Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,223,142 times

Advertisements

Here's a good resource for information on reversing or at least minimizing meds Search for "Reversing diabetes" | Dr. William Davis

And this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIXx7Rvelk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,695,099 times
Dr. Michael Greger discusses the role of meat consumption in diabetes. For those who have no desire to either completely eliminate meat their diet, or even restrict it, it's worth noting that Dr. Greger said the method used to prepare meat can be a risk factor in diabetes.

Foods to Avoid to Help Prevent Diabetes
Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on October 24th, 2017
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/10/2...vent-diabetes/

"A 2013 meta-analysis of all the cohorts looking at the connection between meat and diabetes found a significantly higher risk associated with total meat consumption––especially consumption of processed meat, particularly poultry. But why? There’s a whole list of potential culprits in meat: saturated fat, animal fat, trans fats naturally found in meat, cholesterol, or animal protein. It could be the heme iron found in meat, which can lead to free radicals and iron-induced oxidative stress that may lead to chronic inflammation and type 2 diabetes, or advanced glycation end (AGE) products, which promote oxidative stress and inflammation. Food analyses show that the highest levels of these so-called glycotoxins are found in meat—particularly roasted, fried, or broiled meat, though any foods from animal sources (and even high fat and protein plant foods such as nuts) exposed to high dry temperatures can be potent sources of these pro-oxidant chemicals.

In another study, researchers fed diabetics glycotoxin-packed foods, like chicken, fish, and eggs, and their inflammatory markers––tumor necrosis factor, C-reactive protein, and vascular adhesion molecules––shot up. “Thus, in diabetes, environmental (dietary) AGEs promote inflammatory mediators, leading to tissue injury.” The good news is that restriction of these kinds of foods may suppress these inflammatory effects. Appropriate measures to limit AGE intake, such as eliminating meat or using only steaming and boiling as methods for cooking it, “may greatly reduce the already heavy burden of these toxins in the diabetic patient.” These glycotoxins may be the missing link between the increased consumption of animal fat and meats and the development of type 2 diabetes."

Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,031 times
I will second pacific2's recommendation. Dr. Greger's book, How Not to Die teaches how to reduce the risk of 15 killer diseases through diet. He has a website that catalogs videos about health topics, including 194 on diabetes.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/diabetes/

There's even an app called the Daily Dozen that helps you keep track of your healthy diet. The app and content on the website is free. It's all sensible straightforward stuff.

After both my parents died of cancer last year I read the book. It's helped me better understand how diet influences your health and risk for disease. Since then, I have lost 55 pounds and I feel better than I have in years. I don't follow everything but I eat more vegetables, fruits and healthy fats, and exercise more. I still eat meat, but less of it.

My last test from my doctor showed improvement in my blood tests and indicated that my risk of getting diabetes (which runs in my family) has been lowered.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I will second pacific2's recommendation. Dr. Greger's book, How Not to Die teaches how to reduce the risk of 15 killer diseases through diet. He has a website that catalogs videos about health topics, including 194 on diabetes.

There's even an app called the Daily Dozen that helps you keep track of your healthy diet. The app and content on the website is free. It's all sensible straightforward stuff.

After both my parents died of cancer last year I read the book. It's helped me better understand how diet influences your health and risk for disease. Since then, I have lost 55 pounds and I feel better than I have in years. I don't follow everything but I eat more vegetables, fruits and healthy fats, and exercise more. I still eat meat, but less of it.

My last test from my doctor showed improvement in my blood tests and indicated that my risk of getting diabetes (which runs in my family) has been lowered.
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. As painful as it is to lose one parent, I can't imagine how hard it most have been to see them both go in the same year. My mother died of diabetic complications this year, and even though the illness is common in my extended family, I am doing all I can to avoid going down that road. I also lost a older brother to cancer two years ago. Although I don't know if his diet contributed to his demise, it wouldn't surprise me since he was a big meat-eater (plus eggs & cheese), slender in build, who rarely ate fruit, and only had about a cup of veggies each night with his dinner.

Congrats on turning your own health around. I looked at the link you provided, and it shows that even those who just reduce, not entirely eliminate, animal protein consumption, can also lower their diabetes risk.

Diabetes

"Type 2 diabetes, however, is almost always preventable, often treatable, and sometimes even reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. Like other leading killers—especially heart disease and high blood pressure—type 2 diabetes may be an unfortunate consequence of dietary choices. There is hope, though, even if you already have diabetes. Through lifestyle changes, you may be able to achieve a complete remission of type 2 diabetes, even if you’ve been suffering with the disease for decades.

People who eat a plant-based diet have been found to have just a small fraction of the diabetes rate seen in those who regularly eat meat. As diets become increasingly plant-based, there appears to be a stepwise drop in diabetes rates. Based on a study of 89,000 Californians, flexitarians (who eat meat maybe once weekly rather than daily) appear to cut their rate of diabetes by 28 percent, and those who cut out all meat except fish appear to cut their rates in half. What about those eliminating all meat, including fish? They appear to eliminate 61 percent of their risk. And those who go a step farther and drop eggs and dairy, too? They may drop their diabetes rates 78 percent compared with people who eat meat on a daily basis."

BTW, I'm glad that I stumbled across Dr. Greger's fact-based website since it's been a real eye-opener for me.

Last edited by pacific2; 10-24-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,983,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Through lifestyle changes, you may be able to achieve a complete remission of type 2 diabetes, even if you’ve been suffering with the disease for decades.

People who eat a plant-based diet have been found to have just a small fraction of the diabetes rate seen in those who regularly eat meat.

I've been on a plant-based diet since the 70s and still have type 2 diabetes. I'm just sayin'.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've been on a plant-based diet since the 70s and still have type 2 diabetes. I'm just sayin'.
Dr. Greger uses a lot of qualifiers and, of course, never says that a plant-based diet will definitely prevent or reverse diabetes, just better the odds. Dr. John McDougall also says that some of his diabetic patients must remain on medication even though they adhere to his plant-based approach.

Dang, I wish there was a 100 percent reversal or prevention rate, but "it is what it is" while research continues.

BTW, I'm impressed by the fact that you have stuck to a plant-based diet for so long.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,983,482 times
Quote:

BTW, I'm impressed by the fact that you have stuck to a plant-based diet for so long.
I've never cared for meat, so it's easy for me to do.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. As painful as it is to lose one parent, I can't imagine how hard it most have been to see them both go in the same year. My mother died of diabetic complications this year, and even though the illness is common in my extended family, I am doing all I can to avoid going down that road. I also lost a older brother to cancer two years ago. Although I don't know if his diet contributed to his demise, it wouldn't surprise me since he was a big meat-eater (plus eggs & cheese), slender in build, who rarely ate fruit, and only had about a cup of veggies each night with his dinner.

Congrats on turning your own health around. I looked at the link you provided, and it shows that even those who just reduce, not entirely eliminate, animal protein consumption, can also lower their diabetes risk.

Diabetes

"Type 2 diabetes, however, is almost always preventable, often treatable, and sometimes even reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. Like other leading killers—especially heart disease and high blood pressure—type 2 diabetes may be an unfortunate consequence of dietary choices. There is hope, though, even if you already have diabetes. Through lifestyle changes, you may be able to achieve a complete remission of type 2 diabetes, even if you’ve been suffering with the disease for decades.

People who eat a plant-based diet have been found to have just a small fraction of the diabetes rate seen in those who regularly eat meat. As diets become increasingly plant-based, there appears to be a stepwise drop in diabetes rates. Based on a study of 89,000 Californians, flexitarians (who eat meat maybe once weekly rather than daily) appear to cut their rate of diabetes by 28 percent, and those who cut out all meat except fish appear to cut their rates in half. What about those eliminating all meat, including fish? They appear to eliminate 61 percent of their risk. And those who go a step farther and drop eggs and dairy, too? They may drop their diabetes rates 78 percent compared with people who eat meat on a daily basis."

BTW, I'm glad that I stumbled across Dr. Greger's fact-based website since it's been a real eye-opener for me.
Thanks! I'm glad to have Dr. Greger's website, too!

Old 10-28-2017, 04:17 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Dr. Michael Greger discusses the role of meat consumption in diabetes. For those who have no desire to either completely eliminate meat their diet, or even restrict it, it's worth noting that Dr. Greger said the method used to prepare meat can be a risk factor in diabetes.

Foods to Avoid to Help Prevent Diabetes
Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on October 24th, 2017
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/10/2...vent-diabetes/

"A 2013 meta-analysis of all the cohorts looking at the connection between meat and diabetes found a significantly higher risk associated with total meat consumption––especially consumption of processed meat, particularly poultry. But why? There’s a whole list of potential culprits in meat: saturated fat, animal fat, trans fats naturally found in meat, cholesterol, or animal protein. It could be the heme iron found in meat, which can lead to free radicals and iron-induced oxidative stress that may lead to chronic inflammation and type 2 diabetes, or advanced glycation end (AGE) products, which promote oxidative stress and inflammation. Food analyses show that the highest levels of these so-called glycotoxins are found in meat—particularly roasted, fried, or broiled meat, though any foods from animal sources (and even high fat and protein plant foods such as nuts) exposed to high dry temperatures can be potent sources of these pro-oxidant chemicals.

In another study, researchers fed diabetics glycotoxin-packed foods, like chicken, fish, and eggs, and their inflammatory markers––tumor necrosis factor, C-reactive protein, and vascular adhesion molecules––shot up. “Thus, in diabetes, environmental (dietary) AGEs promote inflammatory mediators, leading to tissue injury.” The good news is that restriction of these kinds of foods may suppress these inflammatory effects. Appropriate measures to limit AGE intake, such as eliminating meat or using only steaming and boiling as methods for cooking it, “may greatly reduce the already heavy burden of these toxins in the diabetic patient.” These glycotoxins may be the missing link between the increased consumption of animal fat and meats and the development of type 2 diabetes."
Pure BS.

Copious studies showing hi protein (ie- meat) low carb diets are vastly superior to traditional "calorie counting" (like exchange diets) in treating diabetes.

As I've said here before, nutritional studies like those that this so called authority is siting are based on questionnaires asking subjects things like " how much cured, salted meat did you eat everyday over the last 40 yrs?" They rely on the subjects memory, honesty and ignore the tendency of subjects to try to please the researchers with the "proper" answers. Pseudoscience.

Cultures such as the Sioux and the Germanic tribes encountered by Caesar in Gaul relied almost exclusively on animal based food and rarely allowed plant material to cross their lips. They were among the healthiest people ever.

C-reactive protein is a marker of inflammatory reaction. Check any site that reports "inflammatory index" and you'll see flesh is very low on the scale and grains very high.

"Dog bites man" is not news. This guy is just looking for his 15 minutes of fame by publishing something out of the ordinary--"Man bites dog."

Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Pure BS.

Copious studies showing hi protein (ie- meat) low carb diets are vastly superior to traditional "calorie counting" (like exchange diets) in treating diabetes.

As I've said here before, nutritional studies like those that this so called authority is siting are based on questionnaires asking subjects things like " how much cured, salted meat did you eat everyday over the last 40 yrs?" They rely on the subjects memory, honesty and ignore the tendency of subjects to try to please the researchers with the "proper" answers. Pseudoscience.

Cultures such as the Sioux and the Germanic tribes encountered by Caesar in Gaul relied almost exclusively on animal based food and rarely allowed plant material to cross their lips. They were among the healthiest people ever.

C-reactive protein is a marker of inflammatory reaction. Check any site that reports "inflammatory index" and you'll see flesh is very low on the scale and grains very high.

"Dog bites man" is not news. This guy is just looking for his 15 minutes of fame by publishing something out of the ordinary--"Man bites dog."
Wow, why don't you just click on the link and actually read it? It's pretty obvious that you didn't.

"This guy," as you refer to Dr. Greger, actually runs his site as a nonprofit, reporting on nutrition research conducted by other scientists. That study was actually conducted by researchers at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. He is looking to educate the public about adopting healthier habits, not for fame.

Personally, I have benefitted quite a bit from what I learned by reading his book, losing 55 pounds and improving my overall health. I would recommend How Not to Die to anyone wanting to avoid 15 of the worst diseases that routinely kill us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes