Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I may get it done again in October. My blood sugar readings have been bizarre. Last night, I was pleased to get a 97 reading right after supper. I was expecting an even lower reading this morning since I had consumed nothing since then. My BS was 107! It went up instead.
107 is still good for the morning after. I often wake up with a reading around 110 to 120 and am very well controlled. This is called the Dawn Phenomenon and I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as your A1C is low you are fine. Many diabetics struggle with this and the only effective way to control it would be with insulin. Even if you eat very light the night before or skip dinner entirely this may happen. The only way I have heard to control it would be with insulin. I have even taken my medications before bed and still wake up a bit high.

You could try some of the suggestions in this article.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/learn-...wn-phenomenon/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironplanch View Post
LOL. Most people who are not diabetic or on keto diets don't know It's dangerous. When I read that I almost had a heart attack too

Most of us grew up seeing tv ads that told us orange juice is very healthy and high in vitamin c. They never said anything about moderation.

After my mother was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, her doctor gave her some diet brochure by the American Diabetes Association and I read it because I knew she wouldn't read it. I was in shock because she was eating way too many oats. I think she could only eat 1/3 of a cup(cooked). She was eating like 3 or 4 times that amount and on top of that she would add sweetened yogurt.

It's hard to convince that some food is bad or that it needs to be eaten in moderation when they are reading everywhere that oatmeal is a miracle food that lowers cholesterol or that yogurt helps you stay lean. Thank God she changed her breakfast... Eventually when she felt like doing it.
It's pathetic the sugars in those boxes of O,J. sweet great O.J. My sister lived on those boxes and all that sugar did not help the MS she dealt with, sadly she died last year at 68...lost her battle.

But some fresh oranges and eat one now and then and take a Vit C supplement daily, better than a large box of O.J.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:19 AM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The new fad is to diagnose "prediabetes"-- makes as much sense as diagnosing "pre-pregnancy." The fad came about because academic docs are stuck with the publish-or-perish mentality.
The cut-off points for diagnosing diabetes are chosen because they represent the numbers at which treatment becomes a consideration.

In reality, blood sugar readings (and the A1C) will fall on a continuum from obviously normal to obviously abnormal. There is a transition zone between those two, and that is what is referred to as "prediabetes". It is worthwhile for the doctor in determining what to recommend to the patient and it tells the patient, "Yo! Dude! You are one step from falling over the diabetes precipice! Let's see what we need for you to do to keep that from happening."

By the way, obstetricians are very interested in "pre-pregnancy". They advise women on things to do to reduce the risk of problems during pregnancy, like quitting smoking, losing weight, making sure vaccines are up to date (checking for immunity to rubella and chickenpox, for example) and getting adequate folic acid. That also includes ensuring that any chronic medical problems - including diabetes - are under optimal control.

The concept of prediabetes is neither a fad nor nonsense.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Mine is higher than I'd like to see it at 5.5...and I Know why...I'm just NOT able to move as I have for years.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-...ower-your-a1c/

I've ordered some chromium picolinate to help keep levels good.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-v...ing-A1C-levels

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-19-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, jeff. As much as we like to beat each other up on R&S over our theological differences, this we've got in common.

My a1c was 6.4 on June 2. Doc wanted me to go on metformin. I begged him "nooooo, give me to my next appointment (6 months) to get it down with diet and exercise."

I am an ice cream ADDICT, and I know that's mainly what did it and is responsible for the weight gain, too. I have not had real ice cream since, just occasionally the fake high-protein stuff. I have to do this.

I am using My Fitness Pal to record EVERYTHING, walking in good weather, and going to the gym 2-3 times a week. I am losing about a pound a week.

Don't have a glucometer. I will buy one today.

Good luck. Let's both live to fight again!
Update!

My six-month appointment was Friday.

Down 22 pounds.

A1C 5.7

And some other good stuff about cholesterol and triglycerides.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Dropping the weight has sure made a difference....good and keep it off.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Last week I went to my family doc and he wanted to do a A1C test on me first thing. My heart sank when he told me that I was right on the border of being diabetic. I tested at 6.3. Diabetics is something I've worried about getting for years, and even learned how to home test my blood sugar. Unfortunately, on the last couple of years, I let my weight get out of hand and had not tested in awhile.

The doctor almost even started me on metformin which scared me even more. I asked him if I was already at the point of no return and he said no, but I would have to make drastic changes to diet. I did have breakfast before the test, but he said that wouldn't affect the numbers.

I went home and bought some new test strips. I dreaded seeing the number. It would probably be a new high. My first reading was 130, but I had ate some ice cream a couple hours ago. I checked it again two hours later and it was completely normal at 80!

Is it possible that the A1C didn't give me an accurate reading? How worried should I be? At any rate, I'm immediately making big changes starting with only drinking water and no more desserts.
Relax. Your BG levels are very good. It is not a horrible thing to have diabetes. There are many ways of reducing your risk and manage it. You will be looking at food labels now for sugar content. You can still have jam and ice cream. There are brands that have sugar content less than 10 and as low as 5 mg per serving. Start using Splenda (specifically) to sweeten your bran or shreddies and coffee.

An AIC test is preformed on blood that is withdrawn by a lab tech and processed in a lab. The results are the average percentage of sugar in the blood over a three month period and not the same measurement as your get from your own blood glucose meter. Besides 6.3 is an excellent result ! My recent A1C was 8.9 and my doctor was not overly concerned. For me my A1Cs average between 8 and 8.9.

There are new meters that test A1C but I have not used one so not sure if your doctor used one when he tested your blood in his office.

I recommend you learn as much as you can by reading actual books written by doctors and other experts. Stay away from books that claim you can reverse it or use some fad diet.

You can't go wrong by following the Food Guide pyramid.
Good luck.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Relax. Your BG levels are very good. It is not a horrible thing to have diabetes. There are many ways of reducing your risk and manage it. You will be looking at food labels now for sugar content. You can still have jam and ice cream. There are brands that have sugar content less than 10 and as low as 5 mg per serving. Start using Splenda (specifically) to sweeten your bran or shreddies and coffee.

An AIC test is preformed on blood that is withdrawn by a lab tech and processed in a lab. The results are the average percentage of sugar in the blood over a three month period and not the same measurement as your get from your own blood glucose meter. Besides 6.3 is an excellent result ! My recent A1C was 8.9 and my doctor was not overly concerned. For me my A1Cs average between 8 and 8.9.

There are new meters that test A1C but I have not used one so not sure if your doctor used one when he tested your blood in his office.

I recommend you learn as much as you can by reading actual books written by doctors and other experts. Stay away from books that claim you can reverse it or use some fad diet.

You can't go wrong by following the Food Guide pyramid.
Good luck.
6.3 may be an excellent result compared to 8.9 but it converts to a 134. Normal is 70 to 99 and remember that is an average. It's not that bad and you can live with it but if you don't want your diabetes to progress you should always strive for lower numbers. The closer to "normal" the better.

IMO The food pyramid is not appropriate for diabetics but I guess that's why you are satisfied with an A1C of 8.9

Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
My recent A1C was 8.9 and my doctor was not overly concerned. For me my A1Cs average between 8 and 8.9.

Your doctor should be concerned, and so should you--an A1c of 8.9 needs to be brought down considerably. That is very high and dangerous to your body.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Your doctor should be concerned, and so should you--an A1c of 8.9 needs to be brought down considerably. That is very high and dangerous to your body.
8.9? and you are ok with that? oh man. Neuropathy won't be far behind. I DO agree we need not be below 6.2 or 6.3 as diabetics... but anything over 6.5 is cause for concern. A morning reading over 120 same. But 8.9? yikes. A quick calculation you AVERAGE ALMOST 200 blood sugar.. if your doctor is not concerned YOU NEED TO GET ANOTHER DOCTOR.

I have news for all of you...diet is important but you can cheat a little IF you work out and get your heart rate to 80 percent 5 times 30 minutes a week. You will control type 2 diabetes. with ease.

Weight down
moderate portioned meals
WORK OUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes