Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 11:46 AM

505 posts, read 258,405 times

Advertisements

For me diet and exercise do work to control my BS. Have been "diet controlled" Type II diabetic for several years now.

I am 76, ovo-lacto vegetarian, and walk up to three miles a day. I don't know that the supplements I take have anything to do with my BS, but I do know that what I take seem to prevent leg cramps.

On the other hand, I didn't do much to limit my BS, all I did was reduce my soda intake and increase my water intake, and my numbers came down. I had given up cake, cookies, chocolate, donuts, etc., a long time back just to manage my weight ( 6'3" and 195# ), so the only thing left was soda. My doctor is happy and I am happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 12:17 PM

30,356 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
both running and weight lifting drive my glucose higher not lower …especially running …it dumps lots of glycogen in to my blood .

numbers are higher then when i start
Yeah but the theory as I understand it is that your body converts your fat to sugar to support your burning motor so as you burn down your fat store, it will increase your insulin sensitivity. That is the basics of how I have been working to get my A1C into normal range and I finally did it after many years and experiments.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:19 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
whatever it does my sugar is higher when i get home from the gym

Old 01-18-2024, 03:12 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit001111 View Post
Seeking advice on health supplements for Type 2 Diabetes management!

niacin, chromium picolinate, vanadium, berberine, selenium

probiotics, prebiotics

digestive enzymes

Old 01-19-2024, 06:26 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
whatever it does my sugar is higher when i get home from the gym
The normal regulation of BS levels is fouled up in diabetics...When you exercise, you use up circulating glucose, so the body responds by first mobilizing glycogen ("animal starch") to keep BS levels up-- As a diabetic, you've lost the fine control, so your BS rebounds to excessive levels....Wait awhile and they'll come back down. Exercise helps keep you HbA1c ("3 month average" of BS) down....When you exercise, your HR & BP also go up-- That doesn't mean they stay up forever.

I had a pt having trouble maintaining his BS. He said that he was getting fatter & fatter and that his wife would have nothing to do with him anymore...I prescribed a strict diet and told him to run 10 miles every day and to call me in a week...A week went by and he called. He said he was following the diet, doing the running and losing weight..."Does your wife like you any better?" I asked..."I don't know," he said.."I'm 70 miles from home now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes