Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:56 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I'd like to post sample meals if no one minds, at least until my monitor arrives...

Lunch was:

Pumpernikel (sp) half slice 8 net carbs
Tuna salad (onions, celery, pickles)
Chard, kale and spinach
3 grape tomatoes
quarter avocado

I had the pumpernikel (I don't like wasting food), not a fave and need to use the tomatoes

I have to keep my veggies if I can
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'd like to post sample meals if no one minds, at least until my monitor arrives...

Lunch was:

Pumpernikel (sp) half slice 8 net carbs
Tuna salad (onions, celery, pickles)
Chard, kale and spinach
3 grape tomatoes
quarter avocado

I had the pumpernikel (I don't like wasting food), not a fave and need to use the tomatoes

I have to keep my veggies if I can
If this is representative of your diet i doubt you have any diabetic concerns.
Your meter will tell you of what works and what doesnt. .after eating wait at least 2 hours before retesting your Blood sugar..

Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Your dinner plan sounds great. Seafood and sunshine!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If this is representative of your diet i doubt you have any diabetic concerns.
Your meter will tell you of what works and what doesnt. .after eating wait at least 2 hours before retesting your Blood sugar..
That's my change. I would have had home made split bean soup or 15 bean soup..... I'm just waiting for my meter.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Ok, I think I found the problem.

While I consider myself the poster child of who should NOT get diabetes (normal weight, exercise, eat healthy), apparently I am the poster child of those who DO get it......

People with RA are 50% more likely to get type 2 diabetes.

So now my autoimmune count is 4: psoriasis, RA, thyroid and soon to be..... diabetes.

I do have hope that I can figure out what foods are the culprits though and put off getting it as long as possible.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:

I do have hope that I can figure out what foods are the culprits though and put off getting it as long as possible.
Your glucometer will be your best friend. You'll work it out and be the poster child of successfully controlled type 2.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Ok, I think I found the problem.

While I consider myself the poster child of who should NOT get diabetes (normal weight, exercise, eat healthy), apparently I am the poster child of those who DO get it......

People with RA are 50% more likely to get type 2 diabetes.

So now my autoimmune count is 4: psoriasis, RA, thyroid and soon to be..... diabetes.

And it's not hopeless for you if you do get it. I know people who have normal A1C levels from diet, exercise and meds.

I'm hypothyroid, too. So is my sister. So was my mother.

My sister and I are walking the same path...I'm a little farther down the road. We argue about my dad, who died at 57. His brother was diabetic, just died at 87, but he was very careful.. His mother died at 63... his other brother died at 43...

I firmly believe my dad's family had undiagnosed diabetes. I think if today's numbers had been effect at the times of their demises, they wouldn't have died, they would have been under treatment.

My sister says that heart disease exists outside of diabetes. Which is true, but I think I since I have it and she's pre, and so was my mom, and my paternal uncle and a couple of paternal cousins.... I think I'm right. Daddy had diabetes, and heart disease and the undiagnosed diabetes made his heart disease worse.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 PM

I have an appt. with my GP on Monday. I read a good book on diabetes, one, because that is my nature and two, my GP is a GP, she takes my tests, treats my colds.. but not much beyond that.

I suspect that I have type 1.5 or LADA, due to existing autoimmune problems. I will ask for a GAB65 test for antibodies. I feel she should have thought of that when my 3rd A1c came back at 5.9. She knows my lifestyle, my diet and all that. Anything else I should ask for?

That wouldn't be an ideal result, as I feel it would be better if I could just control it with diet and exercise, but it will be what it will be.

So now I am curious.... for those here who have diabetes, is it Type 1, 1.5 or 2?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Mikala43 you make it sound like getting diabetes is a death sentence, How do you envision your life if you do get the diagnosis that you are diabetic?.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
So now I am curious.... for those here who have diabetes, is it Type 1, 1.5 or 2?
Have your doctor do a C-Peptide Test.
C-Peptide

It could be LADA from the sounds of it. Your pancreas may not be producing enough insulin on it's own but the C-Peptide should tell you that.

Type 1.5 Diabetes - Information, Symptoms, Misdiagnosis, Medication & Alternative Names

A1C of 5.9 is not terrible but since these things are usually progressive it's best to handle it early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes