Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 06:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times

Advertisements

There are vegetarians who are /not/ genetically pre-disposed to diabetes, who develop diabetes.

So that kinda throws the "meat causes diabetes" and "you're born with diabetes" theories right out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 03:31 PM

7,270 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There are vegetarians who are /not/ genetically pre-disposed to diabetes, who develop diabetes.

So that kinda throws the "meat causes diabetes" and "you're born with diabetes" theories right out the window.
Since we don't know most of the genotypes predisposing to DM, how do we know those diabetic veg-heads aren't genetically predisposed?

Please document your statement with some credible evidence.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
And dying causes death.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:09 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
But I find that the more I focus on eating fats over protein and especially carbs, the less hungry I become. So as long as I consume a very high proportion of my calories as fats, the easier it is to lose weight. The more carbs I consume, the hungrier I get and the more weight I gain. For me eating meat protein satiates my hunger longer than carbs but less than eating fats.
You probably should always strive to take 1g per kg of protein, and 0.5-1g per kg of healthy fats. And then everything else can be carbs, which you can increase or decrease based on your activity levels and goals. This is how I plan my diet, start what you need for optimal performance, and add everything else based on what direction you want your weight to go.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:15 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Let's put it this way:

If a given diabetic has a calorie limit of, say, "X" calories per day beyond which his BS & HbA1c will start drifting up above an acceptable level, he will be able to better meet his other nutritional requirements (protein, vits & mins) if he includes more calories from meat and less from hi carb foods while he's trying to limit calories....

Don't forget that a bowl of pasta (1 cup) is ~200 cal of carbs-- the same as eating 12 tsp of sugar. (At least the pasta is a good source of niacin, folate & thiamine.)

3 oz of beef is also ~200 cal including 15 gm of protein and no carbs...but keep in mind that protein can be easily turned into glucose in your liver....

...In fact, all protein, carbs & fats are freely inter-converted in the liver (Remember "Acetyl CoA"?)...It's not what you eat but how much that really counts
Protein can be converted into glucose than glycogen through a process called "gluconeogenesis" but it's an incredibly expensive process, where much energy is lost, and your body does this as a last resort (when all its protein requirements are met, and it's short on glycogen).

Meanwhile carbohydrates cannot be converted into protein/amino acids.

Glycogen can be converted into fatty acids, known as lipogensis. However, fat/fatty acids cannot be converted into glucose/glycogen. They can be used directly as energy though.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:12 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Soy is not great if you are hypothyroid either. . . and plants are not benign. . . I'm allergic to a ton of them actually . . . but they are sprayed with too many pesticides . . or engineered . . .

Bottom line is there is not one magic answer no matter how many headlines they want to blast at us.

I just do the best I can manage within the limits of my budget and non-interest in cooking and don't worry too much about it.
Thank you, I've had hypothyroidism for years, and since have been diagnosed with diabetes and chronic kidney disease, I've been avoiding animal protein and substituted some soy in my diet. I had no idea that soy effected Synthroid.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:30 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m not sure I believe this.

This seems more like a plot to stop people from eating red meat, so we can somehow “save the planet”.
I don't believe it and I think you're right. There's a huge movement going on to get people to stop eating red meat or meat in general. Anyone who eats meat knows this information is false. Study the disease long enough and you learn what does cause it but that's not what's being discussed so I'll say that red meat does NOT cause diabetes and leave it at that.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:33 PM

7,270 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Protein can be converted into glucose than glycogen through a process called "gluconeogenesis" but it's an incredibly expensive process, where much energy is lost, and your body does this as a last resort (when all its protein requirements are met, and it's short on glycogen).

Meanwhile carbohydrates cannot be converted into protein/amino acids.

Glycogen can be converted into fatty acids, known as lipogensis. However, fat/fatty acids cannot be converted into glucose/glycogen. They can be used directly as energy though.
Actually, everything we eat is turned into acetyl- Co-A and then we anabolize that into everything else ,excepting vitamins, essential AAs & a few essential lipids.

In regards the conspiracy theory-- remember in Oliver Twist when Oliver finally reaches his limit after he's indentured to the undertaker and pitches a fit and the Beadle is called back to try to tame him down?... "It's the meat! You shouldn't have fed him any meat!"

It s all about control.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:01 AM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
You probably should always strive to take 1g per kg of protein, and 0.5-1g per kg of healthy fats. And then everything else can be carbs, which you can increase or decrease based on your activity levels and goals. This is how I plan my diet, start what you need for optimal performance, and add everything else based on what direction you want your weight to go.
Because I ate too much processed crap food, sugars, bad oils, etc. when I was younger along with family history of diabetes, I developed Type 2 Diabetes and no longer have the luxury of consuming carbs, if I consume carbs, my blood sugar spikes to the moon.

In a normal day now, I consume zero carbs. The benefit to eating a carnivore no carb diet is my weight is fantastic, my muscles are strong and cut, and my autoimmune system is not reacting to plant foods.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:32 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
Actually the original title is published here: New Harvard Study Finds That Red and Processed Meat Increase the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

Notice PROCESSED MEATS was left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes