my weight at 115-120 pounds.

You should get a glucometer and test your blood sugars after each meal though, as your miles may vary.

Exercise has never affected my blood sugar much.

Results - A1C test - Mayo Clinic

Old 12-11-2016, 11:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm diet controlled, don't take insulin. I keep each meal around 15-20 grams, plus a few low-carb snacks, which keeps me well under 100 grams per day. My A1c stays around 6 that way, with my weight at 115-120 pounds.

You should get a glucometer and test your blood sugars after each meal though, as your miles may vary.

Exercise has never affected my blood sugar much.

Results - A1C test - Mayo Clinic
This, OP. Or 30 grams/meal if you don't have carbs in your snacks.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:17 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
I am diet-controlled as well and try to keep my carbs under 30 for meals or under 100 for the day. What gave me the biggest result was severely limiting bread from the get-go. There will be occasional low-carb buns for burgers, and I may sometimes eat half of one, but often I skip it. If we're eating out and bread is brought to the table, we ask them to take it away. Of course there are other foods you should avoid as well, but this is something that worked well for me.

As for exercise, I have been told that 30 minutes per day of continuous exercise is the recommended amount for diabetics. It sounds like you're already good with that.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I am on meds and low carb and try to keep my BG as low as possible. Last A1C was 5.1. I would like to get it into the 4's. I would like to see if I can reverse some nerve damage that was a result of having high BG for years before I was diagnosed. I have read that several years of normalized BG would regenerate lost nerves. I have neourpathy in my feet, hardly any hair on my legs. The damage has been done, just trying to improve. Time will tell.

What You Can Expect from Virtually Normal Blood Sugars - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
My A1C test results were high, 6.7. Doing my own research, I found that prediabetes is 5.7 to 6.4 percent. The doctor advised me to go on a low carb diet which I have done. The first couple of days have been tough but I do feel better. Also, I've had a rash that covers a large part of my back and legs for decades now. Since the day that I started this diet the rash has cleared up. Amazing! In an effort to see more improvements, I would like to do know your carbs per day. I see diet recommendations of 100-150 grams a day What is your recommendation?

Finally, what concerns me the most is exercise. For decades I have been running over 25 miles a week which easily meets the government cardio recommendations. Should I do less or more cardio? Lift weights more? I am sort of confused because I do so much already.
See a DIETITIAN for diet ideas. Endos usually have one in the office. Did you know you were prediabetic before the new Dx? What have your numbers been? Do you have a meter? Walmart has the CHEAPEST if your insurance wont pay for some reason.

You can be a fit diabetic. Not everyone is fat and old.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 AM

465 posts, read 418,323 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
See a DIETITIAN for diet ideas. Endos usually have one in the office. Did you know you were prediabetic before the new Dx? What have your numbers been? Do you have a meter? Walmart has the CHEAPEST if your insurance wont pay for some reason.

You can be a fit diabetic. Not everyone is fat and old.
Over the years my blood glucose test was under 200 mg/dL, my range was 170-180. This is the first time my sugar levels was over the limit. I do not have a meter but I will look into those strips.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If you don't have a glucometer, get one.

Your body can adapt very well to utilizing fat for energy. When you cut down on carbs and eat more fat, your body will gradually adapt to this change.

You just have to feel things out and watch your blood-sugar readings. If your blood-sugar readings are not coming down after a while, you are probably eating too many carbs and/or protein, and not enough fat. Some people also have to watch their caloric intake very carefully, in order to normalize blood-sugar readings.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Over the years my blood glucose test was under 200 mg/dL, my range was 170-180. This is the first time my sugar levels was over the limit. I do not have a meter but I will look into those strips.
Meters are cheap and can usually had for free its the test strips that get expensive. keep a general record of blood sugar readings before meals then another reading 2 hours later.You'll be amazed how high that blood sugar can go with certain foods, try to avoid foods that have a high glycemic index.High GI Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes