Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post

We live a reduced-carb lifestyle (60g a day) and get plenty of exercise. IMO if more people did this the ADA might find themselves in a financial crisis.
Out of curiosity how do you measure carbs? as i'd like to go on a carb reduced regimen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 12:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Out of curiosity how do you measure carbs? as i'd like to go on a carb reduced regimen.
I used to read labels, and add up the carbs myself.

These days, I use MyFitnessPal instead. You enter everything you've eaten for the day, and it adds up the carbs, calories, and such for you. Their food database is huge, and you can add your own recipes if you want, to get all the numbers. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
I have most of them memorized by now. It's much easier to remember which foods to avoid.

I know that anything with grains like wheat, corn, and rice is going to be high. Obviously sugar as well. Starches like potatoes will really make you spike.

There are tons of websites and charts.

This one is helpful.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Old 09-26-2019, 12:36 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
I have most of them memorized by now. It's much easier to remember which foods to avoid.

I know that anything with grains like wheat, corn, and rice is going to be high. Obviously sugar as well. Starches like potatoes will really make you spike.

I do not really do an exact count but stay within a certain limit.

There are tons of website and charts.

This one is helpful.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,586,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
That was me 10 years ago. After a Type2 diagnosis (6.4 A1C), I lost 30 pounds, went on a low-carb diet, increased exercise, and got my A1C down to 5.9. My then doctor was very happy with that When we changed locations, I started seeing a very kind older doctor who wanted me to go on medication because I have the bad family history (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke), and because the pancreas isn't working right, it was only a matter of time until it would become harder to control blood sugar and damage could be done without my realizing it. I dismissed that for about 4 years, and then my A1C started creeping up. My weight is ideal for my height, I'm very active, and my diet is still low-carb. I even had a diabetic nutritionist tell me recently that I wasn't eating enough carbs. At first, I could drop another 5 pounds and see the numbers drop a small amount, but there's really no more weight to lose. So I agreed to start taking medication about 6 months ago. My genetic predisposition is strong and that is the case for many people with Type 2.
If you're taking atorvastatin or one of the stronger statins, you could ask to switch to pravastatin, which has negligible effect on fasting blood glucose.

effect of statins on fasting bg

The three strongest statins raise fasting insulin by 35-45 percent. They cause inflammation in the pancreas. There are reports that fish oil supplements targeted to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides have the same effect.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM

12,854 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're taking atorvastatin or one of the stronger statins, you could ask to switch to pravastatin, which has negligible effect on fasting blood glucose.

effect of statins on fasting bg

The three strongest statins raise fasting insulin by 35-45 percent. They cause inflammation in the pancreas. There are reports that fish oil supplements targeted to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides have the same effect.
Interesting. Gotta talk to the new doc about that

Old 09-30-2019, 01:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
My cousin refused to take a statin because of studies like this. Then he died of coronary heart disease. Just sayin'.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,789 times
Funny you should mention this: atorvastatin which I believe is Lipitor.
I began taking 10 mg 2 days ago. Have severe insomnia last night (one of the side effects) so I'm throwing it all away.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,586,772 times
I mentioned it to a friend who's been taking pravastatin for 20 years. He is prediabetes at age 75 which is not bad. There are different options for statins. I think he had muscle pain at the beginning which went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My cousin refused to take a statin because of studies like this. Then he died of coronary heart disease. Just sayin'.
And now they no longer recommend statins for primary prevention of heart attacks as of 2015. He's just as likely to have died if he was taking statins.

Last edited by lchoro; 10-01-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-03-2019, 05:17 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
Prediabetes means you do not have diabetes.

You do not need medication for a disease you do not have.

Maintain a healthy weight, healthy (lower carb) diet, get sleep and exercise. Maintain your physical health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes