Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 06:21 AM

453 posts, read 120,019 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with that and Diabetes type 2--3 years ago. If my sugar gets too high I get stabbing in my feet but controlling my diet better with normal sugar readings now I have little foot pain.

I noticed sometimes my one foot gets really cold and in Winter it is worse with the drafts that come in.

Can anyone relate or what do you experience with this condition and how do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 06:07 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinepurple View Post
I was diagnosed with that and Diabetes type 2--3 years ago. If my sugar gets too high I get stabbing in my feet but controlling my diet better with normal sugar readings now I have little foot pain.

I noticed sometimes my one foot gets really cold and in Winter it is worse with the drafts that come in.

Can anyone relate or what do you experience with this condition and how do you deal with it?
I have it , started couple months ago , I’m trying laser treatment for it , only had a few treatments

but my feet seem to be feeling a bit better , I have no pain in my feet so far , but there numb and my balance is off , I haven’t looked into shoes for it yet , but socks do help …my feet feel cold at night, but feeling at them they don’t feel cold to the touch but to me they seem like a block of ice ? All I know is there’s no cure for it , which is very scaring !

Like to know if anyone else has tried laser treatment . I do have type 2 diabetes

Last edited by Senior7; 07-26-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 03:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
I have had PN for several years now. While my numbers are under control right now I have seen little relief in my pain. The neuropathy travels from my feet up into my legs and I have it in both hands. A couple years ago I noticed I was feeling off balance in things like the shower when I would close my eyes to rinse out the shampoo. This has not improved and may even be worse. My podiatrist-surgeon told me that at age 62 I have neuropathy worse than most of his patients. Night time is the worst for me and in the winter time I will often go stand out on the back deck for a few minutes in the freezing cold in an attempt to cool down my feet before I go to bed. Seems to help just a little. Gabapentin may help a little but it is no cure all.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I have had PN for several years now. While my numbers are under control right now I have seen little relief in my pain. The neuropathy travels from my feet up into my legs and I have it in both hands. A couple years ago I noticed I was feeling off balance in things like the shower when I would close my eyes to rinse out the shampoo. This has not improved and may even be worse. My podiatrist-surgeon told me that at age 62 I have neuropathy worse than most of his patients. Night time is the worst for me and in the winter time I will often go stand out on the back deck for a few minutes in the freezing cold in an attempt to cool down my feet before I go to bed. Seems to help just a little. Gabapentin may help a little but it is no cure all.
Oh my goodness , you poor dear , I’m much older than you , just started with it a few weeks ago , can’t believe how fast it came on , I know it can’t get better , I’m trying laser for now , but not expecting much , I find wearing socks at night helps , but my balance is way off , i don’t think I’d dare close my eyes in the shower , I’m just starting to look for shoes now , my doctor says Medicare will pay for shoes for my neuropathy , I keep putting it off …

Old 07-28-2021, 06:21 PM

Also to add , my feet feel like blocks of ice when I’m in bed , but then feeling at them there not cold at all , so hard to concentrate on walking too thinking your going to fall at any time , I’m often told there’s no cure for this , I hate hearing it , it’s like people can’t wait to tell you what you already know .

Old 07-28-2021, 07:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Yep. Told I was type 2 several years ago, taking metformin of course, and have had PN coming on for probably 18 months or so. Cold feet, numbness, random pain, balance issues. At 75 there isn't much I can do about it.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:28 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Get your blood glucose, Blood pressure, heart rate, lipids under control. Doesn't need to be perfect but under control.
It's a dance to which you don't understand the music, ... yet.

Last edited by leastprime; 07-28-2021 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2021, 05:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Oh my goodness , you poor dear , I’m much older than you , just started with it a few weeks ago , can’t believe how fast it came on , I know it can’t get better , I’m trying laser for now , but not expecting much , I find wearing socks at night helps , but my balance is way off , i don’t think I’d dare close my eyes in the shower , I’m just starting to look for shoes now , my doctor says Medicare will pay for shoes for my neuropathy , I keep putting it off …

It's funny how we all react differently with our symptoms. Not a chance I could wear socks to bed as they just make the pain worse. The cold is not an issue for me with my feet but the rubbing on the sheets, at least when I first lay down, can be excruciating. As far as shoes. I wear 16 4X so Diabetic shoes seem to be very limited. I switched though to slip on Skechers and this have been by far the most comfortable shoes I've worn in years. Not perfect but better than other brand names and they are quite a bit cheaper. But I have read some negative reviews on how they are not good for some due to the memory foam. For me they are working though.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
It's funny how we all react differently with our symptoms. Not a chance I could wear socks to bed as they just make the pain worse. The cold is not an issue for me with my feet but the rubbing on the sheets, at least when I first lay down, can be excruciating. As far as shoes. I wear 16 4X so Diabetic shoes seem to be very limited. I switched though to slip on Skechers and this have been by far the most comfortable shoes I've worn in years. Not perfect but better than other brand names and they are quite a bit cheaper. But I have read some negative reviews on how they are not good for some due to the memory foam. For me they are working though.
The side of one foot has just started to feel sore like it’s been rubbing agains something , but hasn’t of course , nothing there to see at all, it’s all just feelings , like feeling cold feet , but not cold to

touch , my main problem is balance outside the house , it actually feels like I’m walking on sponges , sponges of all different shapes and sizes , I’ve put off looking at shoes so far but I am going to try on some Skechers this week , slippers in the house , not much problem so far , but I’m unable to tell if my laser treatments are helping or if I’m just getting use to my feet feeling this way now.

So far I don’t need medication …not yet anyhow . I’ve been on Metformin for about 15 years

Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
I went thru that stage as well. Could not stand to have even a sheet touch my toes. That went away as the numbness and random pain got worse.

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes